Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Have You Ever Missed A Crucial Shot? If So What And Why?

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by Garrett, Mar 7, 2005.

1. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,659
    I was walking along the bank of the canal and spotted a swan having a right good clean out and was doing allsorts of unusual thing so a quickly switch my camera to movie move pressed the on button and the lens came out and then went back in again, I pressed it once again and the same thing happened. On the third attempt it came out and stopped out but buy then the swan has noticed me and it came over to see if I would feed it. I missed a great shoot of it practically all out of the water body stretched vertical and its wings full stretch. :mad:

An other time I missed a one in a lifetime shoot was when my dog was a pup and I had the camcorder with me, I was following him round the garden a few days after I brought him home. He was doing allsorts of funny things and at one point almost dug a tunnel scratching earth with his front paws backwards through his rear legs. It was only later I found what I though I was recording I wasn’t but switching the camera off and when I though the camera was off it was on. Got some great footage of the ground though :suicide:

2. Flimber

Flimber
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,476
    Was up by Rievaulx (sp?) Abbey in Yorskhire last year. Parked up 'cos child felt sick. Missus driving. About 100yds ahead a sandy-coloured dog came out of a hedge and continued to walk away from us. It was itself about 50yds away from a sheep and was roughly the same size (sheep also at about the same distance from us). Except this thing walked 'funny' for a dog and after about 10 seconds of staring at it I realised that it was something feline. And we 'aint talkin' household pet ;) Almost immediately, the missus started the engine to go...

Now I ask you: Would she stop to let me get out of the car to go into the boot and get the camera ?

Here endeth the lesson :rolleyes:

Mike.

3. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I missed david walliams from little britain, He walked right past me but i missed him i turned around fast as i could hit the shutter without having time to use the viewfinder and i missed him...

4. Flimber

Flimber
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,476
    Were you in a nearby hedgerow at the time ;)

5. tomson

tomson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +186
    Hardly crucial but I missed paula radcliffe running the marathon this year - was photographing the first few guys in wheelchairs as they came past (jesus those things can move!!), stopped to check what I'd just shot, looked up and she'd gone past me.

Also missed a great shot of Tom Baker chatting to 2 old dears on Brick Lane a few months back. Camera was in my bag back in the office :rolleyes:

6. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,705
    Was at Woburn Safari park yesterday....Ready to shoot this great looking penguin, my wife asked me where I left the dummy...No not mine, my little girls...Anyway, I looked back but wasn't ready yet...The penguin slipped, hit is head and tumbled in the water...Oh I wished I had my video camera ready...It was hilareous...Don't think the animal was hurt, just suprised....

7. Mr Cat

Mr Cat
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    I was driving through Wolsingham the othter week and I had to stop my car while a couple of ducks waddled across the road...

8. imichael

imichael
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Missed my wife landing a tandem sky dive last year - it was pretty dim light and the first coupe came down as I rattled off shots thinking one of them was Sue. Then realise she was 3rd in the 'queue'. Unfortunately I had filled the buffer by rattling off loads of shots and completely missed her touch down.

I'm waiting on another chance to throw her out of a plane now.

9. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1

I'd not have missed him i'd have been waiting for him :lesson:

We were in the Trafford Centre he'd been doing some book signing or dvd promo we found out later