Question Have you been affected by 'tintgate'?

Have you got a green or pink tint that affects you 930?

• Yes. It affected my everyday viewing and I've returned for a refund. Never again.

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • Yes. It affected my everyday viewing and I've returned for a refund. I will buy again at some point.

Votes: 7 28.0%
  • Yes. It affected my everyday viewing and I've returned for an exchange

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Yes. But I only see it very rarely on everyday viewing so I'm quite happy with it.

Votes: 11 44.0%
  • Yes. I only see it very rarely on everyday viewing but I'm undecided as to what to do

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • No, it's got not tints at all I'm extremely happy!!

Votes: 2 8.0%

• Total voters

Old Man Peabody

Established Member
Reaction score
Right, it's about time we had this poll.

I'm not trying to cause any aggro for anyone by putting this up, but I'm genuinely interested in how many people this has affected. If you don't want to be honest and take part, that's fine, but don't come on the thread moaning that I've asked the question. I'm not trying to stir. I have a genuine interest in the results. I'm a huge fan of OLED, so I'm not at all against the tech. I can't wait to get my hands on a good one.

I've allowed 3 votes for people that have had exchange tvs. You get a vote for each tv you've tried.

If you want to take part, over to you.

I voted 2, one for my first, and the other for my second. However, I'm not just "quite" happy with my second and final set. I really love it! Sure it has very very slight tints, but if you check out my latest photos of Coraline, you'll wonder where the heck these tints are supposed to be:
LG 55EC930V OLED TV | Page 93 | AVForums
They're so minimal they're hardly worth mentioning as I very rarely see them on anything, even black and white movies.

I voted 2, one for my first, and the other for my second. However, I'm not just "quite" happy with my second and final set. I really love it! Sure it has very very slight tints, but if you check out my latest photos of Coraline, you'll wonder where the heck these tints are supposed to be:
LG 55EC930V OLED TV | Page 93 | AVForums
They're so minimal they're hardly worth mentioning as I very rarely see them on anything, even black and white movies.

Hi wasted. Yeah, that maybe should have been an option as well, but the list would probably be endless. I was initially undecided but I have now retuned mine and I'll be waiting until things have run their course for a bit.

Those pics of yours do look very sweet indeed. I'm massively annoyed mines going back but I really don't want to play the exchange game all over xmas. So many other things to do, but hopefully after the new year, I'll be back in the saddle with a set as good as yours. Fingers crossed!!!

My first set has been good from the start, I have to go right up to the screen to see a slight tinge and even then they are hard to see. So for me its the best tv out there for the price, it's that good I was thinking of selling my projector.

Hi wasted. Yeah, that maybe should have been an option as well, but the list would probably be endless.

True, but I would have just reworded your options.

"Yes I see it rarely on everyday viewings but I'm happy with it" (take out the "quite" as I'm sure if owners are only "quite happy" they'd be choosing the "undecided" option).

"No it's got no noticeable tints at all and I'm extremely happy" (adding the "noticeable" as I'm sure they all have tints, however minor or major).

I can only see my tints when I go looking for them. During normal viewing I can't see them. I even watched Angela (Luc Besson) last night as I understand B&W movies show it up the most. Even looking for it was hard to spot and it certainly wasn't noticeable for 98% of the movie. My Mrs is completely unaware of Tintgate (and I don't intend on telling her either!). She has watched plenty of TV with me and she has not picked it up herself. For me this is proof that the average viewer won't notice this. But this may be because I have a good one...

Hello, first post!
I bought this amazing television last week and have had nothing but great times with it since. However, it is true that the tint issue exists unfortunately.
I'm hoping the latest firmware update (04.40.29) helps resolve the issue. I just wish there was no delay in making it available in the EU, as it's already out for US customers!

It's probably not come across well in the sentence, but when I say quite happy, it's not meant in the literal sense. It's meant more tongue in cheek: 'How's the new Ferrari?' 'I'm quite happy with it thanks' It's a good/positive thing but I take your point.

The latter one I wanted to give people the option of no problems. I know they all have a tint to some degree, but so much about this is subjective, I'm happy to class no noticeable tint as the same as no tint at all.

Unfortunately, I can't edit the poll :(

Hello, first post!
I bought this amazing television last week and have had nothing but great times with it since. However, it is true that the tint issue exists unfortunately.
I'm hoping the latest firmware update (04.40.29) helps resolve the issue. I just wish there was no delay in making it available in the EU, as it's already out for US customers!

Yea they had that update on the 9th Dec too. It's been a week already and no sign for the UK :(
It's sounding promising that it at least speeds up the menus. Although someone else has reported it only mildly improves the tints after the first owner reporting it almost completely solves it.

I voted for option 2 but i won't buy this model again, if I buy another OLED it'll be the 65" 4k model

Yea they had that update on the 9th Dec too. It's been a week already and no sign for the UK :(
It's sounding promising that it at least speeds up the menus. Although someone else has reported it only mildly improves the tints after the first owner reporting it almost completely solves it.

That's pretty shabby, I've emailed LG support to ask for a timeline on the firmware release. I'll post if I hear anything. My tint problem is extremely minor but anything that pushes it even further away is good however subtle. Faster menus would be very welcome!

Am going to wait until the next update is here, if no good then it's going back and will stay with my Sony HX955 FALD TV.

I'm very happy with mine, I only noticed the minimal tints at all because of this forum lol...

So I know where they are, but they rarely show up with my viewing, funny thing is there's so much content out their have tints on purpose I never know if it's ment to be there or not lol... So ignorance is bless I guess...

I will had, add std def tv looks poor on this set and if I am goin to notice tints it's on lower rez footage ?

Mine has tint .. but the sheer quality of the PQ with content .. means I simply am more immersed in the picture I am viewing the tint becomes a non issue.

I will add std def tv looks poor on this set and if I am goin to notice tints it's on lower rez footage ?

I'm pretty certain SD or HD, you will notice or not notice the tint issue exactly the same mucka.

Anyone know if the firmware is hardware dependent or where the IP is picked up from ? Could I route my TV through a US VPN to pick up the firmware or would it check something more fundamental other than IP location

Anyone know if the firmware is hardware dependent or where the IP is picked up from ? Could I route my TV through a US VPN to pick up the firmware or would it check something more fundamental other than IP location

It would probably detect via the tv model or some secret code somewhere hiding in it. I remember downloading the US fw for my old Sammy once and it wouldn't let me install. I'd imagine LG would be the same. Especially as the US model is 9300 whereas the EU is 930V

I just had a live chat online with an LG rep, they said they had no information on when the update would be rolled out here but expected it to be close to the new year. So I guess that's something.

I just had a live chat online with an LG rep, they said they had no information on when the update would be rolled out here but expected it to be close to the new year. So I guess that's something.

When they expect it means absolutely nothing. That's just their way of giving you hope.

He also told me he was going to escalate the issue to a higher level agent who can inquire at head office. I've a reference number and been told expect a call soon about it. We'll see I guess!

That Magical tint update been just bull from one avs guy :) others cant se any diffrence ...

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom