Have I understood Streamers correctly? + any to add to my short list

Ridcully

Established Member
Reaction score
If I understand streamers correctly this could be the answer to what I want.

I currently have:
plasma screen + av reciever in 1 room
Another room contains 2 pcs. One is for general stuff and the other has about 2 Tb of internal storage with rip CDs, DVDs, and misc music and film downloads (iso's, VOB and divx). The 2 pcs are networked (wired) and there is also a netowrk wire into the room with the screen.

Originally I had been thinking of building a HTPC but streams look to be much cheaper, simpler and possible quieter.

a) Am I correct in my understanding
b) Have a short list of the following to look at.

Linksys 1600
Netgear 8000
Dvico 4100
Popcorn hour

Any others I should consider?

Many thnaks in advance

I too need help with this. I currently have a snazio media player networked to my PC and it does a great job of streaming media to my HDTV. Only trouble is, it doesn't play H264 files.

The forthcoming Dvico TVIX m-6500a looks like an interesting new network player, but what I would prefer is to build an MCE HTPC to go in my living room and be able to stream media (including H264 mkv files) from my main PC to the MCE device. Is this possible?

a) Am I correct in my understanding

Yes, you seem to be on the right track here.

Your short list matches most of the discussion on this board, at least!

It is possible. But I must ask, why would you want to go down that route?

I agree a standalone network player such as the one posted above would probably do a better job at playing H264 files etc, but I need the PVR functions as well. I currently have a Tivo which does an amazing job, but I'm now after better picture quality. MCE will give me this, and if its able to stream media files as well, this will kill two birds with one stone.

What other routes (for a comparable price) are available to me?

I agree a standalone network player such as the one posted above would probably do a better job at playing H264 files etc, but I need the PVR functions as well. I currently have a Tivo which does an amazing job, but I'm now after better picture quality. MCE will give me this, and if its able to stream media files as well, this will kill two birds with one stone.

Getting up to speed on this, hence starting the thread but it looks like if you have a pvr card in any of the network pcs then the streamer can sort out the scheduling (at least that what the Netgear site implies about theirs). Open to correction if I've got this wrong

Don't put too much faith in MCE to sort out your PVR requirements. I just junked HTPC MKVII and the sheer bloody-mindedness of MCE to do its own thing and nothing else was one the primary reasons for my disgust.

Natively, MCE won't stream ISO, AVCHD and even some TS files make it baulk. Then there is the noise they make. Cooling issues too....

Honestly, you'd be better off with a dedicated Freeview PVR and a media streamer like the ones we are discussing on this board than fight a battle with MCE.

Your wife (if you are lucky enough to have one ;) ) might even be able to use the PVR/Streamer combo.

PVR is already available for the PH. One of the advantages of the PH is that user apps can be run and GBPVR have written a patch for the PH. Have a read:-
http://www.networkedmediatank.com/viewtopic.php?t=978
Here's GBPVR homepage:-
http://www.gbpvr.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=17&Itemid=33

There are a load of new streamers coming out which will do a better job than a HTPC for a lot less. Have a look here they start with the PH A100 at about £200 after import taxes etc:-
http://www.mpcclub.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=index&c=25

That would be the Popcorn Hour that's harder to get hold of than the Nintendo Wii?

http://www.divxplayer.nl/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=73&sort=2a&products_id=1513

Having read the reviews, it does look very good, but you'll wait and wait for delivery!

That would be the Popcorn Hour that's harder to get hold of than the Nintendo Wii?

http://www.divxplayer.nl/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=73&sort=2a&products_id=1513

Having read the reviews, it does look very good, but you'll wait and wait for delivery!
If you had registered at the Popcornhour and MPC forums and you could have had as many as you wanted by now!
The quickest way to get one now is to register at Popcornhour. Production has been ramped up and the first 3000 members have either got theirs or have had a pre-order invite. The remaining 3000 are being told end Feb/March. Will give you time to see what the Tvix6500 is like, assuming there isnt a third delay to its release!

Linksys 1600
Netgear 8000
Dvico 4100
Popcorn hour

Any others I should consider?

Many thnaks in advance

Good shortlist, I've been considering the Helios 3000 which doesn't seem to get the same discussion.

Can someone give me a quick 'forum view' on it? I don't think it does HD formats, is this correct?

Cheers,
Tony

The most important thing before considering a player is to check the chipset it's using. Is it one of the last generation Sigma 862x ones, like the Helios,or is it an 863x new generation one so that you have some future proofing?. I assume the same considerations apply to any using other manufacturer's chipsets.

If you have ISOs and VOB, I would take the KiSS 1600 off your list as I'm pretty sure that it doesn't work with them (certainly mine doesn't).

It does work well with DivX etc though.

Good shortlist, I've been considering the Helios 3000 which doesn't seem to get the same discussion.

Can someone give me a quick 'forum view' on it? I don't think it does HD formats, is this correct?

Cheers,
Tony
The Helios X3000 is based on the old EM8620L chipset. It'll play some, and I mean some, of the mp4 codecs but it won't touch QPEL, x.264 or MKV. It's old hat, and doesn't get updated.

Some useful input. Might add the ZyXel to the list in favour of the Kiss. Annoyingly the one I wouldhave most likely gone for is the one that everyone says is terrible (Netgear)

Annoyingly the one I wouldhave most likely gone for is the one that everyone says is terrible (Netgear)

Not everyone. I have a Netgear EVA 8000 and though its far from perfect, I seriously doubt that any of these players are either. With the firmware as-shipped it is very poor, but the current beta firmware, freely available, is a lot better.

Visit the Netgear forums, sign up as a beta tester so you can join the beta forum, and see what you think.

And the fact that it's available at High Street level (about the only main player that is) means that you get people with a range of abilities soaking up the salesman's hype. I'm being kind here.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom