Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Have I made the correct choice for cables?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Nick_T, Nov 26, 2004.

1. Nick_T

Nick_T
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am building a system comprising of:

Panasonic TH-42PW7B Plasma Screen (with Component video BNC terminal board) - http://www.av-sales.co.uk/plasma/html/panasonic_th-42pw7b_plasma.html
    Canton Movie CD 2.22 speakers - (http://www.av-sales.co.uk/html/canton_222.html)
    Panasonic DMR-E55EBS DVD Recorder (used as DVD player) - (http://www.av-sales.co.uk/html/panasonic_dmr-e55ebs.html)

and as another source I have SKY+.

I have put together a list of cables to connect all of this equipment together and would appreciate someones opinion on my choice. Is it a good choice? Have I gone over the top with some of the cables?

Here is my current list:

• QED AV21 Scart to Scart Fully Wired (Sky+ -> DVDR) 1m @ £50
    • QED QUNEX Component P-CV2 (component video connection from DVDR to Plasma) 1m @ £80
    • QED QUNEX P-SW sub-woofer cable 6m @ £40
    • QED Silver Anniversary Speaker cable (for L+R and centre speakers) @ £5.50 per metre
    • QED Micro Speaker Cable (rear L+R) @ £1.75 per metre

They can all be found here: http://www.av-sales.co.uk/html/qed.html

If anyone can recommend a better choice then please let me know. I'm mainly worried that I am spending a lot on cables where I don't need to be :confused:

Cheers!

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    I would suggest that you have a look at the component cables that Mark Grant supplies in the Cable Powerbuy forum as they are absolute top notch quality but will save you £30 over the QED.

I am not sure whether you need spend that much on a scart cable for connecting the Sky box to the DVD Recorder as whilst it is always a good idea to buy the best connectors that you can afford for DVD replay I am not convinced that the same applies to satellite broadcasting as the source picture isn't as good to start with.

The speaker cable should be fine, but I would say that as I also use Silver Anniversary

3. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,037
    Also, what about Mark Grant's subwoofer cable at £45 for 6m.

I wouldn't spend more than £20-£25 on a scart cable.

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    Mark's subwoofer cable like his other cables is excellent quality at a very good price. I also wouldn't spend more than £25 on a scart cable but I only have a 32" TV. Perhaps the extra would be more worthwhile on a plasma but somehow I doubt it when using a Sky box as a source.

5. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    Not to go on about it too much, but have you considered alternatives to the QED speaker cable? specifically either twin and earth mains cable (at about 20p/metre) or cat5 cable made up as described here

Both of these methods would be a LOT cheaper, the mains would be indistinguishable from the QED, the cat5 should be an improvement.