1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Have I understood this componant stuff properly? Please help.

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Ash007, Oct 27, 2004.

1. Ash007

Ash007
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Could someone just clear something up for me.

My DVD player to output by component into a Denon3805 Receiver (I presume this will be progresive)

Sky to output by Scart RGB into a JS Technology to convert to componant so this can also be connected to the componant-in on the Denon3805 Receiver (I presume this is still interlaced).

The Receiver componant output is then connected to the componant input on a plasma.

Should this work?

If I fllick the Reciver between DVD and Sky won't the inputs flick from progresive to interlaced. If so will Receiver convert so there both progresive, or will it just pass the signal through? If the later, should then my plasma do the work i.e work out if the input is interlaced or progresive (sky or DVD), and then convert the interlced and leave the progresive as is, therefore outputing prog whatever the signal.

Have I understood correctly?

Hope that makes sense.
    Any help is v.much appreciated.

Cheers,

Ash

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    As long as your DVD player is progressive scan then yes!

Yes, the JS-Tech box converts the signal type but does not deinterlace the signal.

Can't see any reason why not.

The receiver can not deinterlace the picture either. It will just do the switching and pass the signal straight through.
    Depends on your plasma as to what it does with the signal. Some plasmas are interlaced only, but most are progressive only and will therefore deinterlace an interlaced signal to be output on the screen as progressive and leave a progressive input unchanged.

Mark.

3. AllanJ

AllanJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Most plasmas will do the de-interlacing for you, and also have a single set of component jacks, and will autoselect the display of progressive input as-is and the de-interlacing of interlaced source material.

Double check your plasma. If there are separate input jacks for interlaced versus progressive you will need to do something more fancy (such as a switch box) with connections.

No problem having progressive from the DVD player and interlaced from a satellite TV box or TIVO come into the same receiver.

Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

4. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,802
    The only issue you will have is that the settings for contrast,colour, sharpness, brightness etc may require to be different for your differing sources. If your plasma uses the same settings for all component inputs then you will likely have to compromise the image qualiity of one of the sources.

Gordon