1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

have u ever connected a plasma to a pc?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by freddyboy3333, Apr 5, 2005.

1. freddyboy3333

freddyboy3333

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello guys/gals

I'm trying to connect my pc with Geforce 6800 GT to my plasma Pioneer 505xde or so called 5050 in USA. I connect it with a hdmi cable along with a hdmi-dvi converter into my pc. No picture whatsoever.. Any one experienced this problem on their pioneer 5050/4350/505/435? If you have solved it please tell me how you did it.
    and if there is someone who does not have the plasma I would like any kind of advice from you too.

Thank you!

Freddy

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    They are a nightmare, try 1280/720@60Hz, you should see something then. Also try the VGA port on the front of the media box. You can send it XGA or W-XGS there, the digital port does not accept computer resolutions. There is a recent thread on the subject, with timings for Powerstrip, not sure about them though, it didn't seem quite right to me.

3. Ath3na

Ath3na

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Turn the plasma to av3 (at the very top of the remote). While on this channel bring up the menu then goto option, go down to hdmi and enable it :)
    You should now have the port on the media receiver set to receive hdmi signals. Then right click on the desktop - goto properties - settings. Tick the box to extend the desktop onto the plasma and apply.
    You should now have a picture of the desktop with no icons.
    Hope this gets you started.

4. AIO

AIO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My video card (ATI Radeon 8500) has a DVI-out, and my plasma (Samsung PS42S4) has a DVI-in. They are connected with a DVI-D cable. It works great. No problem whatsoever. My HTPC's display resolution matches that of the plasma (848x480) and the picture is stunning. That's how I watch my DivX and XviDs.

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    AIO, that's as may be, it's not so simple on digital with an XDE. The HDMI accepts only 'video' sources by design, PC's were not on the design agenda. This is just not DVI. It has been successfully done, I've done it twice, but different settings both times, different graphics cards. My advice is to go VGA.

6. freddyboy3333

freddyboy3333

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you for your reply's. Many thanks to Ath3na who solved the problem :)
    I got a picture now. Now the only problem is, how do I get the screen to fit the palsma. The computer screen is about 3 inces outisde the plasma on all sides. I have tried all kinds of resolutions. Are there any softwares that makes me able to adjust the screen manually maybe?

Thank you once again Ath3na!

Freddy

7. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    LOL! thought you'd have already enabled the port! What res are you running now?

8. Ath3na

Ath3na

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I work in a tech support center, its always best to work a problem from the ground up and not assume anything :). I am currently having the same problem as you m8. I am new to plasmas. I have not had my XDE a week yet. Make sure you run the dvi channel on full mode and not wide. I found this helped. There is a usefull tool called powerstrip which lets you create your own timings (resolution). It also lets you force a refresh rate. All I need now is to find the right timings for a 43 " screen and it should be fine with little or no overscan/underscan. There are some other highly recomended drivers avaliable for ati cards. http://www.omegadrivers.net/
    Hope this helps. Oh btw do you have access to any hi def material? If you do could you check out the plasma playing 1080i as when I try and do this the screen seems to flicker/shake slilghtly and doesnt look right. I had the same issue with 720p but on turning off the pure plasma option it resolved it. Any others out that had problems with 1080i sources flickering.

9. freddyboy3333

freddyboy3333

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you for your posts. Yes Ath3na, thats exactly the same problem I have. I got about 10 movies in hdtv 1080i and a few 720p. I was running them through my computer with the dvi connection into the hdmi input. damn! the picture is flickering and there are little black dots coming over the screen sometimes. Like an old b/w low quality movie!
    I have even tried the windows media player samples at both res. but still got the same problem. I hate it!