1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Have Loewe Tv's got a geometry correction menu facility?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by chrisjoanne, Nov 9, 2003.

1. chrisjoanne

chrisjoanne
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Can any users please inform me if ANY Loewe Tv's have a facility on the service menu to correct any geometry problems?
    One or two people on here may know I'm having small "tilt" problems with my Tosh PF2 at present and have just received my 3rd Tv with exactly the same "feature"!
    My view is "Can I live with knowing my Tv is not 100% perfect?" and I don't think I can. Not when its an £1100 purchase.
    The guy who dropped off my 3rd Tv this morning said ALL Toshiba Tv's with flat screens will have this problem and only the 36" version can be corrected - great!
    Not even an engineer can/will rectify this.
    So............I've tried the Panasonic 32PD30 - too many digital artefacts for my liking (but did have a geometry adjustment menu) , and now the Tosh.
    The only Tv left to try is one from Loewe (or maybe Sony), but I read somewhere that they too suffer from "tilt".
    Infact ALL CRT Tv's suffer from some form of tilt. So guys PLEASE point me in the right direction. I'm getting totally stressed out with all this.
    I think I need a Tv with tilt adjustment as one of the first priorities.

My niggle is that this is a MAJOR common fault with the Tosh and I can't believe that NO magazine reviews of this Tv mention the fault. With the amount of people who suffer from it you would have thought Toshiba would add this tilt adjustment feature to its 32" range instead of hoping people will just put up with it.

Chris

2. lewden

lewden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Aventos enables you to rotate the picture to correct the geometry and is available in the standard picture menu.

I think they're some settings in the service menu that also allows some geometry change, but you'd have to ask Groundy about it, as he seems to know whats he's doing.

I had a geometry problem with my TV, but adjusted it so it was very negligible using the picture rotation in the standard menu.

3. chrisjoanne

chrisjoanne
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Many thanks for your reply mate. Makes things a little interesting.

4. bazzae123

bazzae123
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    chrisjoanne M8.

Do you want some of my Valium?:D By the way, Halo effect on the P+ is driving me made once I noticed it. Bloody reviews said it was Ok on new version.

Bazza:thumbsdow

5. chrisjoanne

chrisjoanne
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm (sort of) glad you have noticed it Bazza as I was thinking it may just be my eyes. I don't think there were may posts on this issue, but the halo is there alright. The only way I got round the problem was by putting the contrast really low - then getting shot of the Tv altogether :clap:
    Finding a Tv which is going to make me a happy man is going to be hard. The geometry carry on with Toshiba Tv's is a complete joke. Why can they offer a geometry adjustment on the 36" model and not the 32" ? They obviously know there is a problem here.
    I know the Panasonic has this feature too on the 32" !!!

Oh bugger, what do I do?
    I MIGHT give this Tv a week and see what happens but the tilt is about 2mm out. This may be nothing to some people but like I say once it has been noticed its bloody hard not to keep looking at the problem.
    If I get cheesed off by the weekend I think Robertsons are going to have to cancel the order as they don't stock Loewe Tv's.
    As "Lewden" says his Aventos has tilt adjustment settings + a very good picture quality + many features.

I've got a horrible feeling thats whats going to happen..............

By the way if you can send your Valium too Toshiba headquarters as they are probably a bit ******ed off with the amount of their Tv's which have gone back in the last 2-3 months ;)

Chris

6. chrisjoanne

chrisjoanne
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Done it - Toshiba Tv going back this week and order cancelled.

Actually the difference is around 3-4 mm - worse than I thought.

I've double checked with Loewe and one or two other stores which sell the Mimo and they all say it has a geometry adjustment menu to fiddle about with.

Infact he's the spec of the 32" and 28" :

http://www.petermartin.co.uk/loewe/mimo/mimo_28_32_spec.htm

Just need to pick the colour and where to get it from now.

Chris

7. lewden

lewden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got JL to price match tvandvideodirect.com and they were happy to. The Aventos came in at £999. (only in black though).

Can I just say that I think 2 mm out on the geometry is well within what I consider is acceptable. I'm not even sure you can see that with the naked eye. I think your mind's playing with you.... :)

8. chrisjoanne

chrisjoanne
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Lewden

My first guess was 2mm. I thought that was alot (!)
    But I have now measured the distance and its closer to 4mm.
    The wife even noticed on the first day so there is a tilt ;)
    I'm ordering a Mimo tomorrow with free delivery + 12 months interest free for £1099 with 2 years warranty.

Cheers
    Chris

9. bazzae123

bazzae123
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok chris M8,
    We may be able to sleep at nights. I've just had enough of the halo effect on the Philips so its going back. I take delivery of a Aventos 3981 tomorrow and I must say reading the various threads again on this set I'm looking forward to it. Lets hope Loewe lives up to expectations.

Bazza

10. kwangomango

kwangomango

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Remember to turn the sharpness down to 1 or 2. Hope you are happy with your sets guys.

11. FIFI

FIFI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi folks, wow this is such a great site, really useful!
    I'm about to return my second 32' PW9527 (it has numerous faults) in exchange for the Loewe Aventos 32' 3981ZW (best buy in which mag).
    Lewden, you mentioned JL price matched tvandvideodirect.com for you.
    I went there today and they said , that they would not match internet sites! I told them that I'd seen a site, where someone had said they did, but they said that it was probably just made up! aghhh
    Please could you tell me what you did! Thanks alot

12. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I believe JL will only match Internet sites where the retailer also has a bricks and mortar store - it's only 'net only stores that they don't price match (from what I've read anyway)

13. lewden

lewden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've sent you a PM re: this. TV and Video Direct do indeed have a high street presence.

14. FIFI

FIFI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your help lewden.
    I contacted JL's undersales team and the lady there wouldn't budge. She would not do the price match because I lived in London and the store was up north. She also said that she's doubts whether the store display item actually has a price tag.

I wrote a letter and a manager replied " we've checked our records and cannot confirm that anyone else has had a price match on this tv from 'Tv and video direct Ltd'.
    Aghhhhhhh:mad:

15. kwangomango

kwangomango

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Unlucky, maybe you just got a bad service agent. JL at Bluewater has been very good to me with price matching in the past. They will send you out a letter which you could take into your nearest branch. Alternatively House of Fraser also offered to pricematch TV Video Direct but they will not throw in the free 5 year warranty. In the end i took my JL pricematch offer into House of Fraser to get my Mimo. I used a bit of Jedi mind trickery(read, did not give the guy long enough to fully read the letter) and ended up not paying the £40 extra for delivery. Got the 5 year warranty also!

edit : It was House of Fraser at Bromley i had discussions with. Make sure you phone midweek so you don't end up with the Saturday staff. Two guys there were very helpful and had previous experience with TV Video Direct. They will phone them up straight away and confirm the price and that the item is in stock.

TV Video Directs Bolton store details can be found here:
    http://www.yell.co.uk/search/DoSear...location=UNITED+KINGDOM&Submit.x=0&Submit.y=0

Good luck.

16. FIFI

FIFI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "Jedi mind trickery" - he,he :D

If you don't mind me asking, are you saying that JL Bluewater actually offered to price match 'tvandvideo direct'?

17. kwangomango

kwangomango

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Yup!

18. GringoHairpiece

GringoHairpiece

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The John Lewis at Bristol just got back to me today to let me know that they would price match with www.TVandvideodirect.com so i'm getting a Mimo 32 for £989 = £35.99 delivery.

You need to make sure you talk to undersales and have the full details of the company, i.e address, telephone, product, price, delivery cost etc. It's also important that the vendor has one in stock.