Have sky changed their subscription policy......

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by papa_flump, Apr 24, 2007.

1. papa_flump

papa_flump

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    ..... If I buy my own sky hd box do I still have to subscribe for 12 months to get their hd package or is the 12 month subscription period only for those getting their box from sky?

Also If I buy a box today & pair my multiroom card up to it.. I will get bbc1 hd free, is this correct? and if I take out sky's subscripton for hd content... can I watch a few football matches & then cancel the hd subscription within a set period & then still use the hd box as I am using my std multiroom box now.

cheers

2. BigAl3

BigAl3
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a box from MidSat, installed it myself, and then phoned Sky to pair my existing viewing card with the box and activate the HD sport and film channels. I was told that the extra subscription would be £10 per month, but nothing was said about a 12-month contract.

BBC HD is free. You can get this without paying for the subscription channels.

I assume that if you take out a 12-month HD subscription contract Sky will hold you to it.

3. CDM

CDM
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You probably don't realise it but in taking out the extra £10/month HD subscription, you have now tied yourself into another 12 months - unless you cancel your entire subscription. The fact that the Smy minion on the phone never mentioned it to you at the time is neither here nor there - typical Sky tactics.

The BBC HD preview channel is free and you don't need to purchase the £10/month subscription just because you have purchased a HD box. The subscription is ONLY necessary if you wish all the 'other' HD channels. You can install the HD box, call Sky to pair your existing card with the new box and enjoy the BBC HD preview channel (at least for as long as the preview trial lasts).

- CDM

4. papa_flump

papa_flump

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Cheers, thanks for the clarification... I guess recording the conversation with the sky person.. hoping they don't mention the 12 mth tie-in might be a safe back-up....

as for the cancellation period... is it 30 days or something? and lastly.. is bbc hd trail the only hd freeview channel on sky?

5. BigAl3

BigAl3
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

6. dino2021

dino2021

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +138
    Seems that if any new equipment is added to your account, whether it is done by sky, third party installer or you buy a new box off ebay, when it is added to your account it automatically enters you in to a new 12 month contract. Though they could of been getting confused with the hd subscription I guess

I tried to cancel and was told this, I bought a contract free box off a retailer, Sky said I should of been made aware of this when the new equipment/package was been added to my account, so just a warning for any one who bought a box off ebay or through a 3rd party installer contract free it is not, or so Sky claim

Not a happy camper

7. scottyf

scottyf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    so if your box goes wrong and you buy a second hand one to replace it as soon as you pair your card you are then tied into another 12 month contract
    complete rubbishi would like to see sky try to make that one stand up.

i have never seen anything in any of the t&c that state this.

alot of setups are subsidized so tie you into a contract but anything you buy yourself is not(maybe the box you bought was subsidized or the retailer gave sky your info to claim cash back so putting you down as a new install)

as for the hd question
    (i wanted to know this as i was wanting to buy/fit my own)

alot of the responses i have seen on here and digital spy forums(from so called sky experts:rolleyes: )claim that as soon as you pair your card to the hd box you are tied to a 12 month contract(they claim the same for sky+ also and i dont believe it.its like adding movies to your package for a month)first off i thought this to be wrong as in skys t&c it says on most deals subject to a telephone line connected and 12 months subscription(well you havent had a deal so these rules dont apply)also a member on digital spy done the same thing(fitted his own hd box)and then when he wanted to cancel was told it was 12 months contract when he then informed sky he did not get a susidized install but fitted himself they agreed and he could cancel whenever.
    (i would post a link but ds is down this weekend)

8. dino2021

dino2021

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +138
    I said new stuff equipment not 2nd hand stuff, I am guessing they know the equipment is new as the box serial that is paired to the card wont of appeared on the system before.

I also think its rubbish but thats what they said :)

9. ian-d

ian-d

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +164
    sugarhigh - your information is incorrect! If you buy a replacement HD digibox for your existing HD subscription, the HD subscription continues as normal, it doesn't renew for another 12 months. Its down to when the facility was added to your account, not when you put a new digibox on it. Naturally you won't have HD until you get a HD digibox.

The purchase of a HD digibox and facility DOES sign you up for another 12 months, but doesn't mean for the whole subscription you have, just the HD, so for example if your subscription is outside of the 12 month contract, then you could cancel your subscription and just continue to pay the HD until its time is up.

No matter where you buy from, this should be explained by someone. Its a grey area whether the supplier or CS at sky should tell you.

If you are buying digiboxes from the likes of midsat, or another supplier at anything significantly less than the retail from Sky, then its highly likely you are buying a subsidised digibox, and as such should be used with an existing subscription otherwise the supplier is being charged for the additional. Midsat i beleive have a clause to state that the digibox must be activated with a subscription within 10 days.

10. scottyf

scottyf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    the 12 month contract thing when you source your own hd box(ebay,ect)is very vague with nothing mentioned in any t&c about doing your own setup.
    i had the same question a while ago as i wanted to buy a hd box but didnt want to get myself into a another 12 month contract.various people and sky installers claimed that adding sky hd or sky+ to your account would tie you into a 12 month contract.i knew that the sky+ did not tie you in as i know a few people that have done just that and not had any problems dropping sky 6-8 months later so this led me to question the hd add on.

if you read all the sky t&c you will see that the telephone/12 months agreement is only for new installs and as far as i know no one has ever been told that they have entered into a 12 month contract when adding skyhd to there account when ringing sky cs after doing a self install.
    here is a link to someone on DS who done a self install and stopped there hd subs within the 12month period.

as far as i was aware all sky system installs bought through a retailer are subsidized and as such they tie you into a 12 month contract to claw back some money.and the t&c seem to state this.supplying your own equipment however is a dark area.

edit

just found this here is the emails to and from sky regarding the hd subs

11. scottyf

scottyf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    i would say that new/second hand should make no difference.sky have not supplied you with any service to justify holding you to a 12 month contract.

i think that the retailer has used your info to claim cash back(signed you up for 12 months)or that sky are trying to pull a fast one.

if i was you i would ring up and cancel and not take no for a answer.

look at the link in my previous post someone who done the same with hd sorted his out in the end:)

12. nickp8

nickp8

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    When I got my HD box off ebay and rang to pair the card to the box, I was told I would have to take out the HD subscription for £10 extra a month, or they wouldnt pair the card to the box. They said the HD sub is a minimum 12 month contract.

However in the end they agreed to pair the card to the box without the HD sub after checking with their supervisor.

Nickp.

13. papa_flump

papa_flump

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I phoned sky and paired my existing sky+ card to the new HD box.... (self install & box from ebay) nothing what so ever was mentioned about a 12 month subscription... (I even recorded to converstaion :D ) surely they must be obliged to inform you if it's for 12 months extra (been with sky since '94)...

I can also confirm that my sky+ box (now the multiroom box) failed the week before (11 months old)... when sky came out and swapped it over i asked if the new box came with a 12 month guarantee... NO... it has a 1 month guarantee... as my initial 12 month subscription to sky+ only had the 1 months remaining.... the nice people at sky were very nice however and offered me the optional insurance for a further 12 months, this was duely declined.... but got me thinking.. if my HD box was to fail... as long as I was paying sky for an HD subscription (within the first year) would they send someone out to fix/replace... in fear of losing the extra £'s in subscription charges.... anyone else think this could be an area for discussion?

I mean... if sky are sure you have to subscribe to a years subscription on HD... if after 2 months your privately purchased equipment fails & you can't view their hd content, am sure they will say.. tough, 10 more months subs please...(or will they)......

If the above is true.. it's a bit like sky having the cake & eating it... (not new I know) but it's no different for us to say.. if we are paying for the service, then we expect the equipment (which carries your name btw) to do the job... regardless where I brought it from, as long as it's never been registered/paired before!

There must be some absolute ruling on this... it's not like sky's box can be used for other subscription based companies other than sky.. or can it?

sky box brand new from sky £299
    sky box brand new from independant reatialler via ebay £175 (unless there are some serious fraudsters out there, just goes to show how much sky are making from their box sales)

Lastly if these sellers on ebay are doing anything illegal why are ebay & sky allowing it... I told sky I got the box from ebay (recorded conversation).. nothing was said, 5 mins later I had hd content!

14. suniil

suniil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +402
    I bought HD box from a local installer 10 months ago. when i rangup for pairing, i asked them to confirm that i'm not bound to HD subs. they confirmed this in writing to me.

but now plus feature is free with hd subs, so no point to opt out.

15. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    HD box from EBay installed last night

Paired with my card no problem, but.... the woman almost made it sound like she couldn't do it at first, hoping I'd say 'go on then, stick the £10 sub on'.

Sky staff aren't daft.