Have you ever experienced love at first sight?

7ofnine

Prominent Member
Reaction score
The other thread about dating got me thinking. Is love at first sight possible? I think a lot of people mistake 'love' for 'lust'. I admit it's likely that you might really fancy someone on first seeing them. But true love, to me anyway, is more than physical attraction. You can't possibly know someone enough to love them, knowing nothing about their personality, character, interests etc.
Have you ever thought you were in love at first sight? Was it true love?

Nope, it doesn't exist IMO. Lust at first sight yes, but as you say, love is something much deeper that you can't get on a first meeting.

The other thread about dating got me thinking. Is love at first sight possible? I think a lot of people mistake 'love' for 'lust'. I admit it's likely that you might really fancy someone on first seeing them. But true love, to me anyway, is more than physical attraction. You can't possibly know someone enough to love them, knowing nothing about their personality, character, interests etc.
Have you ever thought you were in love at first sight? Was it true love?

Lust yes, not love.

There is a girl on the train I get in to work, same train every morning we get on together and HUBBA HUBBA!!!! Lust and infactuation yes, but not love.

I think love is something you grow into and its a long road you go down with someone and takes time to grow into it. IMO

I can vividly remember the first time I saw my girlfriend on our first day at uni, I noticed her smile, dark hair and holiday tan. I was disappointed when I found out she had a bloke but as we lived in the same halls we got talking more and more. Over a few months, we fell in love and that persuaded her to break up with her (then) boyfriend. We've been together over 5 years now and still going as strong as ever.

I'm not sure it was love at first sight. I was definitely attracted to her, but I was attracted to a lot of women as a fresher at uni! However, I pulled a couple of other girls before we got together and I can't remember meeting them half as vividly as I remember seeing her. Perhaps I knew she was special, or perhaps I'm just imagining it! Whatever it was, I think a first look is too early to fall in love, but she made a great first impression.:D

Yeah, I remember it now, she was black and sleek with nice curves, also wore a bit of silver which made her look classy. With been with each other for nearly 3 years now, and although she gets a bit hot sometimes she's alwats been there for me. We have fun most nights and she's into all kinds of games ! :eek:

God i love my PS3 ! :devil:

It must be that silly season, at the moment, 3 threads here about love, and what is worse I am reading them:) might have something to do with the fact that I am in a new relationship myself:thumbsup:

I think it is more a case of love at first smell, given it is largely a chemical attraction...

Last edited:
I saw her.
I married her 10 years later.
So yes.
The fact you married her 10 years later doesn't really make it love at first sight though does it otherwise we could all just say that. Unless of course you just love someone by their look.

The fact you married her 10 years later doesn't really make it love at first sight though does it otherwise we could all just say that. Unless of course you just love someone by their look.

i lived with my missus for 10 years before we got married, whats love got to do with marriage?

Yeah, I remember it now, she was black and sleek with nice curves, also wore a bit of silver which made her look classy. With been with each other for nearly 3 years now, and although she gets a bit hot sometimes she's alwats been there for me. We have fun most nights and she's into all kinds of games ! :eek:

God i love my PS3 ! :devil:

Nice One .. :smashin:

Plus she is always faithful, low maintenance, easy to turn on and off and can go for hours.

Thats it. I am ditching the girlfriend and getting a PS3 next month with Modern Warfare 2.

Yes, absolutely.

My wife. Saw her, was mesmerised by her eyes - one of those life changing moments for me.

I truly believe it was meant to be. That was back in the 90's. Still together now, still fancy the pants off her!

I consider myself very very lucky to have found her.

Nice One .. :smashin:

Plus she is always faithful, low maintenance, easy to turn on and off and can go for hours.

Thats it. I am ditching the girlfriend and getting a PS3 next month with Modern Warfare 2.

I wouldn't. They can be very temperamental, and only stick with you for about 2 years.

I haven't, although I did once get what I can only describe as a physical "jolt/shock" when I made eye contact with a girl a few years ago.
A very strange feeling.

i lived with my missus for 10 years before we got married, whats love got to do with marriage?
Nothing, which is kind of my point. He says they married 10 years and then implies that's proof it was love at first sight. I tend to disagree (although obviously I can't speak for how the guy feels) and think you can fancy and lust someone at first sight. To me, love is something that builds over time.

You mean besides absolutely everything?

you mean nothing

its a meaningless ceremony enforced by society with dogmatic teachings / values

I feel sorry for anyone whose relationship changes, or who treats there partners differently because they signed abit of paper to comply with society

you mean nothing

I feel sorry for anyone whose relationship changes, or who treats there partners differently because they signed abit of paper to comply with society

Call me old fashioned but I'd rather wait to live with a girlfriend untill marriage, to me marriage is meant to be some extremely different and a time when your relationship takes a completely different tack.

I mean, if you live with someone for 10 years then marry them, what in your relationship changes and what is there to look forward to? Surely its meant to be exciting to come back from your honeymoon and move intogether and find a place to live and start kitting your lives out together and not come back to the same thing?

I haven't, although I did once get what I can only describe as a physical "jolt/shock" when I made eye contact with a girl a few years ago.
A very strange feeling.

Nothing to do with the cattle prod she was holding then.

Call me old fashioned but I'd rather wait to live with a girlfriend untill marriage, to me marriage is meant to be some extremely different and a time when your relationship takes a completely different tack.

I mean, if you live with someone for 10 years then marry them, what in your relationship changes and what is there to look forward to? Surely its meant to be exciting to come back from your honeymoon and move intogether and find a place to live and start kitting your lives out together and not come back to the same thing?

your old fashioned

I wouldn't buy a car with out a test drive, wifes are the same imo

you mean nothing

Not completely meaningless. It's a public statement of your commitment to each other. We decided to get married a year after our daughter was born. It just seemed the right thing to make us a proper family unit. Our relationship didn't change just because we were married.

What if you find each other intolerable once you're living together? Wouldn't it be better to have tried it out first?

Likewise no sex before marriage - imagine committing yourself to someone only to find the sex was crap. :eek:

I'd counter that trying that might be a good way to keep your marriage nice and short. Of course I might be saying that becuase I have lived with mine for nearly ten years and won't marry until next year. I'm happy to get married as I know what to expect.

We decided to get married because it formalises a relationship and- fair or otherwise- it confers certain benefits if you have kids. I'm not out to prove anything nor I am hoping for some huge change. These days, buying a house together is a bigger commitment than marriage.

I think the lust at first sight is fair enough- one of the little joys of working in London again is some of the people you see in this regard. Love takes a bit longer- I'd certainly want to speak to a vision of beauty first and establish if she's actually about as fun to talk to as a houseplant.

i think so yes, i got to know my bf before actually seeing him or meeting him, when i saw him it was just like a jigsaw puzzle falling into place, i knew enough before meeting to know he was my soul mate and I knew when i saw him that i loved him.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom