Have to boost up center channel a lot - problem with my setup?

SBB

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

Not sure if i'm in the correct area of the forum so sorry if not,

I have the following setup (5.1.2):

Denon X2400H receiver
Panasonic UB820 and Apple TV 4K sources

Speakers:
Dali Zensor 7 fronts
Dali Zensor Vokal centre
Dali E12F sub
Dali Zensor Pico rears
Dali Phantom E60 height channel

Overall I think this setup sounds great with huge dynamic range but I am often finding myself boosting up the center channel when watching movies - doesn't seem to matter about the source

I haven't done any manual tweaking of any settings, just used the in box Audessy setup mic

Currently I have the center channel set to +4.5db which seems like a lot and it feels as if the center is a bit too loud in comparison to the other channels

Am I doing the right thing, does anyone have any better suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Are you using dynamic volume?

I checked and it's set as follows

MultEQ XT Reference
Dynamic EQ On
Reference level offset 0dB
Dynamic Volume Off

I believe these are the defaults - would adjusting these help?

I checked and it's set as follows

MultEQ XT Reference
Dynamic EQ On
Reference level offset 0dB
Dynamic Volume Off

I believe these are the defaults - would adjusting these help?
I find that dynamic EQ boosts the surround channels too much so try turning it off. I use dynamic volume set to medium as that helps to equalise all the channels including the centre channel so that dialogue isn't drowned out. It all depends on the volume you normally listen at.

I will try dynamic EQ off first and report back, thanks

How well positioned is the Centre speaker relative to your seating?

Joe

Theres some photos of my setup here, it's not ideal but not horrible (limited by size/shape of room, as im sure most are). It might be a bit hard to tell from photos but primary seating position on the sofa is pretty much directly in front of the center channel

Theres some photos of my setup here, it's not ideal but not horrible (limited by size/shape of room, as im sure most are). It might be a bit hard to tell from photos but primary seating position on the sofa is pretty much directly in front of the center channel

Can you angle the centre so it is pointing to ear level and also move it forward to the edge of the cabinet.

Nothing wrong with 'boosting' the centre. My centre is +3db, rears +1.5db and all other speakers on 0db.

Thanks for the replies all

I have moved the center channel forward and put some rubber feet under the front to tilt it up slightly for testing (looks a bit weird, looking for a better solution there, maybe a foam wedge or something).

This has definitely helped with the dialogue issue to the point where i'm not thinking about it so much any more (might be partially placebo effect..)

Might be worth re-running Audyssey after the changes. Be careful with Dynamic Volume it compresses dynamic range. After calibration download a free DB meter app for your phone, go into Denon manual setup and play a test tone, turn volume up until DB meter shows 75 ish (c rated) then check the level of the other speakers. May be worth changing their volume until all read 75 or thereabouts

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom