Votes: 26 40.0%
  • Yes, Oxford/Zeneca

Votes: 39 60.0%
  • Yes, don't know which

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

krish

Distinguished Member
My elderly folks had no side effects from their first AZ injection. While I, soon to be 49, had my shoulder physically twinge during the Janssen trial dose 1 injection, with some shivers, tenderness and lethargy for the rest of the day - and it might have only been the saline placebo!

goingoingong

Distinguished Member
My elderly folks had no side effects from their first AZ injection. While I, soon to be 49, had my shoulder physically twinge during the Janssen trial dose 1 injection, with some shivers, tenderness and lethargy for the rest of the day - and it might have only been the saline placebo!
I had more sharp pain in my shoulder in the several days preceeding the jab than afterwards.
I reckoned Tenet backwards in time as involved.
Worryingly that would mean any immunity was being extracted rather than inserted...:eek:

Andrew1472

Distinguished Member
Well I felt virtually no side effect and I'm 68 and the wife is 64 and she had a bit of a headache and felt a bit sluggish the morning after. So maybe the slight difference in our ages could explain the small difference in our after effects.

The main thing is though with us oldies is do we get the same benefits from the jab as you yung uns!!! :smashin:
Probably just that we all react slightly differently.
I’m 69, and it’s more than possible my version of feeling horrible is your “virtually no side effects”.
The headache I had could easily have been a headache I would have had anyway...who knows?? I think I had a tension headache driving to the vaccination centre, so it may have been a continuation of that??

jmacc

Distinguished Member
Probably just that we all react slightly differently.
I’m 69, and it’s more than possible my version of feeling horrible is your “virtually no side effects”.
The headache I had could easily have been a headache I would have had anyway...who knows?? I think I had a tension headache driving to the vaccination centre, so it may have been a continuation of that??
For us this was no ordinary headache, and I get fairly bad migraines.
this was like your brain trying to burst out of your skull, with ongoing shooting / stabbing brain pains. So glad that's over lol.

I do get saddened when I'm on other forums or Reddit etc and keep seeing people saying Pfizer is the one you want, az is not as good etc.. kinda puts a downer on things, especially as we felt so terrible after the first jab :(
And also especially after a long year of sheltering with a disabled child :rolleyes:

Luminated67

Distinguished Member
For us this was no ordinary headache, and I get fairly bad migraines.
this was like your brain trying to burst out of your skull, with ongoing shooting / stabbing brain pains. So glad that's over lol.

I do get saddened when I'm on other forums or Reddit etc and keep seeing people saying Pfizer is the one you want, az is not as good etc.. kinda puts a downer on things, especially as we felt so terrible after the first jab :(
And also especially after a long year of sheltering with a disabled child :rolleyes:
When I got Covid in May I didn’t know I had it and it wasn’t until the son took it bad shortly after that it was confirmed. Like I said didn’t know I had it, a headache like I can get which lasted 3-4 days and the was it, the thing is about 6 weeks later that headache came back and with a vengeance, your description of bursting out of your head was what I had for several weeks and the only relief was cocodemol, after the headache came calf cramp again for weeks combined with hip pain (I was advised to try antihistamine the prescription ones and these helped quite a bit so keep in mind) and then insomnia for above a fortnight along with what can only be described as the nerve endings on your scalp being hyper sensitive but only at the back right hand side (something both the wife and son experienced but at different time periods).

Even to this day the son’s heart rate can spike to 130-140 whilst sitting on the sofa and only recently has my oxygen stats returned to normal.

For those that think this virus is BS and that long Covid is the same are very lucky people not to have experienced either. This thing is very REAL and the vaccine is the only road back to some form of normality.

jmacc

Distinguished Member
When I got Covid in May I didn’t know I had it and it wasn’t until the son took it bad shortly after that it was confirmed. Like I said didn’t know I had it, a headache like I can get which lasted 3-4 days and the was it, the thing is about 6 weeks later that headache came back and with a vengeance, your description of bursting out of your head was what I had for several weeks and the only relief was cocodemol, after the headache came calf cramp again for weeks combined with hip pain (I was advised to try antihistamine the prescription ones and these helped quite a bit so keep in mind) and then insomnia for above a fortnight along with what can only be described as the nerve endings on your scalp being hyper sensitive but only at the back right hand side (something both the wife and son experienced but at different time periods).

Even to this day the son’s heart rate can spike to 130-140 whilst sitting on the sofa and only recently has my oxygen stats returned to normal.

For those that think this virus is BS and that long Covid is the same are very lucky people not to have experienced either. This thing is very REAL and the vaccine is the only road back to some form of normality.
It's so scary how completely random it is :(
I do hope you all get back to full health soon :love:

Luminated67

Distinguished Member
It's so scary how completely random it is :(
I do hope you all get back to full health soon :love:
Owning a supermarket I just worked through it, apart for the isolation period but it was tough going at times. The effect on the son has been more challenging because being paralysed from the waist down the virus has took his strength so having to do much more for him which he normally did himself has knocked his self confidence.

The real surprise to me is that with 60 staff in total 3 of us has had the virus and I know I was the only one who caught it at work as the others were on holidays when they caught it. Based on my experience I would class the supermarkets a relatively safe environment as your contact with others is for a short period and everyone is masked. I reckon it’s what happens at home even talking to neighbours when your guard is down that the spread is happening most.

Last edited:

mij

Me and the wife had the Oxford/Zeneca a few days ago, she has only had a slightly sore arm with no other side effects, but I have had the worst fever of my life with severe aches & pains and the worst headache that I have ever had in my life, 3 days later and I still have joint & muscle aches with random sweats.

I have had proper flu a couple of times in my life and this was worse, I am a reasonably fit 65 year old and am not looking forward to the second dose at all.

Tight Git

Distinguished Member
I have had proper flu a couple of times in my life and this was worse, I am a reasonably fit 65 year old and am not looking forward to the second dose at all.

I've always found that if I'm dreading something, it generally turns out to be not as bad as I'd thought.

Keep that in mind for the next 12 weeks and I'm sure you'll be fine! :lesson:

Lee

Had the Oxford jab on Friday. During the night and on Saturday my arm felt like Mike Tyson had punched it for 10 rounds but now, 2 days later, it is fine. No other issues.

mij

I've always found that if I'm dreading something, it generally turns out to be not as bad as I'd thought.

Keep that in mind for the next 12 weeks and I'm sure you'll be fine! :lesson:
I once had a boxing match with a man 4 stone heavier than me and it did turn out as bad as I thought it would :( :D

I feel ok now but still have a massive red & very sore mark where I had the jab and the pain from it goes up into the left side of my neck, and strangely I have a similar pain in my right thigh muscle...Next time I am going to do a quick switch and take my wifes jab as she has had no side effects at all :D

I have read that people that have had Covid-19 (I think I had it last year) may have worse side effects and that the second dose may produce even worse side effects than the first dose did.

Not sure if anyone is aware but you can check online at the NHS site to see if you're elegible for the vaccine and book it straight in.

I managed to book my wife's today as she hadn't heard anything, all booked in for tomorrow with the second booked for May 12th :)

Lucky I did as she received a shielding letter a moment ago through the post and has to stay in until the end of March.

All you need is your NHS number

Tight Git

Distinguished Member
Not sure if anyone is aware but you can check online at the NHS site to see if you're elegible for the vaccine and book it straight in.
The problem with booking via the NHS site is that, at least in my case, the jab centre may not be local.

I waited until a local jab via my GP was available.

3 miles was better than 30, especially with a sore arm!

The problem with booking via the NHS site is that, at least in my case, the jab centre may not be local.

I waited until a local jab via my GP was available.

3 miles was better than 30, especially with a sore arm!
That is true, fortunately it's only a 4 mile drive to the main hub for vaccinations here. I'm not even sure if local GP's are doing them here yet, my daughter had to go to the local hospital about 12 miles away for hers.

My wife doesn't drive so it will be either me or my daughter taking her.

I received my invitation by text this afternoon, tried to book online and it wouldn't let me.

Spent half an hour on hold to 119 who told me they couldn't book it and to phone my surgery.

I phone there and after waiting in a queue for 10 minutes the rude receptionist said the text was sent in error, this is before I even tell her who I am or any details, I'm very annoyed to say the least.

WeeScottishLass

Distinguished Member
I received my invitation by text this afternoon, tried to book online and it wouldn't let me.

Spent half an hour on hold to 119 who told me they couldn't book it and to phone my surgery.

I phone there and after waiting in a queue for 10 minutes the rude receptionist said the text was sent in error, this is before I even tell her who I am or any details, I'm very annoyed to say the least.
I'm not surprised!! I'd be spitting feathers if that were me!

Luminated67

Distinguished Member
I know it’s annoying but this is a monumental exercise they are trying to conduct and errors are going to happen. Be patient your time will come.

I know it’s annoying but this is a monumental exercise they are trying to conduct and errors are going to happen. Be patient your time will come.
I agree my time will come, the sooner the better for me though, I was just frustrated as been waiting for my appointment and thought I was there only for them to snatch it away at the last minute ☹️

At least my wife has had hers this morning so that's one less worry.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Large Screen HDR TV or Projector For Home Cinema + Best of the Month

Latest News

AVForums Podcast: 27th February 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Musical Fidelity launches M3x Vinyl phono stage
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
SVS launches 1000 Pro Series subwoofers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published