Have I made the wrong choice

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Colin 28, Jan 18, 2005.

1. Colin 28

Colin 28
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Would welcome any advice. After reading a lot of info on forums, I,ve decided to buy Panasonic E85 but now wonder if the Tosh RDXS32 would have been better option.
    I have Panasonic DVD-S27 and Sony DAV S550 that I will want to playback recordings on, but I am concerned that Sony will not play discs recorded on Panny or at best will only play DVD R recordings, which won't help the cause in ideally wanting to get rid of video recorders.

Please help.

2. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    Well, if you want to be able to play a re-writable (-RW) DVD on another set top player, then yes the Tosh would do this. I debated between these models, and went for the Tosh primarly for that reason.

Now if you don't do this very often, you can use -R, and throw them away after you have watched them. Not so environment friendly, but you can get cheap -Rs.

Or, you can swap the E85 for a Tosh... or replace your other players with one which will play RAM discs....

Mark

3. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,278
    The Panasonic's DVD-RAM discs will not play on the Sony (but will on the S27). DVD-Rs recorded on the Panny will play on both units. If you go for the Toshiba RDXS32 then the DVD-RW media will probably play on both units.

4. Colin 28

Colin 28
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for quick reply. Think I'll probably try and return panny and buy tosh.

5. Colin 28

Colin 28
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your help. If I hooked up panny S27 and played it through the Sony DAV S550 do you know if I'd lose quality of sound? Mind you I don't have another spare scart on Sony tv.

6. TobyW

TobyW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Beware! As I've indicated in another thread, I have just returned my Tosh 32 and got a Panny 85 instead.

Why? The Tosh's extra features don't mean a thing if the compression quality is relatively poor and it has trouble reading DVD-R's.

7. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    TobyW,

Sorry the XS32 did not meet your needs. And happy that the Panny 85 does; it is a fine machine.

But I wouldn’t agree in general that the XS32 has “poor compression”. Your specific issue is interesting. It appears that by design, the XS32 can record up to 3 hours at full resolution (rate of 3.0) if recording to RAM (or HDD). But if recording (or dubbing) to DVD-R/RW, it drops to half resolution at 3.8 instead (around 2:20).

While I haven’t seen this clearly documented, I believe this to be true and backed up by the statements in the manual which say that if recording to DVD-R/RW at rate between 3.0 and 3.8, the quality will be less.

From this I conclude that for the XS32:

- At a rate of 4.0 or above, it is always full resolution (approx 2 hours 20)
    - At a late of less than 3.0, it is always half resolution (> 3 hours)
    - At 3.0 to 3.8 inclusive, it uses full resolution to RAM/HDD, and half to DVD-R/RW

Your issue seemed to be you recorded 3 hours to HDD and were happy with the quality, but when you recorded to DVD-R you saw the quality drop. This would fit with my theory above.

I don’t know why the Toshiba does this… it talks about “DVD video compatible mode”, as if it thinks that to be compatible it has to drop the rate at 3.8… not sure why.

I would not conclude from this however that the Toshiba does a poor job of compression.

And it is true that people have reported trouble with some media… I haven’t had ANY problems with media (using Verbatim –R and –RW), I can play all the discs on my 2 other DVD players. (And for me, the –RW is useful, as my other players are not RAM compatible, and I use –RWs for shows my wife wants to watch and wipe on another player.)

In short – yes, be aware of these limitations, and if having 3 hours on a DVD-R at full resolution is important then the XS32 is not for you. But don’t dismiss the XS32 as a poor quality machine.

Mark

8. TOSHMANIAC

TOSHMANIAC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    beware colin,theres a thread about the tosh,several people have experienced problems with it,but ive yet to see a bad report at all about the panny