Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

have tv's quality gone downhill?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by beowulf, Jun 23, 2002.

1. beowulf

beowulf
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    build , i'm sure has.

my philips is built out of cardboard - sure seems like it.

my old profeel was built like a sherman tank.

i guess like everything else - tvs are now very disposable ...?

2. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Build-wise, it depends. My Sony cabinet is solid and the TV feels fairly "tough" even though it's plastic. The JVC TV I had before that had a stand that was built from plastic and a little metal. Was awful. The TV itself felt fairly flimsy - particularly the scarts etc at the back and the plastic subwoofer on the top. Before that I had a Philips and found both the stand and the TV to be fairly decent although the scarts did wobble rather more than I would have liked.

3. Zacabeb

Zacabeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Yes and yes.

Build quality is lesser than it used to be. I'm not sure they're made from cardboard though, but I know toasters are. :D

My old Philips TV lasted 10 years, and it was better than my 32PW9616 both in build quality, component quality and performance.

TV's nowadays use way more tricks than actual improvements. It was funny when they started adding useless features, but once they couldn't be turned off and started impairing performance they just got annoying.

Almost all of the features they add are made for goofballs who keep all settings maxed out, and just buy the fancier stuff to make a cheap impression on their buddies. If they just learned to set up contrast and color saturation properly, they wouldn't need Superhypercolormegaplus 2X-µP³|Ultra™ to make an impression on others.

It's not just TV's that have useless features like that.

I was going to record a program on my mother's VCR. How to? Put the tape in and press record? Nope. Putting a blank tape in makes the VCR go nuts as it wants to record little ID codes all over the tape. That takes several minutes. How interrupt? Pressing Stop seems like a logical solution.

Wrong, the VCR just spat the tape out. Put it back in, waited for the procedure to end and tried pressing Rec. Nothing happened. Turned the TV on, and found the VCR trapped in a menu saying like "Now that I have recorded these useless ID codes all over your tape, do you want me to remember it? Press OK. Pleeease."

How cancel? Now I have a similar brand VCR and I knew how to get out of random menu screens. On this brand, in order to get out them you press Standby. Seems like an odd way of cancelling a menu, but that's the way it works.

I finally got the VCR to start recording, 20 minutes late. I hate that VCR and have vowed to personally kiss it with a sledgehammer any random day.