Have lost network settings after Win10 update

Discussion in 'Computer Software & Operating Systems' started by lalineaman, Jul 13, 2018.

1. lalineaman

lalineaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi,

Can anyone help me, please? My PC installed an update from Microsoft for Windows10 and I have lost the Network Settings. I have tried everything suggested in various websites, to no avail.

I want to try to resolve the issue without doing a complete wipe and re-install, if possible.

I would appreceiate any suggestions.

Thank you.

2. DavidG1

DavidG1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
  3. lalineaman

lalineaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thank you for your prompt reply!

I have gone through some of those points but I shall try again just in case I have missed something.

4. Abacus

Abacus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +423
    Have you tried re-starting the computer, (Not just shutting down and turning back on) also is there any driver problem showing in device manager relating to the network? (Update the driver if there is)

If the above is OK, set up a new network connection to see if this solves the problem.

Bill

5. lalineaman

lalineaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi Bill,

Thank you for your suggestions!

I have tried just about everything that I have read online, including David's suggestions above and yours, but nothing.

I am sure that I have looked into setting up a new network connection but could not find instructions on how to go about it. I found things like these easier to resolve with prior versions of Windows!

I shall try it and thank you again.

6. Abacus

Abacus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +423
    Type Control Panel into the search box (Or if set up ask Cortana) and select the Desktop App, (It should show up at the top) you will now have the familiar Win 7 interface where you can choose network and sharing, it is then easy to set up a new connection. (I have pinned the Desktop App to the start menu since it was removed from the right click menu)

Hopefully you will now be able to get it sorted.

Bill

7. DavidG1

DavidG1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Your question and replies are lacking in details for us to help much. You say you have lost your network settings. Exactly what have you lost? also how are you connecting to the router wifi? ethernet? if wifi can you see any networks? are there any other computers/phones/tablets/smartTVs in the house? can they see the internet?
    powercycling the router would be the first step, then run the network troubleshooter - and tell us what is says. Also go to device manager to check all the hardware is correctly installed

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
  8. lalineaman

lalineaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi Bill and David.

David, I do realise now that my questions and replies have been lacking in detail, for which I apologise as you have been kindly trying to assist me. The main reason for this is that I was not sure of what I had lost exactly, except for the fact that my PC would not connect to the internet.

All other items on the network - such as Hi-Fi, mobile phones, tablets and another PC - connect without ploblem. I have been out this morning and have come back and deleted all AVG antivirus software and bingo(!), the PC seems to be back online.

I don't know why it stopped connecting as soon as the update completed, as I have had the full AVG package for some time now, but there we go.

Thank you both for your assistance. I really do appreciate it!

9. martian1

martian1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +679
    Pretty sure I had a similar issue I think the update re sets the network security and you lose the network depending how you initially set it up I think I had to re do the settings. I have a server pc and a media pc and had to adjust the security settings on both to get them to play nice again.

10. DavidG1

DavidG1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Glad you got it sorted. Do a clean re-install of AVG and you should be ok (Use the AVG removal tool on the AVG website to remove all traces initially)