Have MA RX8+center - worth temp use of old speakers for rears?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by trevrush, Dec 7, 2011.

1. trevrush

trevrush
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I recently purchased the RX8 and matching center with an onkyo 809 receiver.

(Thanks to sevenoaks in southampton for putting up with me listening to muse for two hours while switching between the RX6/RX8 at steadily increasing volume :) )

I am staging purchase of the speakers as stereo music performance was important to me (and gloss black important to the wife). I expect around a years wait before being able to complete the system with RX-FX and sub, has anyone used lower quality speakers for the rears? In my 5.1 demo it seemed that the volume from the rears was very low, I am trying to decide whether to use some old sony 'midi' system speakers as rears or whether to just stick with the.. '3.0' setup for now?

thoughts..?

thanks

Trev

2. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,310
    Many people use lesser or older speakers in the rear. The only thing you need to verify is the impedance of the speaker to make sure they are 4 ohms or higher, though 6 ohm or 8 ohms would be preferrred.

Steve/bluewizard

3. trevrush

trevrush
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks!

is there a risk to my new av amp at 4 ohms?

I am not sure what they are and will check, but if there is a concern I am not willing to risk my shiny new amp.. :)

4. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,310
    How well the amp will tolerate 4 ohm speakers is uncertain. I would think it would tolerate 4 ohms speaker JUST in the rear. But all 4 ohms speakers might be questionable.

If we look at the Datasheet for that amp -

Onkyo-UK - TX-NR809 AV Receiver - PDF Datasheet

We see that Dynamic Power is rated at 8 ohms, 4 ohms, and 3 ohms. That implies that the amp is capable of operating at these ohm ratings. However, it would be unwise to add speakers below 4 ohms.

To some extent it hinges on volume, I used some 6 ohms speakers plus some 8 ohms speakers on two different consumer amps (Onkyo, Yamaha). The resulting impedance of those two speaker would be about 3.4 ohms. Both amps work fine at the casual listening levels I usually listen at. However, one night while watching Lord of the Rings, the amp overheated and shut down. But then, the volume control was just a bit over 50%.

In your case, with 4 ohm ONLY in the rear, and 6 ohms or higher on the other amps, likely you will be fine. The amps do have protection circuits, and if there is a problem they will shut down as mine did.

In the end, it is up to you. There are a lot of factors I can't know, but in general, with 4 ohms only in the light duty rear speakers, you should be fine.

But then, that's just my opinion.

Steve/bluewizard