Have I set my Monitor Audio 7.1 rear fx's up correctly.

AndyCalvert

My new speaker packing arrived yesterday :) Its the Monitor Audio Silver 500 av package but with two extra surround speakers. Its now all in place but before I start setting it up properly I want to make sure I have the rear speakers in the correct place and on the correct settings. Strangely there never came with any instructions, both boxes just had generic manuals in for the fronts and sub which was strange.
I did a bit of googling but to be honest I am getting my left and rights mixed up. So I thought I would upload a photo and say what settings they are currently on to see if I have got it right.
I am classing left and right as you are looking at the photo straight on. I wasn't sure whether when people say left/right as it is as if you are looking at the speakers straight on or sat down on the sofa facing the screen.
So:

• The side left speaker I have on : Dipole and speaker printed on the back with left.
  • The rear wall left speaker I have on : Bipole and speaker printed on the back with left.
  • The rear wall right speaker I have on : Bipole and speaker printed on the back with right.
  • The side right speaker I have on : Dipole and speaker printed on the back with right.
Is the correct? Thanks Andrew

ShanePJ

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Monitor Audio suggest:

If part of a 7.1 system with 1 pair of FX’s set the switch to Di-Pole. If using 2 pairs of FX’s for side and rear effects, set them all to Di-Pole mode and swap the left and right handed side FX speakers over, keeping the rear FX speakers handed correctly (matching left and right with the front left and right channels)

silver-fx.jpg

Do remember that if you prefer the sound the way you have it setup, then trust your own ears

Hope that helps :smashin:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AndyCalvert

Thanks for that. Seems to be nearly what I have done except rear wall speakers are set to Bipole. Which is what was mostly recommended after reading posts through Google. Just finished setting it up and tweaking. Watched Hacksaw Ridge. Its unbelievable compared to my old set up. Which I didn't think was bad. Am a happy man.

Upvote 0

Marshall Mike

Thanks for that. Seems to be nearly what I have done except rear wall speakers are set to Bipole. Which is what was mostly recommended after reading posts through Google. Just finished setting it up and tweaking. Watched Hacksaw Ridge. Its unbelievable compared to my old set up. Which I didn't think was bad. Am a happy man.
I would set them all to Dipole and make sure the sides are the wrong way round (left speaker on right wall/right speaker on left wall) as per the diagram posted above. If its not too late, can you raise them up by around two feet? They look to be at ear height and raising them will give better dispersion.

Upvote 0

AndyCalvert

Ail give that ago. Not a hard job. But not tonight just going to sit down to Black Hawk Down now. One of the best sounding films ever in my opinion so going to give it a blast. Ail re-listen after the change and get back. See if I can tell any difference better or worse.
Funny you should mention the rear speaker height. When I bought the house in 2013 and refurbed it to my own tastes :) the rear speakers I had at the time were higher up (as seen in below link) but I moved them down about 6-7 years ago because the sofa is so low and I tend to slouch anyway the sound was firing over me. I find it much better as it is now. Brings back memories them photos ha, everything has been changed at least three times in the last 9 years. Only one thing remaining the same thats the projector screen. I will post some new pictures and equimpent specs up in the correct thread when I have time.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

famasfilms

Banned
Ail give that ago. Not a hard job. But not tonight just going to sit down to Black Hawk Down now. One of the best sounding films ever in my opinion so going to give it a blast. Ail re-listen after the change and get back. See if I can tell any difference better or worse.
Funny you should mention the rear speaker height. When I bought the house in 2013 and refurbed it to my own tastes :) the rear speakers I had at the time were higher up (as seen in below link) but I moved them down about 6-7 years ago because the sofa is so low and I tend to slouch anyway the sound was firing over me. I find it much better as it is now. Brings back memories them photos ha, everything has been changed at least three times in the last 9 years. Only one thing remaining the same thats the projector screen. I will post some new pictures and equimpent specs up in the correct thread when I have time.

I've just put BHD on based on this post!

Been a while since I've seen it, ten minutes in and I'm still being amazed by the cast. So many pre-fame actors. Jaime Lannister was the biggest surprise lol

Edit: Tom Hardy just showed up lol

Edit edit: very impressed with the sound track!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

rccarguy2

Distinguished Member
Be aware with dipole one side is out of phase so there is phase cancellation going on. You may not want this, imo for modern tracks bipole work better. I own both bipole and dipole, I've no longer use the NHT dipoles as they lacked some of the directional sound of the definitive technology bipoles.

But if you do use bipole and dipole I would recommend dipole on the sides bipole on the back

Upvote 0

AndyCalvert

Thanks for the different opinions. Very helpful, giving me focus on different options. Yes BHD was brilliant. Picture is awful even on 4K disc but the sound more than makes up for it. Not as sharp as newer productions but it still sounds perfect. Involves you into the battle like no other film.

Upvote 0

AndyCalvert

Monitor Audio suggest:

If part of a 7.1 system with 1 pair of FX’s set the switch to Di-Pole. If using 2 pairs of FX’s for side and rear effects, set them all to Di-Pole mode and swap the left and right handed side FX speakers over, keeping the rear FX speakers handed correctly (matching left and right with the front left and right channels)

View attachment 1649002

Do remember that if you prefer the sound the way you have it setup, then trust your own ears

Hope that helps :smashin:
Funnily enough about trusting your own ears! I set them to the above diagram and wasn't impressed. Didn't seem to be doing as much. I used scene 10 from Hacksaw Ridge as a lot in going on and then put them back to how I had them and it was much better. Could be a lucky first guess or more tinkering could be needed. The rear ones set to bipole seemed to be more exciting with flying bullets etc. Might just set them all to there correct positions and all on bipole and get back again. They replaced some very old but acceptable mission 77ds bipoles so its just mabies what my ears have got use to.

Upvote 0

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom