Have you got a bug in your bin? And not the animal kind!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Rian1988, Aug 28, 2006.

1. Rian1988

Rian1988

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
  2. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,580
    I don't understand these areas with bugging of bins, weekly becomes fortnightly bin collections, strict sorting of litter (recycling) etc

Manchester council run a first class service, no nonsense.

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The reason why the councils have moved to fortnightly removal of general waste is to force people to recycle otherwise if there is plenty of room in the bin the householders have tended to just fill it up and not bother to segregate the recyclable stuff.

I don't think that all councils are the same with what they will recycle but we are only supposed to put clear plastic bottles into the "plastic recycling bin" which is only a small proportion of the plastics that we get through. We can't even put the supermarket carrier bags into the recycling bin.

I believe that the supermarkets and fast food industry in general have a huge role to play and if more of the packaging was eco friendly we wouldn't have this huge need for recycling.

Some of the older forum members will probably remember the time when milk only came in glass bottles that were returned to the dairy and re-used and beer & pop bottles carried a refundable deposit to encourage their return for re-use.

4. Astraeus

Astraeus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +203
    The idea itself angered me but didn't incense me. What did, however, make me mad as hell was the council spokesperson justifying the bugging of bins by saying, "It's the only option we have to promote recycling.". No, it's not. How about making it so I don't have to drive almost eight miles to get to my local recycling site? Or how about making recyclable waste bin collections more than once a month? Oh, and when I overfill my recyclable waste bin, take it all instead of saying "sorry, the lid wasn't closed so we can't take it". I'm frankly becoming disgusted with the way my council works and, despite literally hundreds of letters of protest to newspapers, MPs and the government, the people of Sheffield seem to have a whispering voice and nothing more.

It seems the bugging of bins is another example of Sheffield city council policy number one. "We have two options. We either invest a bit of money in a popular resolution to the problem or else we charge the citizens a bit more for a lacklustre resolution...Ah, that solves it. Ten votes to none in favour of the second idea."

5. Setenza

Setenza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
    Okay let's approach this wild and crazy panic story with a healthy sense of scepticism and logic.

You have a bug in your bin. It identifies your bin as it's emptied. Surely this data then needs to be corelated against your address and the number of occupants. How does the chip ascertain this info? Does one of the bin emptying technicians have a list of bugged bins? Often bins from several properties are wheeled away from their respective drives to be simultaneously emptied, so you cannot tell which originates from where.

As far as I can see all this chip can do is verify how often a bin is emptied? unless is has a myriad of functions based around non existant star trek type technology, it cannot tell what the contents are of your bin, whether it contain material that should be recycled, or specifically which property it comes from.

But according to the Daily Mail it has immigrants hacking the council computer network to determine when you're on holiday, so they can burgle you, whilst stealing your identity and making liquid bombs and spreading TB.

6. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +484
    I can't see how this info helps them anyway......"A crucial element is the ability to identify specific bins and record when they are emptied," said a spokesman for Deister, a German company that is marketing the technology."

surely they are emptied whenever the bloody bin men come round!......which they presumably already know!!

As mentioned above the main issue is this ridiculous policy of not taking stuff away because the lid isn't tightly closed.........funny how they always have time to route through your rubbish for anything they can flog but can't spare the time to empty a slight ovefull bin.

7. nsherin

nsherin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Points about councils not taking bins away if the lid isn't closed and being overly fussy about what people can recycle are very true. The local councils want everything their own way. Surely they should be working more with people - i.e. enlarging the list of recyclable materials and encouraging the fuller bins? I'd have thought the more items being recycled = fuller bin = better for their recycling levels?

8. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    I'm not even that old (29) and i remember taking back bottles of pop to get the refund...w00t!...heh

seriously tho, the onus should be put on the shops to reduce the amount of packaging used in food.....the obvious reason they dont is because it helps sell the product.....whether it be that it attracts the person visually, or because of how it protects the contents from spoiling......the fact is that the majority of household waste that will raise the cost of dumping crap isnt something we can recycle, most of the plastics cannot be recycled....pure and simple.......

you ever watched the council glass bottle lorry come round and empty the bottle bins in the wee hours?......you know the ones, the brown bottle bank, the green bottle bank, the clear bottle bank, dont mix the colours up!!.....the lorry that collects them dumps ALL 3 different types in to one big pile in its bed.......then dumps them all at the landfill.......they dont recycle those.....

how about the lorry that empties your green box, you know, the one you put papers, cardboard and bottles in.......when they get to the dump, they just empy the entire lorry, despite the blokes who pick up the box emptying all the contents in to individual sections....lol

some things can be recycled, other things cant.....despite what it says on the package......but even things that can most likely wont be...why? its cheaper to make it new!......

so unless the companies who make the stuff that doesnt degrage naturaly (within a year) are bought in to line, the tax payer will incur a cost that isnt necessary........unless of course you refuse to buy anything packaged.....get all your meat from the meat counter and keep the small plastic bag he puts it in, doesnt take up much room, wash it first of course.......likewise the bakery.......anything else just buy in paper packets.....preferably with little coloured ink on as possible......be amusing to see how the companies who make stuff respond......lol

9. sbowler

sbowler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    The government brought in catalytic converters to protect the atmosphere, surely they can change the law on food packageing the same way.

10. geeport

geeport

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    We were in Denmark on holiday last year and inside the supermarkets (even small ones) there was a port in the wall where you popped glass and plastic bottles, a scanner read them (perhaps they use something embossed on the items or maybe weight and reflectance - I didn't ask) and then gave you a number and you got money off your bill when you got to the checkout. Brilliant system :thumbsup: .

11. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Ours are collected weekly but I assume that your bins are full sized wheelie bins whereas ours are smaller.

12. Toasty

Toasty
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,331
    Our general waste bin is collected one week and our recyclables the next week. This was introduced with much fuss late last year, but I have to say it works. In fact I'd say the we have more recyclable stuff than general waste now that the recycle collection has been extended to include paper, cardboard, envelopes, magazines, glass / plastic bottles, tins, other plastics, etc.

I'm not convinced by the bin bugging deployment, but then I'm not entirely sure what they're trying to acheive by it. I suspect ultimatley it will be used to charge an additional fee somewhere down the line. They'll be adding scales to the bin lorries next and charging per kilo ;)

13. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    You may scoff at that last point but .......

14. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,192
    We now have 3 wheelie bins:-
    A green one - this is for general non-recyclable rubbish - collected every 2 weeks
    A blue one - this is for recycled stuff (but not glass) - collected every 2 weeks alternate to the green one
    A brown one - this is for garden waste - collected ever 2 weeks on the same week as the blue one but a different day
    I have to put all this lot into Outlook so I get reminders of which bin needs to be put out :eek: :D

I do agree with IanJ that the supermarkets really need to look at all the crap packaging they put on everything, is it really necessary to put individual sticky labels onto every apple I buy ?

15. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,861
    Hi,

I can't really say anything more than has already been said. Walsall council, are as useless as many, when it comes to rubbish collections.

In my case, I live in a small tower block (three floors, each with four flats, with each flat having at least 2 people, some with more). In our case, our bin (one of those giant council-branded dump bin jobbies), is supposed to be emptied every Monday. More often than not, we get it emptied every 2 or 3 weeks, if the local bin collectors can be arsed to remember it. :rolleyes:

Like others, I would love to recycle, but a) I don't own a car to get to the nearest recycling centre, and b) I'll be damned if I'm going to lug my recyclable materials via two bus journeys to do so! :mad:

Also, I'm not sure how or why Walsall Council have assumed that each household in my small tower block, is likely to only produce one grey bin liner full of rubbish per week, as - even if that were the case - the bin they've got for us, can't hold ten bin-liners worth, let alone 12 or more. So, almost every week, our bin is full of rubbish within a couple of days, because tenants weren't able to fit all their rubish into the bin, beforehand. Which results in everyone having to stockpile their rubbish, and filling the bin up every time it gets emptied, resulting in a complete bin overload every week!

Shops and councils have a lot to answer for! It seems in Britain of 2006, nothing is simple, and the people in charge seem to feel that every task has to be made as difficult as possible. Why is this?!

Oh, and I can remember milk in glass bottles (Pintas, as we called them then), and the recycling of bottled/canned drinks and getting 5 or 10p back each time. ... Them were the days! :rolleyes:

Pooch

16. Setenza

Setenza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
    What happens if you have Oscar the Grouch living in your bin?

17. andyr300

andyr300

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +104
    i aint got a bug in my bin...but i do have the space for one,there is a little round section in the moulding with a clip above it.maybe my bug will get delivered in the future

18. Joe90sDad

Joe90sDad
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Talking of wheelie bin, does anyone use those wheelie bin hygiene services? They come round and blast your bin with a bit of detergent and a pressure washer.

More than half the ponces on my street use it every month. I just find it pathetic. :D

19. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45,451
    I think you may have a point there Sean, it is to log how often a bin gets emptied. I find it hard to believe the dustcart will log a bin and a dustmen with a clipboard will record what goes into the dustcart. They could note whether it was full or half empty quite easily though. To turn it on it's head the system could also be used to check up on whether the dustmen were emptying all the bins they were supposed too.

Dave

20. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,580
    Surely the suits can't be that stupid? Any binman did that, the council would know when the residents phone up

P.S. Re above about wheelie bin cleaner thingies - have to use it...don't want the stupid puppy throwing up maggots :rolleyes: