1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Have things changed much since 2001 ?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by PaulBoy, Jan 5, 2005.

1. PaulBoy

PaulBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Maybe a stoopid question but you know how it is when your a "serial upgrader" :blush:
    I have a small lounge (16'x14') in which I have a 32" ws TV 6 Kef "Eggs" and a REL Quake hooked up to a Denon 3801 - The system sounds gr8 to my ears & others - some of whom have AV setups ...
    Back to my question though - I have been considering changing the 3801 Have things moved on since 2001 ? Would I notice a big difference ? The only "new" sound format appears to be DPLII (which I can live without)
    What would I expect to get for my 3801 ? What would I need to spend to better it ?
    Answers to any of the above would be much appreciated ... Paul ;)

2. ahin4114

ahin4114

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    I'll skip the if it ain't broke don't fix it comments and moving straight into the serial upgrading realm :)

The amp that you have is capable of doing so much more than you're letting it becuase of the speakers that you're using. If you have cash burning a hole in your pocket, then perhaps an upgrade of the speakers would be a good place to start.

Amp's haven't moved on in any meaningful way, apart from the processing options you mentioned. Most of the current shift in technology seems to be in display equipment. I think if I was happy with the sound of the system, but wanted to upgrade things, then a new screen would be worth looking into, speakers would make a good upgrade as you may find yourself happier with your amp then.

Tony

3. PaulBoy

PaulBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Tony - thanks for your ideas - I appreciate the Kefs may be the weak link in my setup but I really dont have the space to accommodate any "real" speakers - perhaps I should channel my serial upgrading into moving house hehe ... Paul ;)