1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Have you got dents in the back panel of your HD5?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by johann1979, Aug 3, 2005.

1. johann1979

johann1979
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Still on the build quality of the HD5 - I really do feel like an old women here, having moaned constantly about everything from cracks, scratches to now, most recently dents. My new HD5HS arrived today and I just want to get a rough idea how easily the unit dents.

My first HD5 mysteriously acquired an annoying dent in the back after fairly careful use and I read about a few people who 'discovered' dents in their HD5 that came seemingly from nowhere. Have you discovered any dents?

Lastly I really do wish Sony learns alot from this player and go back to the strong and sturdy build quality they have been known for. My previous minidisc player looked and felt bullet proof even after having been dropped a few times. :)

2. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dear Diary ...

Week 4 - still no dents. Some light screen scratches, though, caused by the FELT CASE (why?!!!).

Am going out. I may be some time ...

johann, your expedition continues! Good luck!

3. Sasso

Sasso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No dents so far, thankfully, and I dont have a case. Yes I agree I hope sony learn from this player of what not to do. They can atleast make up for it by releasing decent firmware.
    I used my Minidisk as a soccer ball and it still went strong....till i took it apart and the tape like wires developed a crack....bye bye screen and controls......ill probably send it in when i send in the HD5 to fix the cracks and get the dust removed.

4. johann1979

johann1979
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the feedback so far guys. I actually sent an email to Sony complaining about the screen. My screen also got scratches which clearly happened inside the felt case. I emailed them and told them that at £200 you expect something to be made out of stronger and better materials. The materials should be fit for its purpose, the problem is that it can't be taken back as 'surface damage' is not covered by the warranty and anybody will have a hard time convincing any retailer that the scratches are due to the materials used, and not the way it was handled.

They had excuses for everything - typical. Anyway - thanks so far :) Also, while we are on the topic of surface damage - can anyone tell me whether the body actually scratches easily? The proporta PDA style case I got for it doesn't cover the sides... :)

5. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,767
    I feel another long thread coming on here :D ;)

6. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have one of these cases on order. I have a scratch (very light but noticeable) on the back of the player, which I believe was my fault - put it down on something abrasive by mistake. Otherwise, seems not to scratch too easily.

Here's to a return to the Sony build quality of old on future players :lease:

7. johann1979

johann1979
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey John, hehe - It will take more than a few unhappy shoppers and perhaps more than a handful of dents to get this thread anywhere as long as the other one ;)

8. Sasso

Sasso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hehehe. I think any thread about the HD5's problems will be very long because Sony never do anything about it.....

Yeah the materials are so crap!...i have only one decent scratch on the screen because i rubbed it too hard....now if its dirty i just leave it....its not worth the risk of scratching it.

Has anyone noticed the top plastic part doesnt sit properly on the rest of the body?....mine is at most about 0.5mm separated..the rest doesn't sit flush either....thats how dust got under the screen.
    I havn't got any scratches on the metal body yet, no.

9. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cracks, scratches, poor materials, dust under the screen, weak functionality - yet we all still love these little devices. Sony are doing a lot wrong ... but clearly, they're also doing something right!

10. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,767
    That's probably what annoys people as with a little more care and attention to detail they could have produced a perfect product.

11. Sasso

Sasso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah John's right. It wouldn't have just been a great player but an awesome player. Too bad their arn't firmware updates for build quality. If the HD6 is really good im gonna be peed off because i probably wont be able to afford it until this one breaks in half....then again....by christmas, whats the bet it does!

12. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not made of money by any stretch of the imagination, but I get quite excited by the prospect of updating a DAP every year or so to the latest model. Guess I'm just sad! As for build quality, I'd be highly surprised if most players were built to last for more than, say, three years at most. Otherwise, how would manufacturers sell their latest models?

13. Sasso

Sasso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thats true, if they did make the 'perfect' product then they would only need to make 1 and thats it....which would work....because if its still the best a year later why would you buy something else....then there's just small updates like maybe visual or support for faster transfer or addition of features....

Shadow did you get my email i sent it with a zip attachtment.

14. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sasso, if you sent it to my work email, then no. If you sent it to my home email, won't know till tonight - company's systems prevent remote webmail access! Damn them!!

15. Sasso

Sasso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is there any other way? But I suppose it doesn't matter since you dont have SS there anyway....just hope it worked to your home address...

I took a gamble and installed ss3.2 over the top on my original PC after a restart i will either be happy or very annoyed...lets see.....

16. johann1979

johann1979
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Your not sad - Tunes are my life and my DAP too - I find great pleasure in finding a new home for my tunes once or twice a year.

Considering they still cost in the region of £200 for a 20GB they really should be built to last a few years. Don't forget that every year a new generation of school kids become teenagers and stick mp3 players on the very top of their wishlists.

The market is forever growing and as long as new kids are being born and more older people become tech savvy and the manufactures create what the public wants and the prices become more affordable, there will always be a market for the latest model. :)

17. Sasso

Sasso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can't believe it!...It worked....!....my library is still there and it works..good im happy BUT!

DRM still doesn't allow you to transfer files from the HD5 to the Library of another computer.....hopefully firmware fixes that....but maybe not.