1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

have Sweetspot, Nebula worth it?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Kaz, Oct 31, 2004.

1. Kaz

Kaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got a sweetspot hooked upto NTL digital. it gives a fantastic picture.
    but I've never gotten my head around recording what with the hassle of recording sound seperately.

I've gotten the impression that SDI mods are seriously entering into the wrong side of the 80/20 rule when it comes to digital TV, but would it be worth getting a Nebula interms of:
    Picture quality?
    ease of use?
    ease of recording?

2. Kaz

Kaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    still interested :thumbsup: :lease:

3. groovyclam

groovyclam
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The quality is the same as any FreeView source. You will need a decent aerial setup - my Nebula card is more sensitive to poorer feed than my DVB telly off the same aerial.

Recordings are MPEG2 files that include both video and sound in the same file and can be played back in any player that can handle MPEG2 files, provided you have a DVD codec installed on your system - ZoomPlayer, Media Player, the new TheatreTek. Different codecs give better output. Sonic Cinemaster is a good codec, there is the new DScaler5 codec that is constantly improving. NVidia have a new codec that is meant to be good - it comes with TheaterTek.

The GUI that comes with the Nebula was pretty flakey to start with - it is just maturing now into something approaching decent, it is the best of what is around at the moment but frankly I don't think it is good enough. The GUI can play back its own recorded files but I prefer to use ZoomPlayer and the DScaler codec.

If you want to use Win XP MCE 2005 ( which is probably a better GUI ) then a Nebula won't work in that setup because Nebula haven't released drivers for such a setup. I would think they will keep soldiering on trying to improve their own GUI.

4. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,130
    Sweetspot with Dscaler is pretty good , deinterlacing is probably as good as it gets for HTPC . I find mine handy for badly mastered or video originated discs that otherwise make dvd software players choke.

Its also nice to know that the Xbox and kid's videos look about as good as they can. Its nice to stop buying a new capture card every 3 months!

Nebula is a bit sharper but the deinterlacing is a bit more basic although this isn' really an issue on film material. I quite like the interface , its unobtrusive and straight forward (apart from the stupid pop up player gui which I never use). I've never had a problem with it although it can be a little unstable and the remote control doesn't like plasmas near by.