1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Have I wrecked my DVD rom?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by redbull, Nov 1, 2001.

1. redbull

redbull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Absolute nightmare, I flashed the firmware for my Pioneer DVD106 and it still says region coded, and when I try and play a DVD it just locks out completely! I have to shut it down.

Dows this mean I've ballsed up and I'm going to have to get a new DVD drive?

Please help.

This is NICK BULL by the way, i'm just usion my home logon.

Thanks

Nick

2. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It seems to be working again now, reinstalled the ati player.

Still have a problem with the fact that the drive is still RPC2 even though the Firmware has been upgraded to 1.22!!

Anyone any ideas? Failing that, would 2 drives make it tricky to change regions, ie. 1 set to region 1 and one to region 2?

Could the Pioneer have been made Hqack proof or is there something fundamentally wrong that I'm doing?

Cheers

Nick

3. Ken

Ken

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
  4. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
  5. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's what I though, I was expecting the message 'NoREGION CODING' or whatever when I run that little program to check the drive, but all I seem to get is the message saying no region changes left. It's like I've updated firmware but nothing has happened.

I used the firmware version on that site, the RPC2 one. Could that mean I have updated it to be RPC2 rather than RPC1 and I need the dead link to get the correct version?

I can cope as long as I can play DVD's, just so Roland can set things up, but ideally I need to get it sorted as I have quite a few films worth watching on R1.

Thanks for help so far

Nick

6. Ken

Ken

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
  7. Ken

Ken

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Nick,
    I don't know if you have a region checking program, but if you don't here is a link http://www.inmatrix.com/files/drvinf_download.html
    Run it, and it will give you the region status. It will say No Region Protection if that is the case.
    Good luck,
    Ken

8. redbull

redbull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Guys, I did something really daft and applied the PRC2 upgrade! I have now applied the RPC1 from a diferent site and things are looking rosie!

Powerstrip seems to be working ok too, so all ready for projector tomorow (wednesday!)

Still using ATI player, quite impressed picture wise on my monitor, but will probably upgrade to more user friendly WinDVD.

Once again, thanks for your help.

Cheers

Nick

9. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +548
    Nick
    Could you either post or send me a Personal Message with the link to the RPC1 firmware that you used - I've found a few but it'd be nice to use one that's proven.

Also have you tried the speed control software yet or is that included in the 1.22 firmware?

Cheers
    Alex

10. Jenz

Jenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have used the Pioneer Speed Control and Quiet Control. Both work fine. Note though that these are ONLY for use on Pioneer Drives and then certain models.

Quiet mode does a pretty good job and can be set permanently... ;)

Jenz

11. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I downloaded the Pioneer DVD utility program, the one that has the speed controller and also the interface for updating the firmware from windows rather than MSDOS.

When I try and set drive to Quiet Mode, it always seems to revert back. I think I have found another speed program to try, but it's still annoying.

I think I'll notice the drive once I get quietpc PSU installed. Think I'm goign to need a new CPU fan too.

Hopefully the pc will be in a lage cupboard so should get enough airflow, but be a bit quieter too. I think the Projector will end up being the noisiest bit. I'll just have to live with that! Don't watch too many quiet film anyway!

12. larsan

larsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jenz,

Could you please tell me where to get the Pioneer Speed Control?

Regards,
    David

13. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +548
    Larsan
    The Pioneer Speed Control is actually an official Pioneer utility and is available for download from their site. It comes as part of a zip file with a few other bits and peices (including the windows-based firmware updater)
    Sorry - I can't find the URL
    Alex

14. larsan

larsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ah!

Thanks very much!

Regards,
    David