Have I wasted my money?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Peter Shilton, Jul 2, 2002.

1. Peter Shilton

Peter Shilton
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Toshiba 42WH18P and Tosh SD220E DVD.. After reading all the stuff about connections I have bought a decent component cable Ixos silver. my DVD connects and works great.
    I have also brought a QED sqart to connect the Sky box to the TV.

I have connected the sky box to the TV via AV1 with RGB (have set the digbox to RGB) with the QED cable.
    The sky box is also connected with a "free" scart to the video (toshiba) and then via another "free" scart to AV2.

So AV1 is set perfectly, AV2 is via to crap scart leads and the video.

I cannot tell the difference between the 2 pictures!!! Neither are perfect.

Is all this stuff about decent leads just hype, or is the Sky picture not that good so not worth the QED connection, or am I missing something?

This is not a moan, it is a cry for help. If I have wasted my £40 QED scart my dealer will give me a credit.

2. Xeonic

Xeonic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pete,

Firstly have you made sure "SCART Control" is set on the digibox? If not, you won't get an RGB signal, even though you set it to RGB!

Following on from that, AV1 should be giving you a RGB signal, and AV2 could only give composite via the video. So even with the same type of cable there should be a visible difference between these! The easiest way to tell is to look at small text such as "press red" e.t.c - the RGB connection should be crystal clear compared to the other.

3. Peter Shilton

Peter Shilton
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The scart control was on, but when I was checking and changing it from ON to OFF I could then see the differance. in fact looking at the Sky guide was a usefull way of compatring picture quality, thanks.

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,333
    Peter

Also just to be sure you have your QED cable hooked up properly:

SQART - Fully wired - (AV2105, 2115, 2120, 2130, 2150 & AV21C10) are non directional - in other words simply plug either end to either the source or the display.

SQART - RGB - (AV4110, 4115, 4130 & 4150) are directional - you need to ensure you get the correct end of the cable at the source device.

Best regards

Joe

5. Peter Shilton

Peter Shilton
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    its fully wired so non directional.

I also brough t component lead which I was amazed to find was directional.

6. Bal

Bal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +316
    Directional Component Leads!!!

How can that be - ther wire/s can only get from one end through to the other end - unlike a scart lead where you could have diffrent pins connected at either side

Bal

7. Peter Shilton

Peter Shilton
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    don't ask me. Just look at the arrows on the outer casing. Even I can work out what it means!!! But why????

8. Xeonic

Xeonic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think it's a QED thing :) I have some Qunex interconnects, and they are directional as well. Many a forum thread has droned on about how leads (i.e. no SCART) can be directional or not, I couldn't tell you if it makes a difference - I just connected them from sound source -> sound component :rolleyes:

Of course it is quite possible to make leads say, "more resistive" or have more strands at one end, but I don't know if this is what is done, or whether "directional" just sounds nice!