Have Soundbars Improved Much Over The Past Few Years?

The problem I have soundbars is limited connectivity. With a passive soundbar I could have this amount of connectivity.

Even if they do give more than acceptable sound quality, the lack of configuration and HDMI inputs is a compromise.

If I wanted to use my SW-150 sub with a passive soundbar and AVR I can. Quite a few soundbars don't even have a sub out, or those that are wireless require to you use their own brand of sub. You can't have multiple subs, use a antimode, or use own surround speakers, etc etc.

I'd just get the cheapest AVR, passive soundbar, and a budget sub

Attachments

• denon_avc-x8500ha_gallery_03_europe.jpg
    denon_avc-x8500ha_gallery_03_europe.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 61
Great read, a lot went over my head but still a good read.

The big advantage I have found with Soundbars is Dialogue.

When I had a 6.1 Separate’s systems (albeit budget but certainly not crap) the biggest problem I had was being able to clearly hear the dialogue, TV was noticeably better than Movies.

I did speak to at least 3 different experts (well salesman in Professional HiFi Stores) who all said it was a common problem.

I have what I’d call a good midrange Soundbar and (I do have dialogue enhancement turned on) but it really is better than the separates. The pay back is that my Sound Bar will only allow a Max set up of 5.2 and I do miss having a centre rear speaker.

Dialogue is a mixture of dynamic range compression, center speech level, center speaker quality. On my old AV pre I can raise frequencies that speech resides.

Dialogue is a mixture of dynamic range compression, center speech level, center speaker quality. On my old AV pre I can raise frequencies that speech resides.

With movies like Tenet, even the best AVR won't help with dialogues due to the way it is mixed

If I had a sound proof room I won't hesitate to go back to separates especially for sub and dedicated ceiling speakers bur living in a ground floor flat with poor insulation makes that Impossible. I still remember War of the Worlds DTS DVD blowing my 12 inch sub many many years ago.

The Q9500A sounds way better than my separates when it comes immersion minus deep bass.

I am simply amazed how much soundbar has improved over time.

With movies like Tenet, even the best AVR won't help with dialogues due to the way it is mixed

If I had a sound proof room I won't hesitate to go back to separates especially for sub and dedicated ceiling speakers bur living in a ground floor flat with poor insulation makes that Impossible. I still remember War of the Worlds DTS DVD blowing my 12 inch sub many many years ago.

The Q9500A sounds way better than my separates when it comes immersion minus deep bass.

I am simply amazed how much soundbar has improved over time.

The lexicon mc-8 dialogue enhance feature worked very well on that movie allows +6db adjustment. It's not simply center level but makes only speech louder

Sound bars have their limits but they are improving ever year as the technology seems to be getting better and better.
It wouldn’t surprise me if someday we start seeing sound bars with more HDMI ports, ability for multiple subs and bigger drivers etc.
The Samsung HW-Q990B is probably the best right now especially for Atmos effects etc.
It easily could replace a low-mid range AVR + speaker setup.
It all come down to individual needs.

I'm looking for a good "LCR" style soundbar; essentially the front soundstage in one enclosure. I have my own AVR, sub and surrounds, but I'd quite like a cohesive large box for my LCR.

I've seen "Theory Audio" passives mentioned previously. I don't see any reason why they'd need their own proprietary processor/amp thingy. Would these work with an AVR, because they look exactly like what I'd need.

Any alternatives?

I'm looking for a good "LCR" style soundbar; essentially the front soundstage in one enclosure. I have my own AVR, sub and surrounds, but I'd quite like a cohesive large box for my LCR.

I've seen "Theory Audio" passives mentioned previously. I don't see any reason why they'd need their own processor/amp thingy. Would these work with an AVR, because they look exactly like what I'd need.

Any alternatives?

Monitor Audio have one for around £700/£800, and Monoprice at £320

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom