Have Sky updated the HD boxes lateley?

ittim

Novice Member
Since tuesday my normally reliable Sky HD box has been playing up.

Firstly on tuesday the missus phoned me to tell me it had crashed. Now it does every now and then so just told her to power cycle the box.

Now i have a wirelss av sender plugged into the scart so i can watch tv in our bedroom. That same night i could get sound by no picture.

In the end i power cycled it (for the second time that night) and the picture returned.

Wednesdsay the picture had gone from the wireless sender again. Powe cycle fixed it.

Thursday, Boxed crashed (blue screen and froze) power cycled it and later that evening no picture on wireless system again.

All of a sudden it has become very poor. So much so that its existence is now hanging on a thread.

Has something caused this or has it just developed a fault?

paulr2006

Distinguished Member
If it's one of the older Thomson boxes then I'm afraid it sounds like a typical Power Supply fault, theres plenty of info about this but essentaily the easiest way is to get a Satcure uprated PSU & swap it.

If it's another or younger box then it would be best to call sky.

ittim

Novice Member
Quite possibly then, not been on here for a while so i'll have a read up.

It is one of the earlier boxes. I'm thinking of moving to Virgin anyway so maybe that will be my best option.

The missus thinks i'm blaming her..... well i am really. :D

B

BromleyWHU

Since tuesday my normally reliable Sky HD box has been playing up.

Firstly on tuesday the missus phoned me to tell me it had crashed. Now it does every now and then so just told her to power cycle the box.

Now i have a wirelss av sender plugged into the scart so i can watch tv in our bedroom. That same night i could get sound by no picture.

In the end i power cycled it (for the second time that night) and the picture returned.

Wednesdsay the picture had gone from the wireless sender again. Powe cycle fixed it.

Thursday, Boxed crashed (blue screen and froze) power cycled it and later that evening no picture on wireless system again.

All of a sudden it has become very poor. So much so that its existence is now hanging on a thread.

Has something caused this or has it just developed a fault?

Off topic (apologies) but what AV sender are you using and how far does it have to send the signal, been thinking about getting one of these myself :smashin:

ittim

Novice Member
its a very cheap technika one. Its ok can suffer with interference sometimes but not too bad considering it cost about 30 quid.

its one of the few that is quit small too which is a bonus and we live in an average 3 bed semi and the signal is pretty good from the bottom left hand corner of the house to the top right hand corner.

i would say however that if there are people moving around you can suffer from interference. Also Xbox 360 controllers will interfere unless the xbox is litterally disconnected from the mains.

paulr2006

Distinguished Member
Quite possibly then, not been on here for a while so i'll have a read up.

It is one of the earlier boxes. I'm thinking of moving to Virgin anyway so maybe that will be my best option.

The missus thinks i'm blaming her..... well i am really. :D

You can get an uprated swap out power supply for around £30 (Digifix) which is a good option, not difficult to do & it makes a massive improvement to the box reliability & often PQ. :)

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom