Have we been sold the wrong kit?

Sawday29

Novice Member
Reaction score
We (a small village hall) instructed a national supplier to supply a ceiling mounted projector, screen and speakers in order to display output from a computer. They supplied and fitted a screen, projector, spekers and a Yamaha AS201 Amplifier. A loose HDMI lead, connected to the projector only, has been left to which we cannot connect to computers without HDMI connections. The amp does not have an HDMI socket and although we could connect to the speakers with additional cables, we can see no way to connect the amp to our computers, or computer to speakers. We think we have been sold completely inappropriate equipment and would be interested to hear the views of those on here.

Something doesn't sound right and I would ask the supplier of the electronics to draw you a diagram of how to connect the electronics together as you are unable to fathom out how to connect the items together with a laptop

As a rule. I suspect they are expecting you to use the headphone output from the laptop to the Yamaha and connect the projector to the laptop via the HDMI

Out of interest. what laptop model do you own so I can see what connection is has together with resolution as its quite important to be able to get a 1 to 1 pixel count if you are using if for text as you may find the text becomes smugged. Also where are you projecting the image. Is this on to a portable screen or onto a white wall?

Maybe include some photos and I maybe able to assist you

So things needed if its all wrong.

Laptop model
Projector model
Speakers model
Cables
Room size
Distance from projector to wall/screen
maybe a photo to show how bright the room is to when the sun is shining as this will be when the projector will be working at its hardest

Hi - thanks for your reply. Laptops will vary as we have multiple users. Our main user has an old Acer N214 and two users have macbooks (model not known) and I have a macbook air 2019. We have tried a neighbour's new (2022) Windows laptop, unknown model, which did have an HDMI socket and this worked with the projector, giving a good image. Projector is a BENQ MH733, speakers are Apart MASK 6C. Projector is ceiling mounted and screen is a electric remote operated, Sapphire SEWS300BWSF. Can't provide dimensions but image fills full height of screen.

So for the older laptops, you are going to need a VGA cable which will then plug into the projector. So you will have two cables running from the projector.

I feel the speakers will be inadequate for a room size and you should be looking

My suggestion would be to look at some PA speakers and maybe a bluetooth solution like the SubZero SZS-P8A which would allow you to connect the laptops via bluetooth (it will require them to connect and be within a certain distance in order for it to work). They also have a pair of RCA connections which for laptops would need a 3.5mm to RCA which would use the headphone output

Using something similar to the above should ensure you have enough power to fill the room at a respectable level without causing long term damage as those speakers are not going to last long if pushed which could also shorten the life of the Yamaha to

If you wish to stay with the electronics, you could attach headphone pre-amp like Pro-Ject's Headphone S2 box, but this will just a sticking plaster and long term, you will find you will have issues with those speakers if the hall is large as you will be running the Yamaha at a very high level just to create an audible level

So, I think you are correct that you haven't been fully understood when explaining your situation as they shouldn't have sold you the small speakers. But lets see if they know how to connect these laptops to both devices without causing long term damage!

I know I used to assist a few cinema clubs and they never really had any issues with my recommendations, but they did use a DVD player which would have worked perfectly with the Yamaha although I would never have recommended the speakers as they are far to small and you are just waiting for them to break

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom