Have MA B2 sitting on floor, sound help

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by RobTi, Dec 30, 2011.

1. RobTi

RobTi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +150
    Hi due to new room layout i have to have my MA B2 bookshel speakers sitting on the floor or at the most2-3" off the floor and either side of the fireplace wall, any ideas as at the moment i have had to turn the treble all the way up and the base 1\2 way down and i still can't get clear highs, so i am assuming that havening them sitting on laminate and next to the chimney is causing this

Robert

2. GW43

GW43

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +162
    You need to get these at least 2 feet off the floor, so the tweeter is roughly at ear height when sitting down.

As they are front ported you can put them close to the back wall, but most speakers benefit from having some space around them.

Try bringing them into the room, and away from side walls if you can.

Atacama make decent stands for such speakers, as do many other manufacturers. Try someone like Superfi, and expect to pay from around £60 for an appropriate pair of stands - I suggest 60cm stands.

As you are placing them on laminate, you may want to experiment with either carpet tiles or granite tiles/chopping boards under the stands, as the spikes that are usually used to isolate the stands from the floor may not be a good mix with laminate flooring!

3. RobTi

RobTi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +150
    Thanks for the reply, as for height can't i angle them up slightly as if i put on stands and move them they will be too far into the room

Robert

Last edited: Dec 30, 2011
  4. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,404
    You really need some form of stand to isolate the speaker from the floor. You can buy small stands so do not need to be too high off the floor. You could then use so blutac at the front to angle the speakers up. If you want to improve the sound you are going to have to get the speakers off the floor.

5. RobTi

RobTi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +150
  6. KUBBY

KUBBY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +664
    The other contributors are thinking along THESE LINES.They are made to support the speakers.

Your solution would perhaps be a little insecure and certainly wouldn't "Connect" the speaker to the floor.

The only other option that comes to mind is the 60's version of a speaker stand,a breeze block!

good luck,

K.

7. GW43

GW43

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +162

May I ask why you want to have the speakers so low?

Your speakers have been designed to work best with the top panel of the speaker in a horizontal position with the tweeters at around ear height.

Proper stands provide stability, isolation or coupling to the floor depending on floor type, and allow them to be positioned easily - and can look good.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2011