Have you ever attended a council tax tribunal?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by essgee, Jul 16, 2015.

1. essgee

essgee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Bit of a long shot, but in a few weeks I'm attending a council tax tribunal, and just wondered if anyone had any experience of one? I'm currently preparing my written evidence.

There's about 60 properties in my cul-de-sac, and 5 are the same as mine (the smallest properties). The other 4 are all a band lower, and to be honest, I am incredibly confident they'll confirm my band is wrong.

Edit : Do you have any tips for the submission of the tribunal itself?

Last edited: Jul 16, 2015
  2. shahedz

shahedz
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,038
    yep , like you mine got lowered. Am currently waiting to hear about one of my rentals too, trying to get the council tax lowered there as two other properties I own on neighbouring streets are on much lower rates. (In NI the landlord is responsible for the council tax)

3. essgee

essgee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Cool. I guess I was after any tips on the written submissive, it what to expect in the day?

4. shahedz

shahedz
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,038
    Apologies I read your post wrong, I was never asked to attend. They local valuation office did phone me to confirm what I had written down. I literally just said big properties were paying less than me - like your situation. That was it, then they lowered it.

5. essgee

essgee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    No it was my fault, wasn't direct with my wording!

I wish mine was so straight forward. I have contested the band by a written form, but they rejected it. So now I appealed that, and it's going to tribunal.

My initial rejection was due to me being at the property longer than 6 months, and therefore, by failing to contest it within those first 6 months, it's tough apparently! But I rented it out, and now I want to move in. It is only now I realise how wrong the band is. I'm also in the property industry, so I know I'm correct. It's as clear cut as it can get.

6. RBZ5416

RBZ5416
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,408
    Be aware that as well as possibly reducing yours, the Council could raise everyone else's instead! The key seems to be presenting evidence of incorrect original valuation. So research what similar properties sold for in 1991. Should be easy enough in your line of work.

7. DJT75

DJT75
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,873
    Successfully had mine lowered a few years ago, but it was straight forward, no tribunal required. Not sure if I did that within 6 months of moving in though, is that something relatively new?

8. essgee

essgee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    I honestly don't know, but I'm going to argue that should make no difference. If the band is wrong, the band is wrong.
    Yeah I did read about this! Thing is, it's a one bed house. The smallest kind of house you can get (in my cul de sac). I know that others in my street pan out like this: 1 beds are always band A. 2 beds are band B, and 3 bed Band C.

I've used nationwides valuation tool to show me the valuation of the house back in 91, and it's miles within band A.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2015
  9. Member 55145

Member 55145
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,484
    Not sure if you have wrote that down wrong or just don't understand it.
    But I have lived in a few 2 and 3 bed properties that are band A

10. essgee

essgee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Sorry I meant to be clearer with what I said (was typing most of this on my phone last night and didn't re-read before posting) - i meant just for the cul-de-sac that I live in. You're right to say that a lot of victorian terrace houses, or ex council properties tend to be Band A, regardless of their internal size and may well have 2 or 3, or even 4 bedrooms.

11. IanW1977

IanW1977

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +484
    My next door (We live in a Semi) is a band lower. I have done this twice without success.

Apparently when the banding was done in 1995 (was it ?) next door had no central heating while we did and thus their house was valued lower. Probably cost us a few grand more than them in 20 years all because of this.

12. reiteration

reiteration
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,885
  13. Goooner

Goooner
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18,093
    I queried ours when it first came in, as the price we'd paid was right on the line between two bands and was basically told "tough, you're in the higher one"

Two years ago, the wife had someone knock on the door wanting to confirm some details as we were paying too much Council Tax. I of course assumed it was some sort of scam and had a go at her for giving them details.

Though no more about it, but then a couple of months later I had a call from the Council informing me I was due a rebate of £1700 and I'd receive confirmation by mail a few days later, which I did.

So, no CT to pay for the rest of that year (there was about 6 months left to pay) and £1700 paid back into my bank, result!

14. essgee

essgee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Just a little update. Ten days before my tribunal, I had a call from a lady at the voa. They said they'd looked over my case and realised they ballsed up. She asked me to withdraw my appeal, and she would reband it to the A I thought it should be.

So all in all, common sense prevailed!