Have our reviews influenced your purchase decisions?

Have our hardware reviews influenced your purchase decisions?

• Yes

Votes: 171 71.5%
  • No

Votes: 28 11.7%
  • I don't read the hardware reviews

Votes: 40 16.7%

• Total voters

Stuart Wright

AVForums Founder
Staff member
We work hard to produce the best reviews we can. Do you find them helpful when purchasing?

mjcairney

Distinguished Member
Yes, I must say that my decision to buy my Panasonic TX-P42V20B plasma was most certainly partly guided by the AV Forums review of the 50" model.

Cheers,

Martin.

LV426

Administrator
Staff member
The last AV thing I bought has not been reviewed*, so, no.
If it had been, then I may have read the review.

==============
* (or, if it has, I can't find it. Panasonic dmr-bw780)

Bizness

Yes, definitely influences my purchases.

I appreciate the greater visual representation of results, for example with the "Very Poor" to "Reference" gradings you get with your TV reviews.

I'm not aware of any other media, electronic or paper based with that level of detail.

MIghtyG

Despite the fact that allot of the ISF information goes over my head simplification such as the V.Poor - reference stuff helps keep it simple and easy to compare.

Plus since the people comparing are using measurable, quantifiable comparisons it helps compare like for like rather than opinion vs opinion.

Certainly helped me out when I was looking into a new TV :)

Kelg

Standard Member
Yup, had a good dig through before picking out my TV and reciever and speakers, thanks! :)

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
When I was looking for a Blu-ray player I went throguh the AVF reviews and was able to pick the combination of features I wanted so well worth it. :smashin:

A.I.

I'm too busy; don't have the knowledge and don't really have the inclination if I'm totally honest so I'd be lost without the reviews the experts provide.

Impartiality is the key - so keep them coming :smashin:

SyStemDeMoN

I read them and yes they are helpful.

Thanx

jazzert100

Novice Member
I think it gives you a good baseline to make your choices a bit easier.
You know the reviewers are going to always test things to the extreme and no
minute detail escapes them.

J:smashin:

LicensedTaximan

Although my BD player is having a repair under warranty through Richer Sounds, and is taking a ridiculous amount of time to get the part from LG....the whole disc mechanism by the way, :( due to this forums review I went for the BD390. It's a good player but the time taken for LG to supply the part (which apparently is now in) is not good. If one discounts the first week due to the fact that I took it back to RS the week between Xmas and the new year (so i'm being more than fair) it still will have taken six to seven weeks before I get it back. Good player but lousey aftercare by LG and to some extent by the company that RS contract to carry out the warranty repair / replacement part. :mad:

RobM

Distinguished Member
Nope, not at all I'm afraid. I prefer to rely on real-life owners opinions and longer-term experiences, where the supporting equipment is more likely to match my own.

I also find little comfort or relevance in graphs, preferring instead personal opinions from people with the same budgets and expectations.

The reviews you offer - whilst certainly comprehensive - would be more valuable if numerous alternative models at the same price, availability and reputation were tested side-by-side as standard practice. In isolation, graphs, charts and other such things don't offer me anything.

That's the beauty of forums though - that's where the real value is.

Richer Sounds

AVForums Sponsor
Although my BD player is having a repair under warranty through Richer Sounds, and is taking a ridiculous amount of time to get the part from LG....the whole disc mechanism by the way, :( due to this forums review I went for the BD390. It's a good player but the time taken for LG to supply the part (which apparently is now in) is not good. If one discounts the first week due to the fact that I took it back to RS the week between Xmas and the new year (so i'm being more than fair) it still will have taken six to seven weeks before I get it back. Good player but lousey aftercare by LG and to some extent by the company that RS contract to carry out the warranty repair / replacement part. :mad:
Hi,

I was sorry to read of the delay you are currently experiencing with the repair of your LG bluray player.

So that I may look into this matter, and ensure all is resolved to your satisfaction, please would you private message me with your repair and contact details? I will then be able to follow this through with our service team.

In the meantime, my apologies for the obvious inconvenience caused and I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Many thanks,

John Clayton
Operations Director
Richer Sounds

ozzzy189

Distinguished Member
i read with awe the pioneer krp500a review two years or so back, then i had to get one. i sold my 18 month old 508xd to a mate and borrowed the cash off my mrs- (paid back inside 4months), and have never looked back tv wise.

kimmetje

Novice Member
It's always helpful to get a third party's views on it - especially an expert third party's view without the marketing behind it. So yes, when considering a purchase it's good to have these handy if only to confirm one's original choice will not be a disappointment!

Ambient Fish

Yes, I purchased my Panasonic TX-P50G20B on the strength of the review of the TX-P42G20B and the comments of experienced users in the forum.

Letterbomb

Novice Member
Yes!

The reviews seem very thorough and honest.

"User reviews" are often alot of opinion whereas AV's seem more factual allowing a person to make up their own mind.

fraggle

The reviews are good, keep them coming, but I take more interest in the users comments about any problems they've had with "XYZ", I rarely buy anything as soon as it is released.

So it's never as simple as "read a good review, go out and buy something".

But do keep the reviews the way they are, impartial, factual and free of hyperbole and personal opinions! :)

emporer

Banned
Generally the reviews are good, however my last purchase based on the AVF review was one of the worst i've ever made, the Panasonic 50VT20, got one last year after the review around May time, only thing better was a Kuro apparantly and not by much, happily I spent over £2k, turns out it has the worst picture processing i've seen, floating blacks etc, for a supposed flagship set it was just awful and nowhere near as good as the 5 year old set it replaced.

But the reviews in general are good and this one review will not put me off reading them at all.

ProfQ

Novice Member
Yes, I'd have to say that the AVForums reviews influence my purchase decisions.
Pls keep them coming! :smashin:

PoisonJam

Always. Yes it's necessary to try before you buy as reviews are always subjective, but no HiFi dealer stocks everything so it's best to get a short-list first and find out who stocks what. Reviews can really help here.

If something gets a really bad review then I know probably not to waste my time auditioning it.

Also, good review sources get a chance to test lots of items from a similar price range so they have a good reference point. Often user reviews on sites like Amazon are full of "Wow, I upgraded to this 50" plasma from a 14" CRT and it's amazing!" - well of course they're going to think so.

Last edited:

bald1

Novice Member
It's a yes here as well, then after that i go to the forums to look for the owners thread for some more valuable input.

Jedit

Novice Member
I read the reviews, but they have yet to influence my purchases. Much of the time they only say what I've already read elsewhere, albeit in explicit hardcore techpr0n form. Nice to look at, though, and I'm glad they're there.

PoisonJam

Always. Yes it's necessary to try before you buy as reviews are always subjective, but no HiFi dealer stocks everything so it's best to get a short-list first and find out who stocks what. Reviews can really help here.

If something gets a really bad review then I know probably not to waste my time auditioning it.

Also, good review sources get a chance to test lots of items from a similar price range so they have a good reference point. Often user reviews on sites like Amazon are full of "Wow, I upgraded to this 50" plasma from a 14" CRT and it's amazing!" - well of course they're going to think so.
I missed the word our when I read the title.

I was speaking more about magazines when I made the comment above. As someone previously mentioned, I don't think AVF get enough kit through the door to do like-for-like comparisons of kit in the same budget or - the next step up - group tests.

Still, I always read them with interest and the detail they provide means they would hold weight. However, they've never been on what I was in the market for. It always seems to be high-end TVs and projectors and I like my TV upgrades to last a few years.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LCD TVs for Movies, Laser Projectors, RIP Ennio Morricone, AV & Movie news, B+W Matt Damon

Latest News

AVForums Podcast: 12th July 2020
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
QDC Blue Dragon earphones on sale in UK
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
TV licence fee now applies to over 75s from 1st Aug
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
New H.266 video codec promises 50 percent data saving
  • By Andy Bassett