• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Have i or not got Fibre?

$lim$hady

Established Member
Typing my postcode on Virgin media states no fiber in my area.
Typing my Postcode on BT Infinity states i have fiber..... :confused:

Who can i believe?

Sniper Ash6

Distinguished Member
They're different products and don't share networks.

Sniper Ash6

Distinguished Member
BT is fibre to the green cabinet in the street.
Cable is fibre to the house.
BT's is FTTC - Fibre to the Cabinet - fibre from exchange to the green cabinet, then copper from the green cab. to the premises
VM use FTTN - Fibre to the Node - fibre from exchange to a street cabinet, then coax from the street cabinet to the premises

$lim$hady

Established Member
BT's is FTTC - Fibre to the Cabinet - fibre from exchange to the green cabinet, then copper from the green cab. to the premises
VM use FTTN - Fibre to the Node - fibre from exchange to a street cabinet, then coax from the street cabinet to the premises

Ah, i see, which one is better, faster? or same thing?

Sniper Ash6

Distinguished Member
Ah, i see, which one is better, faster? or same thing?
The max via BT Infinity at the moment is 40Mb down, 10Mb up. VM's are starting to roll out 100Mb down, I'm not sure of the associated UL speed.

As VM haven't cabled your area they're not really an option but it may be worth emailing them to see if they have plans to.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom