1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Have you got a tape measure??????

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by I want a plasma, Jan 22, 2004.

1. I want a plasma

I want a plasma
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi to all,
    for those of you that have your plasma panel and speakers on the wall,
    can you please let me know the measurement from the floor to the bottom edge of your panel.Plus,the measurement from the side of your panel to the speakers.
    Just trying to find out whats the best height and position for the panel and speakers.
    I will be putting up a 42" panel.What do you guys recommend.
    Many thanks,
    Andy.

2. Galaxy

Galaxy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Hi ,

In the instructions to my Plasma (Hitachi) is says please view the screen in a downward angle......all these plasmas mounted up high on walls looks real good in theory (and in the catalogue) but it is not good for the posture to be looking upwards to view (hence the warning) best advice would be the same as for computer monitors, the top of the screen approximately level with your eye line.
    If you think about it logically, for all the years we have been viewing CRT televisions they have been lower or at eyeline usually, not mounted in a TV cabinet 5 feet above the floor!!
    In the end it comes down to personal taste of course, but the oportunity to mount a flat panel over the fireplace (and looking so cool) seems to good to be ignored by most people. Mine will be on a stand that will bring the centre of the screen to eyeline level, I would have liked it a little lower as the previous CRT, but centre speaker positioning will dictate the replacements Plasma hieght.

Best regards David

3. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    My 42PD3000 is around 900mm from the floor (I find this gives comfortable viewing from the sofa which is around 9ft away) and the speakers are around 200mm from the sides of the screen.

HTH

John

4. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    A big hear-hear to Galaxy's point! Learned it the hard way a year ago but thankfully it wasn't above a fireplace so lowering wasn't a problem. Eye level height is always the optimum position...

(what ever happened to that guy who stuck it on the ceiling above his bed? Surely that would inspire some serious dizzy spells!)

5. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    A big hear-hear to Galaxy's point! Learned it the hard way a year ago but thankfully it wasn't above a fireplace so lowering wasn't a problem. Eye level height is always the optimum position...

(what ever happened to that guy who stuck it on the ceiling above his bed? Surely that would inspire some serious dizzy spells!)

6. Pollywoggle

Pollywoggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Don`t be put off having it on the wall if thats what you want, get a cardboard or newspaper template approx the size of the plasma, put it in the desired location and see how you get on. Loads of people have them on the wall without probs, (inc. me.)

7. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    The bottom edge of mine is about 58cm off the floor.
    That puts the centre of the screen exactly at eye level when sat on the sofa.
    I suspect the main reason why so many people have them up high is because the only (most convenient) place to put them is above the fireplace.
    I had to remove a radiator to put mine where I wanted but it was worth it.

Just imagine your plasma is a normal CRT TV.
    You wouldn't stick that on a 4 foot high stand would you, so why do it with a plasma?

It does actually come down to personal preference however so if it suits you to look up when watching TV then by all means do it.

As Pollywoggle says, use a paper template and pin it to the wall to get an idea.

8. Craig B

Craig B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The paper template is a good idea, make sure though that you look at it for a few hours. I tried it and it seemed fine for a few minutes, however due to getting sore necks in pubs watching football I decided to set it so my eyes are about level with the middle.

I haven't regretted it one bit, although when people see my plasma they are shocked at its position. I guess they are so used to seeing them high on walls in adverts they think I am a bit daft. They do look better high on the wall but they are only a tv so the viewing experience is the most important.

9. Kazuya Mishima

Kazuya Mishima

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    Mine is in the same position as johndon - 900mm from the floor. I experimented with the paper template, unfortunately this was in my flat before I moved into my new house (where I had to instruct the builders to mount the bracket).

Before I got it up (ahem) I was apprehensive about getting the height wrong. I am happy with it now, glad I didn't mount it too high (we don't have a fireplace), if anything I would probably lower it to 800mm.

How it looks to someone standing up when they enter the room is a different story to how it is to view from your seating position.

Also, you can't have it too low if you have to position centre speaker, kit, rack etc. below the plasma.....

I would advise trying the paper templates. Good luck!

10. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    Exactly the reaction I get whenever anyone sees it for the first time.
    Then they sit down and realise that it's actually a perfect viewing height.

11. SimonD

SimonD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It is entirely down to personal preference.

My Panny 42" is 1300mm from the floor to the bottom of the screen and I am really happy with it.
    It does take a few days to get used to it but now I find it much more comfortable than looking down to a TV.

I figured if I wanted it to be near the floor then why bother going to the expense of a plasma when I might as well buy a "normal" TV.

Oh and my Keff Eggs are mounted 3.8m apart and just above door height. I found that alot of the poitioning was determined by room layout (windows doors etc)

12. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    Not sure why you say it's better than "looking down".
    The recommended height should be eye level so you are neither looking up or down but straight ahead, avoiding any strain on the neck and back.
    This is the same recommendation as used for computer monitors.

What has being near the floor got to do with whether it's a plasma or a CRT? I'm a little confused by this statement.
    Are you suggesting that the main benefit of having a plasma is so you can have it far away from the floor?
    Not meaning to criticise, just trying to understand.

13. SimonD

SimonD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you look at yourself sitting in a sofa you will see that you are angled backwards normally, especially in a recliner sofa. Thus to look straight ahead the line of sight raises as it gets further away.
    I find to watch the TV my head was angled at less than 90° to my body and so I was "looking down"

What I was saying was the one of the main benefits of the plasma is its convenience of possible locations. I personally would not want to mount a large CRT or rear projection TV higher off the ground.

A major plus for me getting it away from the ground it to get it out of the way of little fingers.

14. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    Ah, OK, that clarifies it.
    If you are in a recliner then the natural angle of your eyeline will result in a position a lot higher on the wall than if seated upright.
    A very good point and one that should be taken into consideration when deciding on the height.
    I personally sit upright due to a back problem so my natural eyeline is parallel with the floor.

And I know what you mean about sticky fingers!
    We had family over at Xmas and their little girl kept trying to kiss the bloody Teletubbies...:rolleyes:

15. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    :nono: :D :D

16. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,028
    mines going to go above the fireplace, about 1m or so to the bottom of the screen.

Main reason being space saving. Current TV is in an alcove in the corner, and that space is being freed up for other uses. So the TV will go on the wall. One of the main selling points IMO, as its the same size as a normal CRT TV.

Also, I have a little boy, so anything other than a CRT wouldn't last two minutes anywhere near him.

17. Galaxy

Galaxy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Hey Brogan, just turn the brightness up for a while, the next time she tries to kiss the Tellytubbies she'll burn her lips!
    Not a hanging offence like a clip around the ears.........

Just kidding folks..........a rolled up telephone directory is better, it leaves no bruises!

No honestly........I am kidding, don't hit kids......when they get bigger they hit back!