Have Tosh finally got over their dark bars/dirty screens issue yet?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Matthew Attoe, Aug 22, 2004.

1. Matthew Attoe

Matthew Attoe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hi,

I've currently got a Tosh 36" Strata TV which suffers from the dark bars/dirty screen issue, which still drives me mad(ish).

Saw the Tosh 36zp48 playing Ice Age, which has lots of nuce bright white backgrounds and couldn't see any evidence of these faults, so it got wondering if Tosh had finally gotten their act together and sorted the problem out.

I then had a search on these forums, and I read that this problem seems to stem from fixing tape used in the manufacturing process. Is this really true? Is there any documented proof of this? If so, I'll get on to Tosh and see if they can send an engineer to clean the tube.

I sincerely hope someone can offer some advice.

Many thanks,

Matthew

2. Matthew Attoe

Matthew Attoe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hi again,

Just wondered if anyone had any info that they might care to share.

Thanks,

Matthew

3. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    Matthew,

My understanding is that the "dirty screen" effect, on this and other sets, is actually on the INSIDE of the screen.

So, it's not just a case of an engineer with a duster! :laugh:

Good luck. :thumbsup:

4. PeteB

PeteB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have just got a PF2 36ZP38 and I am very pleased with the picture quality.

There are no dark bars, geometry problems, screen purity problems on my set. However there are lots of people that bought the same set that are still having all sorts of problems.

I think different people mean different things by 'dirty screen effect'. Normally, there is no problems on my set with white / light backgrounds, but I can occasionally see a slight 'dirty screen effect' when there the camera pans on a light background - e.g. in golf when the camera follows the golf ball across the sky. I have noticed other people with other brand TVs describing the same problem, I think I saw somewhere it was to do with the motion compensation processing - It seems vary rare and slight effect - For some reason it doesn't show up on the panning shots at the begining of the LOTR DVD - don't know if that's because the DVD is connected via component prog scan.

5. Demon

Demon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    The 'smearing' is attributed primarily to the DNR (Dynamic noise reduction).. its a completed trade-off between masking that, for example, noisy Sky TV image and introducing smearing.
    FYI, When in progressive scan mode via component, I believe (well my 51" Tosh does) the DNR is forced off (set to 0), and is greyed out...

I thought I had a serious smearing issue when I first bought the set, and after nearly sending it back, I found that turning the DNR off completely fixed it, but obviously the image was noisier, so, I just set this to 1 or 2 (out of 5), and this seems a good compromise between the odd bit of smearing, and a smoother picture..

6. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +104
    I had a Tosh a few months ago. It had a quite poor dirty screen but nowhere near as bad as the Panasonic PD30. The worst thing on my set was a dark vertical band down the centre of the screen.