Have you checked for dust..........

Johndm

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Well, after my recent hols, I noticed a few of the dreaded dust spots showing up on some of my pics.

Did the small aperture/white wall test, bugger....looked like someone had sneezed snot all over my sensor.. :eek:

Had a good blow with my Giottos Rocket, and now all is well.

Found another way to see them.
Load pic to PS or Elements, reduce brightness really low, and contrast really high.

regards

Attachments

• IMG_7676norm.jpg
    IMG_7676norm.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_7676snot.jpg
    IMG_7676snot.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 54
My method is:

old lens off and cover
blow into body with Rocket
new lens out and uncover - blow body end with Rocket
fit new lens

keeps me dust free pretty well

Radiohead said:
My method is:

old lens off and cover
blow into body with Rocket
new lens out and uncover - blow body end with Rocket
fit new lens

keeps me dust free pretty well

Well I'm more than careful too........BUT,
I'll bet ya Death Valley with a breeze will get ya.... :D
Thats where I seen to pick most of my bunnies up.. :rolleyes:

Funny you should mention dust......

I have a 2 month old D70 and the very first few pics I took had lots of specks on the blue sky area. At the time I could also see lots of specks behind the lens glass so assumed this was the cause. Jessops kindly replace the lens and I though that was the end of it. Well having checked out some pics of a hot air ballon that I took a few days ago these spots are back (more like they never went away) I can only assume this is dust on the sensor. What annoys my is I have only ever put the lens on..... its not been removed since! Is it common for brand new DSLR's to have this problem? I do feel having spent a lot of money on this, this dust just should not be there. Not from brand new anyway. Anyone else had simillar troubles with brand new cameras?

Is it really easy to remove dust yourself? As its such a new camera I am tempted to take the damn thing back to Jessops and let them sort it out.

Madcarpy said:
Funny you should mention dust......

I have a 2 month old D70 and the very first few pics I took had lots of specks on the blue sky area. At the time I could also see lots of specks behind the lens glass so assumed this was the cause. Jessops kindly replace the lens and I though that was the end of it. Well having checked out some pics of a hot air ballon that I took a few days ago these spots are back (more like they never went away) I can only assume this is dust on the sensor. What annoys my is I have only ever put the lens on..... its not been removed since! Is it common for brand new DSLR's to have this problem? I do feel having spent a lot of money on this, this dust just should not be there. Not from brand new anyway. Anyone else had simillar troubles with brand new cameras?

Is it really easy to remove dust yourself? As its such a new camera I am tempted to take the damn thing back to Jessops and let them sort it out.

It is a very common problem with DSLR's, even 'un-opened like yours. Jessops will send it back to Nikon, and it might be gone for a while. It might even come back worse!!

First lesson, the sensor is VERY delicate, DO NOT ATTEMPT to wipe, touch, polish or clean with anything until you have done some serious reading on the subject.

I have only used a Giotto Rocket blower so far, (do not blow with anything other than a proper photographic blower, or use any type of aerosol blower).

This should clear 'most' problems, but if seriously dirty, a sensor swap will be needed.
I think a Giotto should sort you out. After 1 year, I still have 2 small dirty spots left after blowing and doing the aperture dust test, but they are invisible on a blue sky even at f22

Thanks John...... it looks like a trip to Jessops to get a Giotto Rocket blower then. I have just read the manual regarding this sensor and it seems fairly straight forward.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom