• No, it's not worth the effort

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

14mark41

Established Member
Reaction score
hi all,

I thought I'd make a poll to see how many people hi bi-amped their amp and speakers and to what degree, if any the gains that were made?

I've got a anthem mrx500 and some new Monitor Audio gold 300 speakers, so I though I'd see if it was worth bi-a ping them or not.

Thanks

Mark

I've tried it a couple of times, once with a 7.1 amp reassigning channels and once with 2 matching Arcam Amps (Alpha something or other) and I'm honestly none the wiser.

It takes a relatively long time to rewire its difficult to tell, even when someone else randomly swapped between single and bi amping I honestly couldn't have told you which was which.

Having said all that, if you have spare amps left for the sake of a couple of extra lengths of cable its got to be worth a try, even just as an interesting experiment

Last edited:
I have done it with my Arcam 350 and it made a small difference I think but nothing ground breaking. I got the extra cable for free so for me it was worth the small hassle but it certainly was not a game changer.

To do it effectively you require a second Amplifier (only needs to be a Power Amp) rather than using spare Channels on an AVR.

You could add a suitable 2-Channel Amp for under £150.

Joe

Thanks for the replies all!

Looking at he comments I think I'll give it a miss. If there were fairly large gains I'd give it a go, but I can't really spend anymore at the moment as the savings have been cleared!

I may try sometime in the future if I'm looking for a small upgrade ☺️

I've tried it and couldn't tell the difference.

I've tried it and couldn't tell the difference.

Snap

It can if you are unlucky cost you detail, I had a channel of the amp failed that i was bi amping with, which took me ages to pick up on

Hi i done it with 2 Atlantic Technology A-2000 7 channel power amplifiers with seven Whatmough Speakers worked excellent very loud noticed the difference straight away.

Regards Lino.

To do it effectively you require a second Amplifier (only needs to be a Power Amp) rather than using spare Channels on an AVR.

You could add a suitable 2-Channel Amp for under £150.

Joe
Hi Joe,

I read your comments with interest because I currently have a pair of Kef R300 bi-amped from an Anthem MRX510. I'm wondering if the fact that the speakers have separate bass and midrange drivers would lead to any benefits from bi-amping.

I'm also wondering if there's any possibility that using all 7 channels for bi-amping the fronts could have a detrimental effect on sound quality in terms of stressing the avr more than if I was to only use 5 channels without bi-amping.

I suspect the answer to both questions is the same in that neither makes any difference but would appreciate your thoughts as I don't know one way or the other.

Thanks,
Paul

I can't imagine there would be a detrimental effect using your 'spare' channels on the AVR but neither would I expect much (if any) of a positive effect.

Ideally you would try adding a separate Power amp.

You can pick up a stereo power amp for relatively little money.

Joe

I can't imagine there would be a detrimental effect using your 'spare' channels on the AVR but neither would I expect much (if any) of a positive effect.

Ideally you would try adding a separate Power amp.

You can pick up a stereo power amp for relatively little money.

Joe
Thanks.

What benefit would adding a stereo amp bring? Would the 510 recognise the power amp when using Anthem Room Correction?

Last edited:
Hi Paul having seperate power amp would already be a benefit to your system and the anthem is doing the room correction to get the best sound for your speakers and to suit your room when i had mine i did a comperision with the 7 whatmough speakers plugged direct to the onkyo amp sound was okay but when bi amped the clarity was awesome been bi amping for 20 years i personally always use seperate power amps to get the best out of my system.

Regards Lino.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom