1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Have Sharp Lost the LCD plot?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by joker_zero, Sep 9, 2005.

1. joker_zero

joker_zero
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I mean really, after 5+ years in the market for LCDs Sharp announce thier fantastic new LCDs that support native 540p. Their only 37 LCD on the market right now (i.e. available to actually buy- 37GA5E ), in the UK does not even sport a HDMI port and therefor for all intensive purposes is NOT HD ready.

They do this amid fanfare just 4 months before the UK finally catches up with the rest of the western world with 1080i.

Meanwhile those great and well-known innovators 'BENQ' beat Sharp to the post with an affordable (newsflash - the 45 inch ti is not affordable), 1080p screen the DV3750. In the states 1080p screens are popping up all over lead by Westinghouse (which is effectively a British owned company!!!!).

Has the world gone mad? Come on Sharp, you supposedly lead the way for LCD- but all you can provide us are overpriced, compromised LCDs for HD - none of you screens are even native 720p, while our first promise of HD tramsmission is specified at 1080i, and your response is to finally provide proper support for a format overdue for the scrap heap.

Simple fact is - I'd love to buy a Sharp - its a solid brand and the TV's look great - but the flawed specification is just not forgivable at these price points, am I the only one who thinks we should be offered screens around the 2K mark that have the right ports on them and support the resolutions we are likely to use our investment on in the next 2-3 years.

Glad I got that off my chest. I'll get back in my hole now and wait another 6 months for something actually worth 2 grand to appear on the markt. :D

2. jimg

jimg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Yawn..... You are a joker I guess.
    I have had a Sharp 37GA4 for a year now and that has DVI-HDCP, lucky I did not wait for the 37GA5 that I was offered at the time as being a lower cost option. The Sky HD announcement had not been made at that time and I would have regretted waiting. The bad news was that all the GA3 and GA4 models sold out and the late to arrive GA5 was all we were left with. The new range are the 6 and 7 models as I am sure you know. The P50's are a different range altogether.

3. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    I don't think Sharp is one losing the plot. They're one of the few manufacturers out there who are producing panels to meet most needs. The, non HD Ready, P Series optimised for PAL but will still be able to output HD albeit ate a lower resolution. Then there will be the new fully HD Ready GA6 and GD7 models which are currently being released and are on the Sharp UK website as we speak.

And as Jim has already stated they were on of the first to produce HD Ready screens with last years GA3, GA4 and GD1 models. So I really don't think Sharp need to be doing much catching up.

4. brakepad

brakepad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm definitely swaying towards Joker's view of things, although not specifically faulting Sharp. To their credit, the GA3/4E were arguably one of the the best all-round TV's available towards the end of 2004 and the prices were competitive too. Just a shame that their production run was massively underestimated.

What does baffle me is that a lot of new ranges have hit the shelves fairly recently (Tosh, JVC, Samsung, LG, Pana, Sony, Philips, and soon Sharp) yet only Philips offer a 37" 1080 screen. I'm not going to get my hopes up though, as Philips' record of PC resolution support has been pretty woeful in the past.

In addition, the price jump between analogue and digital tuner models is often several hundred pounds which is ridiculous considering how much twin-tuner set-top-boxes with hard disk recorders cost. DTT has been around for years, so why on earth do £2.5k TV's still come with analogue only tuners?

And 15-pin D-Sub connectors?. what the fudge is the point? Put a DVI-I connector on there then everyone's happy.

I'm perfectly aware that in this sector you'll never buy anything if you always wait for the next big thing, but I honestly don't think there is a single LCD TV out there satisfies all my requirements, and I've been looking for absolutely ages.

P.S. If anyone's got any suggestions: 32-45", but if >32" must be 1920x1080. Two digital connectors i.e. DVI-I & HDMI, HDCP compliant. Native resolution support from PC on at least one digital connector, preferably with minimal dicking around (Hitachi!). Digital Tuner. No internal fan. Removable speakers (or at least very subtle speakers, rules out LG 32LP1D unfortunately. So close though!).

5. jobseeker

jobseeker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Well, to be bit contrary, I take my hat off to Sharp for offering the P50 series to the vast majority of TV viewers in this country who don't care a jot for hi-def, HDMI and all the other stuff that's lost on them. They don't want to play hi-def games, watch blu-ray or hi-def dvd's, watch hi-def Sky transmissions or connect computers. They just want to watch tele. I still question the worth of hi-def on any screen below 42-50 " unless it's being watched really close up. By the time there is any significant spread of hi-def transmissions into free mainstream viewing all the stuff we have now will be way outdated and need replacing anyway I reckon. That's why I now own 2 26" Sharp P50's for routine viewing. I'm waiting a little longer to replace the the TV in the cinema/music room because I do sit close and want to see more 1080 displays - I agree with you on that one. I don't like the idea of 768 screens for stuff that's 720 or 1080 native res - it seems stupid (though perhaps not if you want a computer display maybe)

6. joker_zero

joker_zero
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    So what you are saying is that Sharp are not supplying any HD sets to the UK except the TI, I agree - I think this is a bad thing. Not sure where I went wrong for you.

7. joker_zero

joker_zero
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2

8. andrewfee

andrewfee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +500
    The difference is that downscaling looks great (and can hide certain artifacts etc) wheras upscaling tends to look bad. (in comparison)

The Sharp P50 series shouldn't have to scale SD content, so if that's your primary source, and it will be for many people for years to come, then it's much better to go with this LCD, as it will give you a better picture.

9. mike7

mike7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +513
    I guess Sharps strategy is not too difficult to comprehend. It's not about pixels,High Definition, sockets, brightness ratios, response times etc etc the market place is all about PRICE!. That's what the majority of punters put first. It would seem that Sharp waited to see where the market leaders would pitch their prices. In the end it would seem that the new Sharps pretty well match the cost of the new Sonys. Give it a couple of months and the prices will tumble a couple of hundred or so. John Lewis are already 'bundling' the Sonys with DVD players and Home Theatre set-ups in order to make the LCD appear cheaper. With only the Philips to come the field is set in the latest LCD race.

10. jobseeker

jobseeker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    I liken hi-def and the arguments for and against to my love of music. I have spent a fortune on equipment over the years because I listen to music as an enveloping activity in itself and with which I make an emotional connection. Now 99% of people I know just don't 'get it' because they have never looked for that level of detail and presentation. Their cheap and, frankly, awful mini systems with flashing lights a-plenty are 'good enough' for them. The new 'hi-def' audio formats of DVD-Audio and SACD have hardly made a ripple with 'joe public'.

I believe that the majority of TV viewers are like that about their picture quality. Most people would not complain about a well reproduced PAL TV picture and would be perfectly happy with it. Yes, Hi-def might be better if done properly and viewed properly on the right set, but I believe that most viewers aren't that bothered and most still don't want huge sets. Just because another kind of picture might be better in a side-by-side comparison does not mean that what we already have isn't 'good enough' if you see what I mean. Don't get me wrong, by the way, I am potentially interested in hi-def on my main screen, but it'll be years before it matters for the other 5 sets in my house, or even the main sets for many viewers.

11. spoons1

spoons1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,ALL,
    Would like to have the new Sharp 37GA7 lcd,
    will wait to try one see if it will cope with fast films and football a good test (grass)
    regards
    spoons1.

12. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    Did Sharp ever have the LCD plot - I'm not making fun, I'm asking. None of their screens has stuck out as particularly special to me. Is it just because they're the biggest manufacturer?

13. freekbear

freekbear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

If you're feeling DIY: the way the LG 32LP1D is constructed you could remove the speakers yourself very easily, it's just a screws and they slide out of the rail at the bottom. The rail has simple caps on each end. You'd still be stuck with ally rail at the bottom. Not sure about detaching the cabling though.

14. Kingston LJ

Kingston LJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Joker has made some good and genuine points. A few years ago Sharp commited themselves to LCD technology- and basically said they want to be the pioneers and front-runners in the market. They have not succeeded in becoming one of the most popular brands- and their range isn't going to attract people away from Hitachi-JVC and Sony.

There certainly are some strange people running Sharp imo!

15. manzee

manzee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Your sir are straight up wrong

"aquos TVs account for approximately one third of all flat panel TVs in the world"

16. SeriousPigeon

SeriousPigeon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +105
    In Japan, Sharp have a 50% market share of LCD production, which is a big market.
    The Japanese models are in general a generation or 2 ahead of what you can get here.
    As annoying as it may be to us in the UK, satisfying the Japanese public is the highest priority for Sharp, all other regions come afterwards.

In other words we will have to wait for the really good panels that they do have.

It isn't so much as Sharp have lost the plot, but that their focus is elsewhere.

17. Kingston LJ

Kingston LJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The discussion is about the U.K market- and from what I read see and hear Sharp aren't very popular in this region!

18. jimg

jimg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I guess that is why the whole GA3/4 UK production allocation sold out in no time! :devil:

19. ambi007A

ambi007A

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, Guys.

I would like to know how the P50 performs with a normal Sky digital SD signal v SD signal into a HD LCD panel? Does Sharp use any form of picture processing like WEGA or Bravia, Pixel Plus to produce a better picture?

20. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    The point he is making is that Sharp seem to have stumbled and fallen. The GA3/4 was a tremendous TV and pushed Sharp right to the front in the LCD 'race'.

Where are they in the UK now? They have lost their momentum entirely with insufficient production levels and market strategy. The 6/7 may get them going again, but they have lost a lot of ground, sales and reputation.

Interestingly the other market leader, Philips, seem to have sort of shot themselves inthe foot by producing a 'new' flagship TV (9830) that is possibly not as good as the previous one! (9986)

Jimmy

21. ijd

ijd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    says who,
    surely an element of world domination is on the mind of all manufacturers.
    i am extremly pleased with my 32 ga5 e,
    the picture quality is superb and at a price that leaves the competion on the starting blocks.
    cannot say i was particularly impressed with the hi def demos i have seen in comet and even less so in currys (if it even was hi def)
    couple that with the fact that the cost of upgarding the rest of my equipment IE sky and dvd plus the additional cost of receiving HI DEF from sky and the fact that the bbc are half a decade away from broadcasting it, i think Sharp were/are bang on the ball with whats really going on, by the time HI DEf becomes the norm all the currently available sets will be obsolete anyway

22. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    The point he is making is that Sharp seem to have stumbled and fallen. The GA3/4 was a tremendous TV and pushed Sharp right to the front in the LCD 'race'.

Where are they in the UK now? They have lost their momentum entirely with insufficient production levels and market strategy. The 6/7 may get them going again, but they have lost a lot of ground, sales and reputation.

Interestingly the other market leader, Philips, seem to have sort of shot themselves in the foot by producing a 'new' flagship TV (9830) that is possibly not as good as the previous one! (9986)

Jimmy

23. getdownmonkeyma

getdownmonkeyma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7