1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Have you been mugged off?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by fredhead, Jun 13, 2004.

1. fredhead

fredhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yesterday I spent all day looking for a tv and visited several shops looking for IDTV's and also for best prices.
    I settled for a Sony KD-32DX200. I visited PRC at Ilford, London and the Boxed TV arrived at the counter.

Now was the time to sort out some interconnects and I wanted some quality cables without breaking the bank, £100 was within my budget. I was then shown to a wall full of PROIGOLD cables.
    I asked the assistant about the make as I hadnt heard of them before and was told that they were a well know high quality make and the cables I would need were best buys awards from What Video & TV, what he didnt tell me at the time was that this was back in the year 2000 and 2001, I am sure we have come a bit further in quality since then.

I needed 2 scart leads (RGB) and was offered Profigold (PGV781) scart to scart video interconnect leads 0.75m priced at £39.99 each. I asked if he could do a deal as I want 2 he agreed he could knock £5 off each lead.

Next I wanted an optical interconnect so he offered me a Profigold (PGD561).
    Again this was priced at £39.99. Again I asked if he could do better. and he said he could do it for £25. Great I thought.

Finally I needed a pair of RCA's. This time he offered me 2 RCA to 2RCA Profigold (PGA4201) leads. Yet again priced at £39.99. This time he really made my day and after playing with his calculator he charged me only £15.

All told I spent over a £1000 on my TV and leads. A lot of money to me. I couldnt wait to get it home.

I thought I would flick on the net for information about the leads and check on the What Video & TV site to find the scart leads. Now I find out it was in May 2000. Alarm bells start to ring so I check the forum and find various web sites to check my purchases. I finally found a site dealing in Profigold and start to feel very shocked :eek: anoyed :mad: and then angry :censored:

The prices of the cables were on sale at www.tvcables.co.uk:
    Scart leads £14.99
    Optical lead £13.99
    RCA leads £8.49

I paid £110 for the leads and seen them on sale for £52.46 even allowing for a higher profit margin these people have mugged me off big time.

In all he was supposed to be discounting the cables by about £50 instead he has mugged me off for about £65 over what they are actually worth.

I will be visiting the shop asking for a full refund of the cables and I will get it even if I have to stand outside the shop telling prospective customers how they mug people off, I have done this sort of thing before and only takes a few customers to turn away and its sorted.

Has anyone else on here been done like this before and if so did you do anything about it?

Great mag by the way and I only wish I had found the forum sooner to give me some idea of what were better cables.
    Any suggestions?

Thanks

fredhead

2. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    everyone learns by there mistakes mate and im pretty sure everyone has been had off at some stage so your not on your own.rule of thumb is never buy cables before you check the web.

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    Hi Fred and welcome to the forum :hiya: - better late than never!

Don't worry, I think you will find that most of us have been there, done that & bought the T'shirt :D .
    Over the years that I have been buying AV & HiFi I must have waisted hundreds of pounds, even though I have always done my homework before setting out with credit card ready to melt. You can always find a better deal after the money is spent.
    I only found this forum just before my previous upgrade cycle and it must have saved me thousands with the information I picked up and the recommended retailers (and those to avoid!) that offer good deals.

Mark.

4. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    Wouldn't say you were had, just paid the OTT High St shop, which electronics' consumables are renowned for. These shops make there money on such small items (as well as ext warranties) as there is little mark up with larger items like TVs etc.

Sorry, don't think you have much a case for a refund unless they price match with the net.

Don't mean to sound patronising but a little research before hand will go a long way. But I think we've all been there before and I fully understand your eagerness to get everything up and running when you get home.

5. fredhead

fredhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I understand the genal fact of life about losing some money because of no home work but what has been done to me is a down right rip off. People shouldnt just accept it as a part of life or it just happens to the next and the next and never changes.

If I hadnt decided to check up then this would still have gone on, it probably will anyway because they are making money and they wont want to stop doing that.

Because they are selling TV's its unlikely you will ever see them again. Its not like you will be back in their shop week after week or month after month its likely if ever to be 5 to 10 years down the road. Thats why companies that treat customers as mugs dont care.

I for one do care about getting my money back and spending with a company that does care.

There is a difference with making a profit by normal methods and ripping people off. If I had got the discount that they applied to my cables then by rights I would have got them for nothing. In essence if you add the extra profit and the money I got discounted then that adds up to a nice sum of £117.

HELP :lease:

Now that aside anyone got any recommendations for some decent cables.
    I have a TV-Sony KD32DX200, DVD-Toshiba SD-420EB, Receiver-Yamah RX-V630RDS, Sony Video, Speakers-Mission FS2 and sky sat.

I need 2 scart to scart (RGB or fully wired ?)
    Optical or Coax ? DVD to Receiver. The TV has an optical socket so is it worth connecting this to the receiver also?
    I will want to get new speaker cables and will be looking to run them around the corners of the room under the flooring trim. Longest single length likely to be 10m for each of the rears. I know that the access holes on the speakers are small but I am happy modifying them to make them bigger, so size isnt that important :laugh:

Any info would be helpful
    Thanks for listening
    fredhead

6. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Anything you buy is worth what you are prepared to pay for it. I don't think you can accuse them of ripping you off. Cables are subjective anyway and rarely worth what they are priced at.

By all means demand a refund. You should get it. But, retail shops have a lot higher overheads to cover than an internet only firm. Somebody has to pay that and it's usually the customer. What you do get is some nice man or lady to tell you whats good or bad (in theory) instead of a price list and a shopping basket. You may also be able to try the cables before you buy as wel as inspect them for build quality. All these perks cost.

If you know what you want, then get it off the net. If not, then a good salesperson (few and far between) can be worth the extra.

At the end of the day you were only unhappy when you found them cheaper elsewhere. If you had never seen the TVCables price then you would have been delighted with your 'discounts'.

For the record, I have dealt with TV Cables and found them very efficient.

7. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    Agree you don't have much justification for a refund just because you saw them somewhere cheaper after you had purchased them. I seriously doubt the salesman was deliberately ripping you off.

For what its worth I've dealt with PRC a number of times and they've always been good value: probably best dealer in the area.

8. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,457
    That’s the high street prices if you want a service and the convenience of picking it of the shelf without having to wait, that’s the price you pay, they generally have far greater overhead than someone selling online.

9. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,194
    Kevo is right.To make up for the poor mark up on large items, cables etc. are a good way for a shop to make a quick profit. The mark-up on cables, CD's, cleaning gear, and the like is pretty scary. As long as there is no manufacturers recommended price on the item (even then the retailer is not obligated to follow it), or a sale sticker clearly marked, the retailer can charge whatever they like. Sorry, you've no comeback.

10. fredhead

fredhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thought I would give Profigold a ring and ask them what the retail rice is for the cables:
    Scart £24.99
    Optical 24.99
    RCA 14.99
    These figures include their profit also !
    Spoke to PRC and told he would speak with his manager.

fredhead

11. Filbert

Filbert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +196
    Up until you quoted the RRP of these cables, I agreed with with most people have said, i.e. Just because a company sells you cables (or anything else for that matter) at a higher price than another company doesn't mean they're ripping you off!

A company is well within their rights to set prices for anything it sells at whatever it wants to, it's up to the customer whether they choose to buy or not!

However, the fact that they are selling these cables above RRP does suggest that they are trying to "maximise their profits" ;) from certian customers, (mainly those who have not done any research). Offering false discounts on top of already inflated prices is a very old tried and tested sales method! But again I do have to re-itterate my point, the first "R" in RRP stands for "Recommended", i.e. the retailer is free to sell the product at any price they see fit! The manufacturer or supplier is only recommending the selling price.

Also, aren't most hi-fi and AV products/accessories cheaper on the Net? ;)

By all means get a refund, but the company has done nothing wrong, or underhand! :lesson:

12. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Have a look at their website at http://www.prcdirect.co.uk

They are selling the Profigold PGV781 scart cables at £24.95 each and not the £39.99 quoted by you. The Profigold PGA 4201 phono cables are priced at £18.99 per pair and not the £15 that you were charged whilst the Profigold PGD561 optical cable should have been £26.99 and not the £25 that you were charged.

The lesson that I hope that people will take away with them is to do some research before they go shopping and not after the event.

13. fredhead

fredhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think everyone has had their bitching session but no one has answered the questions in my post from the 13/06 so much for the research advice.

I got my money back and they even agreed that I was right to feel mugged off. So when you lot wana buy something come and see me and I will charge you the earth, at least you will be happy parting with your money.
    So enough of the righteous holier than thow, is anyone going to answer my call for help. Hmmm maybe not now :oops:

Fredhead

14. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Have a look here for details of the Thor scart cable being sold at a good price by TV Cables. They also sell the Profigold interconnects but at keener prices than you paid originally.

I wouldn't bother with a digital connection from TV to receiver as it is only necessary from the DVD to the Yamaha.

Have a look at Ixos 607 speaker cable which may suit your purposes. It is flat with a self adhesive backing and is what I use for my rears.

15. fredhead

fredhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for getting back with some info Ian.

Couple of questions.
    Is it really worth me using RGB only scart to scart and use the co-axail or optical to connect the DVD to receiver or get a fully wired scart.
    If I use a fully wired scart I assume that I would still want to connect the co-axail or optical.

fredhead

16. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I doubt whether you would see any benefit from using a more expensive RGB only scart as opposed to a good fully wired scart on a 32" screen.

The scart will carry the picture information to the TV and although the audio pins may also be connected in the scart cable this will only give you Dolby Pro Logic at best. For 5.1 digital sound you will need to connect the dvd player to your amplifier via optical or digital co-axial cable.

17. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    IMHO you get a better picture with a RGB only scart front the dvd to the TV. Remeber to set the dvd to rgb out. Then connect the dvd to Yamaha with a co-axial cable. Mark Grant makes a fantastic one in the special buys section of this forum :smashin: Have a look on the classifieds section for scart cable as you can pick up some bargains:D

18. fredhead

fredhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info and I have now purchased a couple of Ixos flat scarts.
    I was going to order a coax as suggested from the forum however the Mrs has now got it in her head to change the room around because the TV is so big. This being the case I may well need to move the receiver away from the TV and so will probably require a cable length of between 3m - 4m.
    Does the length matter in regards to the signal loss for coax or optical ?

Thanks
    Still learning
    fredhead

19. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    For that sort of size you would be better of with an optical cable.

20. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    If you were running the cable over say 10m then optical would be better, but for 3 to 4m there should be no problem with coax.

Mark.

21. fredhead

fredhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hmmmmm I think I need a tie break here and I have seen enough penalties this week.
    One all so far anything to swing it either way ?

Thanks
    fredhead :confused:

22. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    :oops:

I wanna change my plea and agree with Marke19. I was just trying to remember what I have read and he sounds correct now I think about it.