1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Have I missed the boat with WOW?

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by Hawklord, Apr 22, 2005.

1. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +260
    I've been looking for an alternative to playing CS:S online the last couple of weeks and WOW has caught my eye. The reviews and community comments seems to portray this title in a good light and I could see myself enjoying this game for a few months at least until the next instalment of the elder scrolls appears (oblivion iirc). My only apprehension is that the game has been out a while now and I'll be a late starter. I have never played an rpg online before too which is also new ground for me and I don't really know what to expect. I love free form games like morrowind and rpg's similar to Baldurs gate and neverwinter series of games so would WOW be a suitable diversion from CS:S (cs is taking up too much of my time and I need something else to keep me occupied).
    Since I'd be starting the game later than most people will I be at a disadvantage as everyone else will be a level 40+ to my lowly wimpy character and won't all of the good artifacts/campaigns be consumed? Not entirely sure how it all work tbh.
    Some people have also commented on the laggyness of the game too and the fact that it can be unplayable at times. I've read horror stories of people losing their characters and accounts too which doesn't sound very appealing either if you have invested a lot of time advancing your character.
    I'm still hovering over the purchase button and just need a little nudge to go ahead and buy if everyone thinks it's a worthwhile game.

Any coments or suggestions for a noob in the land off MMORPG's

2. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +731
    i thnk there is a thread about wow in the pc gaming section. probaly best reading in there.

3. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +260
    I've decided to give this game a wide birth. I have been reading lots recently about updates that have ruined the game and laggs off 700+. Not my idea of fun so i'll wait for something else to come along before I try a mmorpg:(

4. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +731
    good idea. mmorpg are not my cup of tea but i hope you find one

5. dennis

dennis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    there are new players joining all the time so you wont be the only beginner,igot bored with my original mage lvl 41 so i re started as a palladin a couple of weeks ago,im lvl 36 allready,great fun,have a go. :smashin:

6. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,230
    I love the game and being behind is no problem you get quest to do and you just go out and do them. It is not like you are taking other people on, not unless you duel and that’s a waste of time.
    Yes the game is a pain in the butt, 4 cd’s and a hour update down load and at times there is lag but the game is so great I over look that.
    Also you can catch up to some other players as it is on a scale. i.e. say from level 1 to 2 is 200 points, the next level will be 400 and also you have to take on harder creatures to get the same points. A bit like levelling up in Diablo easy at the start harder later.

If you like Diablo and Daggerfall try it.

I started tohe other week and never felt out of it. I created 3 characters to try out and all at different levels now but get help and help all the time. You can solo or team up and half the points. I teamed up this aft for 2 hours with a stranger and we had a great time helping each other out. I was level 18 and she was 15 and was hoping to get to 16 today dut we both went of to watch Enterprise (well I did anyway).

I would get it soon if you are thinking of getting it though as they release it in waves so can be sold out for over a month a time (well it was last time).
    If you do get it let us know and I will tell you what realm I’m playing on, I may be able to mail you some stuff from time to time.

7. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,230
    I went on last night for half an hour and met up with the same person and ended up playing for nearly 3 hours and came of just before midnight, it is that addictive

8. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,850
    Generally if you're new to MMORPG's then give it a go! Otherwise there's not much new in it and I personally (as it seems quite a few others have) became bored of it after a couple of weeks and about 25 character levels.