• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Have small 5.1 system, is partial upgrade worth it?

putagana

Standard Member
Hi,
I have a small 5.1 system (yamaha nsp100 speakers + rxv350 amp), which works ok for movies, but I can't stand to listen to them with music anymore... I like to listen to rock/heavy rock, and being the small speakers they are, the sound is very weak and shallow.

So, I'm considering to buy 2 floorstanders to cope with my musical demands (I'm considering Monitor Audio BR5).
My doubt is, what can I expect when I mix the 2 floorstanders with the rest of the system (for movies only, for music I'll only use the fronts) ?
Because of the mismatching of speakers will this sound horrible?
Will I be forced to just dump the old speakers and live with a 2 speaker (or 2.1) setup for some time?

I don't want to spend too much now, but I also did't want to end up losing the whole 5.1 setup.

Thanks for your input.

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
It won't sound horrible, in fact it should sound decidely better.
The main concern would be the difference between the centre and the fronts.
You'd have to try that and see what you think. If you don't like it, you could remove the centre and run in phantom centre mode.
The obvious thing would be to get a matching centre for the fronts.

Seeing as the rears do a lot less work, they are not so important and many people mix and match in the way you want to, with no ill effects.

The Atheist

Hi,
I have a small 5.1 system (yamaha nsp100 speakers + rxv350 amp), which works ok for movies, but I can't stand to listen to them with music anymore... I like to listen to rock/heavy rock, and being the small speakers they are, the sound is very weak and shallow.

So, I'm considering to buy 2 floorstanders to cope with my musical demands (I'm considering Monitor Audio BR5).
My doubt is, what can I expect when I mix the 2 floorstanders with the rest of the system (for movies only, for music I'll only use the fronts) ?
Will I be forced to just dump the old speakers and live with a 2 speaker (or 2.1) setup for some time?

I don't want to spend too much now, but I also did't want to end up losing the whole 5.1 setup.

Thanks for your input.
What is your budget?

Gadgetcity

Hi,

I have a Boston Acoustics centre with my MA GR10's and it is fine for movies. The centre is pants with music (if I have prologic left on from TV watching) but switching back to stereo is no hassle and sounds great. (I listen to a lot of heavy rock)

Hope that helps

DolbyDan

Unless you buy a matching bronze centre, don't bother using the Yamaha one as the br5s will sound better without it. You could always use it as a centre rear, if your amp allows for a centre rear channel.

Mark.Yudkin

Distinguished Member
Music will sound better, film tracks may sound worse as the centre is now relatively worse. A concurrent centre upgrade would be worthwhile, but you may prefer to upgrade in steps. The rears can be left as is.

For (heavy) rock you may want to spend some effort on balancing the subwoofer and/or improving it. I suspect your problems are more due to the lack of adequate bass for what you listen to.

putagana

Standard Member
Ok, so I guess it's relatively safe to upgrade just the fronts, it should at least be tolerable.

I understand the center will be my main problem, but I'm trying to avoid upgrading it for now, as it would of course lower my budget for the fronts.

Mark:
I was hoping that after the upgrade I wouldn't have to rely so much (or at all!) on the subwoofer for music. Is this unrealistic for the price range I'm considering?

The Atheist:
I don't want to go much over 500 euros.

Thank you all for your advice!

alchemistkevin

I've heard good reviews of Q acoustics 1010's for under £300 they should be good for music and movies. for around £30 you can get an upgrade to front floorstanders think they're called 1030 or check for deals on 1050's - they sound good with music too, I think they cost under £200 for a pair.

Good luck :)

Mark.Yudkin

Distinguished Member
I don't think you're going to be able to eliminate the sub for your combination of budget and desired application. You may be able to lower the crossover frequency though: 80Hz would be a good target.

The Atheist

The Atheist:
I don't want to go much over 500 euros.

Thank you all for your advice!

For that money I would probably look into a replacement surround system. Something along the lines of the kef 1005.2s or Kef 2005.2s (i've seen these at around £440 if you can stretch to that) or probably better still (for your budget at least) the Q acoustics 1010 5.1 system (on superfi's website at £299.95 at the mo). If you choose this route you will hear improvements in both movies and music.

Alternatively, if music is your main concern, it may be worth looking at getting a seperate stereo amp and decent floorstanders. Sometheing like these:

http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/2831 + http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/3977

or

http://www.richersounds.com/showproduct.php?cda=showproduct&pid=NAD-C315-TIT + http://www.richersounds.com/showproduct.php?cda=showproduct&pid=KEF-IQ5-MAP

If your current AV amp has preouts you'll be able to hook all this up to your surround system too.

I would highly recommend testing a couple of options for yourself before you buy though, as it is your opinion that counts not ours :D

putagana

Standard Member
Mark said:
"For (heavy) rock you may want to spend some effort on balancing the subwoofer and/or improving it. I suspect your problems are more due to the lack of adequate bass for what you listen to."

You may have a point there, I thought I had the sub in the better place possible, but moved it around and actually got some good improvements. Got it away from the back wall, and now bass is fuller and *less boomy*. I thought that because it was booming I was getting the better (stronger) bass possible... duh :)
This makes me think maybe I don't need floorstanders after all, and some good bookshelves can serve my needs.

Robsk1

Not sure if you can get these in Portugal but how about the Epos M5

Listened to these when i was i looking at stereo speakers and they were great. Just a tad over my budget at the time.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom