have players improved much?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by dexter, Jun 23, 2004.

1. dexter

dexter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Pioneer dv737 and which was £800 when it came out 4-ish years ago. I have since compared it to players that I feel should be in the same class nowadays (Denon 2200 etc.) I still have not been convinced that newer players can better my old Pioneer. Does this mean I need to spend considerably more to improve on it? I have been comparing NTSC progressive signals as the Pioneer does not do PAL progressive. I was looking at going for the Pioneer 757 which seemed a logical upgrade but have been put off by the chroma bug issue! Has the 868 eliminated this issue?

Any thoughts would be great!

2. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    I am not sure about DVD players but items such as amps, CD players and speakers evolve very slowly. My guess is that DVD players may have improved but I suspect you will need to spend a reasonable amount of money to improve on your current player.

As ever, only a demo where you can compare your player to X can answer your question fully

3. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +667
    The pioneer 737 is a very good player, sound andinterlaced component out is still up there with most.
    For a real upgrade I would look at other players than than pioneer if progressive is important to you, as I have yet to see a pioneer that can do progressive well.
    What display are you using?? I would rather track down a second hand Lumagen for around £4-500 and stick that in the chain, that would give you a stunning picture.
    If you want to better the sound then you need to be looking at players like the arcam but again picture the pic would not be as good as your 737 and a scaler.

I sold my 737 for around £125 recently and was gutted after I changed, it didn't realise just how good it was until I didn't have it.

Oh, and your 737 has the chroma bug, so if it doesn't bother you don't worry about it, I think it is blown out of proportion.

4. Wannabe-THX

Wannabe-THX
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have an old Denon DVD-2500, that I still dont have any problems watching. But with my list below, I think I really should be looking for something a little newer.

Fish