Question Have Sony started locking games to a single account/user????

Discussion in 'Playstation - PS4 & Vita' started by nick270881, Dec 14, 2016.

1. nick270881

nick270881

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    Hiya, I turned on my PS4 for the first time in a while and have noticed something strange/new....

I have a UK and a USA PSN account on my console and until now I have been able to play games purchased from either store using my UK sign in

I noticed that now when signed in to my UK account, my US games have a padlock icon and when I try and play one of them it tells me I can only play using the user that has the licence (my US sign in) so I have to login as that user to open the game

This is definitely something that has not been in place before and it has now rendered my game saves unusable [emoji35]

Any ideas???

2. CAS FAN

CAS FAN
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,371
    All of my Canadian and U.K. Games are still playable on my U.K. Account. Is your console the primary console on both accounts?

3. nick270881

nick270881

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    Should be......nothing has been changed at all but I will check

4. Eddibhoy

Eddibhoy
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I purchased Until Dawn off of the US store last night and played it without any issue on my UK account today. All of my other US and Canadian games are fine too

5. nick270881

nick270881

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    I think I may have identified the problem but I can't find a way to fix it.....

For some reason my PS4 is not showing as the "primary console" for my US account.....it was and it is now telling me that "another" PS4 is the primary one

I've never had another console and I haven't given my ID to anyone

I can't deactivate it through SEN as it is telling me it has already been done but when I try and make it the primary I get told there is another primary PS4

I've also tried going through PSN support to get it deactivated but the serial number is not recognised as it is too long for a USA account

Quite a fe people have had this mysteriously happen and Sony don't seem to want to help.......there's now no way to log into ANY PS4 as my primary system as there's this mysterious "other" console somewhere!!! [emoji35][emoji35][emoji35]

6. Eddibhoy

Eddibhoy
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I might be wrong, but if you log onto your PS4, go to settings, choose the PS account/network management and choose activate as primary PS4. That might sort it?

7. nick270881

nick270881

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    Tried that....it won't let me....it tells me another system is the primary and that I need to deactivate it first

Looks like some scumbag has hacked my account and activated another console as a primary meaning I'm effectively locked out of my own content!!!

If I buy a brand new console can I "force" it to become the new primary or will I still need to deactivate this mysterious PS4???

8. Eddibhoy

Eddibhoy
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    You would probably need to deactivate it first. If you can log into SEN, why can't you deactivate it from there?

9. nick270881

nick270881

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    It tells me I can't deactivate a system at this time

Sony only allow you to deactivate a system once every 6 months.....looks like whoever has accessed my account has done this and activated their own console as the primary one meaning I can't deactivate for 6 months

Reading the web it seems Sony wont budge on their 6 month rule either which is pathetic

10. King Tones

King Tones
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18,286
    Make sure you have changed the password to the US Account and also setup 2 Step Verification for it and your main account.

You just need to keep pestering Sony Support on this and they can deactivate it and you can then set your console as Primary. Ensure you have done the above though as you don't want to be locked out of your US Account with Purchases against it.

11. CAS FAN

CAS FAN
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,371
    Thought that would be the case. Didn't know that you could only change it once every 6 months. I activated and deactivated a few consoles on my account when I swapped them all about whilst upgrading to Pros the other week.

Just get on to Sony, explain the situation and I'm sure that they will deactivate the other console.

12. Otis

Otis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    When I bought my pro console I had a similar problem. I ended up phoning America & they did it there & then.

13. jambomakaveli

jambomakaveli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399
    Bit of a bump, but had this same problem kinda.

I have a PS4 pro, and so does my brother. We created a USA account, and set my console as the primary console. He also has this USA account on his, but not as primary, so he has to be logged into this account to play it. Whereas on mine I can play using my uk account as the us account is set to primary and will let any I.D play the games.

We've built up a great digital collection and buy most half decent games that come out.

Recently I couldn't play anything as everything was padlocked. After reading online, it seems I was hacked.

I was in a terrible spot, as I couldn't phone or contact uk support as it's an American account. I couldn't phone America. I couldn't even live chat, as it tells me to contact my region.

I used a vpn to trick my laptop and get me into the USA live chat.

Nothing they could do, 6 month wait, etc, but he would escalate it.

I then came across another post online telling people in America to file a complaint with the better business bureau.

I done this.... and unbelievably it worked!

From realising I'd been hacked, to filing my complaint to having it resolved, took only a day and a half!!!

I have changed the email password, and have activated 2 step authentication. Which is great. I'd advise everyone to enable that. You put in your password as normal, but they will then txt a code to your mobile and you must input said code to gain access to your account. So unless a hacker gets your phone, as well as your password, they won't be getting into your account.

But to sum up.... anyone having to apparently wait 6 months with a us account, file a complaint with the bbb and it will be sorted quickly!

14. nick270881

nick270881

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    I ended up ringing them, told them I spent 6 months of the year in the US which was why I had a UK console but a US account

The guy was really helpful, took all my details and said he'd escalate it and it would be fixed within 24 hours.....and it was!!!

Well worth the £2 phone call to the US vs a week of live chat frustrations!!!

15. jambomakaveli

jambomakaveli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399
    That's genius! Lol. Never thought of that.

It was horrible! I've spent thousands on the game collection I've got now, and for them all to be locked was horrible and really stressful.

Now that I've turned on two step authentication, the only way I can be hacked, is if the hacker gets a hold of my mobile!

16. silvercue

silvercue
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,668
    this solution could do with being in a sticky somewhere...

17. Kyle009

Kyle009

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Just enabled 2 step verification on my US account too. Better to be safe than sorry.