Have you ever written and posted a hand written letter - with a pen on paper?...

Chadford

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
:)

This was to be a Poll - but I'm infracted so I guess I can't do that. :blush:

Last edited:
Not since I was about... 10 (so 1995 or so).

Obviously I still post hand-written cards - although even then, many members of the family are moving onto Moonpig e.t.c.

Yes, why?

More personal than a lousy e-mail.

Hand Written Letter?

What on earth is one of them? :D

I recently wrote a letter to my Mother on the computer, when printed it just felt wrong! So I wrote it with my old Parker and it just felt more personal.

I wouldn't bother for most people!

I used to write to my then Girlfriend at least twice a week when I started at university ('99-00). Proper paper and a fountain pen. This included the slightly irked final letter when she did the no pants dance with somebody else...

More recently I was in the habit of sending my wife a post card from every different city I visited for work. By the time I stopped doing this in 2008 she had a fair few. I absolutely love writing with fountain pens and still take work notes with one which is a source of endless amusement for my colleagues.

When I was away at university I used to write to several young ladies back home, always making sure I kept my foot in the door for when I was back at Xmas, Summer etc.

A hand written note on the back of a carefully selected photocopy of which ever book I was reading at the time always went down very well.

Incidentally, after telling this to my personal account manager at the bank (a rather lovely young lady who used to insist on quarterly meetings) I used to receive bank statements with hand written notes from her on them. :cool:

Yes, first and last time was to my pen pal in France in 1989 - never heard back. Not sure if postcards count.

I absolutely love writing with fountain pens and still take work notes with one which is a source of endless amusement for my colleagues.

Before I got my iPad, and went completely paperless, I always used a LAMY fountain pen and a Moleskin notebook for work. My boss used to give me a fresh set of notebooks and ink refills for Xmas.

Yes, first and last time was to my pen pal in France in 1989 - never heard back. Not sure if postcards count.

I'd say no to postcards, in my experience they're generally written grudgingly when you've got something better to be doing. :)

Last edited:
Have you been a bad boy chadford? :D

You should be able to start polls.

Either way, I used to send letters to a few friends as it's nice to send and receive hand written letters, even though my writing is awful.

Though, I tend to avoid using a pen for anything if I can.

I used to write loads, despite having woeful hand writing. I think my record is seventy hand-written pages in early 2000 to my then-girlfriend - we did the long-distance thing for a while as she's Scottish and I was in my final year at university in Ireland. She moved over to Ireland a couple of months later, largely I think because she got sick of trying to decipher my "old man with Alzheimers" writing.

I've used the computer for so long that on the few occasions that I do need to handwrite something I find it quite difficult. Block capitals for things like shopping lists is easy but my handwriting is now so bad that I would make a good doctor

Ian J said:
I've used the computer for so long that on the few occasions that I do need to handwrite something I find it quite difficult. Block capitals for things like shopping lists is easy but my handwriting is now so bad that I would make a good doctor

I'm the same. Especially as I study computing so very rarely do any handwriting. I can manage around 5 minutes before getting a cramped hand.

I just feel sorry for the person who has to mark the exam I did yesterday.

I still like the personal touch of a hand written letter but like some of you I also find it more difficult these days to write properly due to my use of a PC (I work with them). However I do try and write notes and things on notepads still simply because I don't like doing everything on a PC, the amount of people these days who are incapable of writing, spelling, reading is shocking and I feel this move to technology with spell checkers, keyboards etc is to blame.

I like the fact that if the PC disappeared tomorrow I wouldn't cry because I couldn't get on Facebook.

Yes

Recently as in this calendar year? Yes

Scotteh said:
I like the fact that if the PC disappeared tomorrow I wouldn't cry because I couldn't get on Facebook.

For those of us who would cry, we still have smartphones :)

Yes I still do. Did one a few weeks ago. :D I also have a large collection of pens, mainly free pens ;)

I used to write loads, despite having woeful hand writing. I think my record is seventy hand-written pages in early 2000 to my then-girlfriend - we did the long-distance thing for a while as she's Scottish and I was in my final year at university in Ireland. She moved over to Ireland a couple of months later, largely I think because she got sick of trying to decipher my "old man with Alzheimers" writing.

:eek: Think I did just over 7 for the exam i just sat!

In reply to the OP, not for a while no. Majority of what I do is on the computer. Last time I used a pen for a decent amount of time (apart from the exam today) was my A-levels last year.

I used to write to my then Girlfriend at least twice a week when I started at university ('99-00). Proper paper and a fountain pen.

For added romantic effect, consider using a quill :)
You're probably not a lefty though. Fountain pens end up creating a right mess for me.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom