Have Panasonic lost the plot??

Discussion in 'Panasonic TVs Forum' started by Faust, Apr 28, 2007.

1. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +761
    Let me say at the outset that I love Panasonic Plasma T.V.'s had two, still got one of them, and I don't want to upset any new Panny owners. However, is it me or do others feel the same, what am I referring to? The present Panasonic range of Plasmas - black, black, and yet more black, in particular that cabinet stand YUK! its like something from MFI or a third party manufacturer, really cheap looking and tacky. I stood in my local electrical store, (first visit for a while) and my jaw just dropped open, talk about an ugly duckling. I've no doubt the PQ and performance will be as good as ever, but aesthetically - sorry Panasonic but you've really fluffed it with this one. :eek:

2. Mrhappy37

Mrhappy37

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Richer sounds were selling the px60 range cheap, but if you wanted the disgusting stand then this was a £150 option from memory. I couldnt believe it. :eek:

3. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +761
    I'm not talking about the PX60 with cabinet stand, I have that and like it, I also had it's predecessor the PE50 with cab stand and loved that too, but this black thing is just the last thing in bad taste.

4. Black Adder

Black Adder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Agreed, the black CABs are absolutely awful. The CAB for the PX700 is silver and looks even worse!

The only way to have these TVs is with a PED and a separate table/stand for it to go on top.

5. pmcgsmurf

pmcgsmurf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    I just don't like that though and for me the Plasma should be secured to something "properly".

Agree that the PX70CAB looks terrible.

I would prefer one of those "floating" stands for a Plasma if I was not using a Cabinet stand such as the PX60CAB.

6. J80FAB

J80FAB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    There is nothing wrong with the black finish of the current PX70/700 Panasonic series. Certainly makes a nice change from the horrendous cheap looking silver stuff that has been churned out continuously.

How this black is presented is another matter. I agree the CAB version is horrible. The design is dreadful and the cabinet that used to accompany the previous range of Panasonics was also very poor style-wise.

The pedestal stand is better but nothing to get really excited about. The fact that only an unadventurous matt-black version is sold in the UK doesn't help matters when a glossy-black version is available in other countries.

Panasonic should have conjured up something more tasteful for the cabinet & pedestal stand for the new PX70/700 series.

7. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +986
    I wouldn't touch any of the Silver range that has been before, looks cheap and nasty to me.
    But wouldn't touch any of the cabs either, really not my sort of design, I would rather spend £300 on a nice cabinet for it to sit on.

8. Black Adder

Black Adder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Yes my (two at the moment) PX70s do not look at their best with the matt black plastic curved PEDs.

It's somewhat ironic (and bloody annoying) that the PX70/PX700 bezel which is gloss black and terribly reflective needs to be MATT, and the PED would look nice in GLOSS.

The Panasonic designers for these TVs this year need shooting after they've been fired from the job!

I'm really annoyed with the over-glossy bezel.

9. Matt306

Matt306

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Which is precisely why I've gone for a commercial panel. Sod "design" and aesthetics. It's all about the bit within the plastic bezel:)

10. lgans316

lgans316
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,798
    Perhaps Matsush*ta thought that adding black cabinet will further make their PQ blacks look better :D
    Black design may be good but it's becomes extremely difficult to maintain once the dust get settled.

11. FunkyT

FunkyT
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  12. chief barker

chief barker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +954
  13. jetinder

jetinder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    If you don't want the new panasonic cab, buy the tv with ped, design and build a simple tv stand your self, it would only cost you 1-2 days of your time to build and around £20-£30 at the most in materials as opposed to £50-£300 out of the shops.

As long as the stand held the tv securely then your ok, unless your ok at DIY use the coffee table type design as opposed to a futuristic design.

Having a wall mounted tv sounds great but some old houses don't have bricks strong enough to take a 50kg 42 inch plasma.

Last few years silver was "The" colour for TVs and VCRs, now black is back, both have their good and bad points.

Overall black is timeless, silver comes and goes, its all down to fashion.

In the 1970s the fashion for men where huge bell bottom flares, platform shoes, wide ties and side burns.

Some guys dressed like "medallian men" (see Saturday night fever as an example).

In the 1980s that fashion was thought of as kak and for a time we all dressed like Bank workers (suit, tie, power dressing etc). but then came the late 80s fashion of permed curly hair or mullet type hair cut + shell suits.

In the 1990s the huge 70s flares came back for a time.

Its all about fashion, tv designers respond to the current "in thing".

Have you seen the "wooden" tvs in QVC made by Swedex, they to me look odd.
    :-
    http://www.qvcuk.com/ukqic/qvcapp.aspx/app.detail/params.item.556207/walk.yah.UKEL-UK21

14. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +761
    It's funny you should mention the wood effect finish as I was going to. Throughout the sixties err that's the 1960's for you young uns, we had teak effect etc. not brilliant, then in the 70's 80's and most of the 90's it was black. Late nineties to now it has been silver, and now we are going back to black. However, as has been said previously, there's black and there's black and they way it's presented is everything, e.g. Samsung seems to manage it with there range of LCD's so why couldn't Panasonic? Agreed also that black is a real dust magnet which doesn't help either but I agree totally with "IsThatTheTime" the designers should first be fired and then shot. :eek:

15. J80FAB

J80FAB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    I don't think either of those 2 Alphason stands quoted above do anything for me :rolleyes:

I think it's fairly difficult to find either a cabinet/pedestal stand that really does compliment the rectangle which has to go on top of it.

I don't like the fact that the norm seems to be to make pedestal stands which are fairly high thus pushing the TV further upwards. If the TV speaker is located on the underside of the set then there's a fair distance from the bottom of the stand to where the screen actually begins which can look silly & be a pain for watching TV based on your viewing distance. Low profile stands look much nicer.

Call me Old Skool but a screen with its speakers located on the side of the screen rather than the bottom is more to my liking. Of course this does pose other issues like making the unit much wider which may cause problems when trying to locate it.

I also like a gloss black finish. Is the glossy black bezel on the PX70 really that distracting ?

16. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,151
    I don't think the PX70 CAB looks that bad in person compared to the pictures. I still prefer the stand that my PE30 sits on, but I wouldn't say the PX70CAB looks tacky.

17. Bumtious

Bumtious
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,650
    Agreed its in the way its presented,
    The PE30 with its stand is supernly build and so was the stand, but for 3K it can be, the latest stands is just MDF but this range is about price. You have a choice. All mine are on peds with stands by Spectral.

The other interesting thing is the PX70 gloss is a dust magnet, neither of the Pio's seem to attract dust.

18. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +986
    I like this stand, and I believe you can move the screen up/down so it doesn't get too high, the top shelf of the unit is quite a bit lower than the cab.

[​IMG]

19. George a L

George a L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +138
    Different strokes for different folks as the saying goes.

20. J80FAB

J80FAB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70

Well I know what I'll be stroking :eek: ........ my new plasma panel when it arrives :rotfl:

Finding just that right stand can be a darn pain. I'm not pleased with the black glass stand we chose - looks nice but not enough room on the shelves :thumbsdow

Though plenty of websites around where you can browse loads of stands for your new plasma telly & hopefully make the right choice :smashin:

21. Mayo4Sam

Mayo4Sam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73

Hehe, I agree, anyone with a bit of DIY know-how should be able to build a decent stand to complement the PX70.

In fact, I am ordering my new plasma shortly and before that I am building a wooden stand to my own specs - colour scheme to match room decor (dark qood veneer finish), shelves and cupboards to suit AV gear and Xbox 360 (future purchase), cable management, low down design to maintain proper viewing height when seated.

Like the man said, each to his own. It's very easy to spend £300+ on a stand and still not be satisfied, but with the DIY option, you have no excuses :D

22. Black Adder

Black Adder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Have a look at the Alphason I use. See sig.

23. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +761
    I know you can build a stand or even buy a bespoke one. However, the point I was trying to make was just how poor the latest Panasonic stand looks in comparison to what has gone before. My PE50 CAB had nice curves, the PX60 did take a bit of getting used to with its ski slope struts, but this latest offering, well what can you say, they have widened the struts I know not why and simply made them straight up and down. Sales guy in Comet said they are trying not to display it on the CAB as it is actually losing them sales which speaks volumes.

24. booyaka

booyaka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,585

got my 42PX70 CAB today and i think the stand looks superb - no issue with it myself and very impressed with it. Looks 10 times better in the flesh than the online pictures of it!

25. FunkyT

FunkyT
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nice one dude!

Did you get a sweet JL price match? :cool:

26. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +761
    Well they say to each his own but personally I wouldn't give the CAB model house room.

27. domtheone

domtheone
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,719
    Consider it a possible blessing in disguise if the new range is not aesthetically pleasing and puts peeps off a potential purchase.

Don't know whether the new range has any Purple Snake issues but given Pannys recent track record, I wouldn't look twice at any of their products again.

28. FunkyT

FunkyT
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are you able to suggest a better 42" plasma under 1K?

29. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +986

But that is silly, that is like not buying an RS4 because the S4 was a pig!

Or not watching The Sixth Sense because Hudson Hawk was crap! :D

The new screens are great.

What are your options?? LCD that cloud, Pioneers that smear and other panels that just look terrible.
    Ther Panasonic gets nearly everything right, it is probably the best all round flat panel that has come out so far and can be had for £800.

30. xit2050

xit2050

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +509
    Didn't you like Hudson Hawk? :(