1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Have I made a mistake - Panny HS2??

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Stupot43, Nov 6, 2003.

1. Stupot43

Stupot43

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    I Have just purchased a Panny HS2 HDD/DVD recorder. (actually not delivered it yet - expecting it tomorrow) To my distress I have just read on the forums about the problems that these units have been experiencing ie: the tearing factor when watching RGB thru the HS2 from a Telewest digi box (Pace) etc etc.
    I thought I had read up well on the unit but obviously had missed something. Why wasn`t it pointed out in any of the tests that the mags do? I now have to decide whether to send the unit back without epening it and choose something else or whether to try the unit first to see if it suffers.
    Does anyone know if the problems have been overcome? If they have I would appreciate some info.
    The whole point of these units is to time shift with quality RGB pictures and to archive if needed - not to spend over £500 to be faced with problems like the ones I have read about.

:( :( :( :(

Help Please

Stuart

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    Because the problems have only been suffered by a minority. There IS a live lip sync issue but that does not transfer onto recordings which is, after all, what the Panny was designed for.

I would try the machine first - if your not happy pay the £200 more for the E100 or opt for a non-RGB machine.

3. Stupot43

Stupot43

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Thanks Rasczak

Unfortunately the shop that I have ordered it from might charge a 20% restock if I send it back without it being faulty ie: if I purchased in error. The problem being no one seems to able to determine whether it is a design/manufacturing fault with these machines or whether the problem lies with the Telewset STB. So by not opening the box, I was hoping that the shop would look upon it favourably and not charge the restocking fee.
    The other problem is that the site/shop does not list the E100 - yet - so it would be difficult to do a straight swap (paying the extra dosh of course), which I would probably be willing to do, if I knew the machine would be OK.
    I can`t see the point in buying a machine that cannot handle and record the RGB input - with these type of recorders the point is quality and if you have to record with composite you may as well stick with the VCR

Stuart

4. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have recorded from Sky and DVD onto the HS2 via RGB with no problems.So it seems it may be a Telewest fault.Why not take the opportunity to get Sky+ then you can enjoy 5.1 sound aswell

5. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Can you put your hand on heart and recommend Sky+ to anyone with regard to hardware reliability? I have certainly removed it from my shopping list in the short to medium term, given the amount of problems the pace boxes have suffered. One only has to trawl these forums to know that. One unofficial source quoted 20% failure of some kind within 12 months, which is pretty dire by anyones standards. I will stick with the Panny DVDR for the time being thank you very much.

6. Stupot43

Stupot43

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Thanks Phelings, but I don`t want sky+. I have the package from Telewest which includes broadband, telephone & digital tv and I get a reduced price.
    Hopefully the shop will refund my money without to much problem and without the restocking fee (which I believe is extortionate - 20% of £549 = £109.80) I could argue that the Panny "is not fit for the purpose" . But I don`t really want to get heavy with the shop. I`ll have to see what they say today when I phone them!

Stuart

7. Stupot43

Stupot43

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    I have just spoken to the shop ie Digital-Point and after explaining to them what the problems were they have said that I can return the HS2 back to them for a full refund.
    Panic over.

:) :) :) :)

But it still leaves me now with which recorder to go for or to wait until all the bugs have been ironed out.

Does anyone know if the new unit by Panasonic E100 has the same problems as the HS2?

Stuart

8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    I dont understand why you sent the panny back before it arived!!!there are at least 3 different versions of box used by cable companies!!! what is more imprtant to you DVD recoder or HD recorder??

9. Stupot43

Stupot43

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Thanks hornydragon,

I didn`t realise that Telewest uses three different boxes.(I am using the Pace) Anyway the Panny is now on the way back and to be honest I couldn`t be bothered with all the hassle of phoning the cable co. and trying to get them to come and change the box etc. etc. until I had one that was ok with the Panny HS2. At that stage the shop might have turned round and refused the full refund. I didn`t even open the box when the HS2 arrived.

As far as the player is concerned I want to do some editing of VHS home & HI-8 recordings and archive them onto dvd format,so the HDD is important as well as the dvd recording(replace my s-vhs recorder) I just thought that it would be more straightforward doing it with a unit with everything built in? I don`t need the unit to be multiregion as I have a standalone player for that.
    I am open to other suggestions however.

Stuart

10. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    Neither do I. If you get it, and it's faulty, you are entitled by law to a full, free refund/replacement. The fact is a large number of HS2 users have the machine and no problems - it seems strange to cancel delivery due to 3 or 4 users who have had problems and only 1 of which has opted to get rid of the HS2!?! Still each to their own.

Well apart from the Panasonic E100 there are no other options unless you want an S-Video in machine. If you are happy with that then there are some good choices - most notably the Pioneer 5100.

11. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    on the under side of the box is a model no. there are 1000 series boxes and 2000 series boxes as well as 4000 (ntl) and different boxes within series with different software! there are also different reasons why the fault would occur.

12. Stupot43

Stupot43

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    OK. So why have other users on the forum who have this machine and tried it with other digi boxes, apart from the Telewest, have had no problems with it. But as soon as they hook it up to the Telewest box the "fault" re-occurs. Everything points to the digi box being at fault and not the HS2. In which case the shop has every right to refuse a refund because fundementally the fault really lies with the digi box and not the HS2. By returning the HS2 back to the shop without opening the box, they are then obliged ,by law ie "Distance Selling Regulations" to refund my money within thirty days of the cancellation of the order as long as that cancellation was done within 7 days of delivery of the goods. That is why I returned the unit.
    With the greatest respect to everyone it is not you who is running the risk of owning a unit that does not function correctly with other equipment after spending £549 OR returning the unit after being used and being charged 20% (£110) restocking fee because basically the unit was not faulty. At least this way, I still have the money to spend when and if ever there is a unit that will work with the RGB output of the Telewest digibox. This brings up the question

"Is this why none of the other big manufactureres have not brought out a HDD/DVD recorder".

They realise that ther is this problem. Toshiba and Pioneer boxes are both s-vid/composite in but RGB out, Sony does not have a HDD/DVD recorder and as far as I know neither do Philips.
    Does anyone know different.

13. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Ahem why not check with users who have this fault, and find out exactly which model box is causing the problem! JVC have HDD machines out or on way tosh have RGB models to come! Perhaps you should contact your Telewest provider (its a franchise dont you know and see if they can supply a different model box)
    And check PVR.co.uk

14. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
  15. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Faust,I would recommend Sky+ without hesitation.The forums are showing up some odd glitches here and there,and it does seem to be V2 that is having problems.I have had mine for almost 2 years and apart from the odd over run (not Sky's fault) I have had no problem,although 5.1 drop out seems to be a regular problem.Luckily most things are dealt with by OTA updates.It may not have the flexibility with editing of the HS2,but its simplicity of use is streets ahead of anything else

16. Stupot43

Stupot43

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    OK Hornydragon,

I have checked the JVC but it still does not specify that it has RGB input. As I have said before on this thread if you have to record composite you may as well stick to vhs. After all, one of the main points in having a HDD/DVD recorder is the ability to record a quality signal ie RGB.

Concerning Phelings point about sky+, yes I know its a better system and you can get 5.1 sound but not on all the channels,as far as I can gather and the other point that I forgot to mention is that I am unable to have any other aerials/dishes on the outside of the property other than "conventional" tv receiving aerial. So my hands were tied in that respect in that it was Telewest or nothing but analogue tv. So please don`t suggest that I have sky because it is a non-starter.

Thanks for that web address,horny, I will look at that with some interest. I Take on board your comments about finding out about which boxes have the problem and I might open another thread on that matter. My box is the 1000.

17. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    IIRC there have always been isuues with Early Cable Digiboxes and RGB going back a couple of years when i first had ntl Digital!!!
    The Panny are the best on the market.

18. Stupot43

Stupot43

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    OK. So how do I find out what boxes that Telewest use. Is it as simple as phoning them up and asking the techy people?

19. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    yeah or post here and ask members with telewest to post their model no's especially asking those who use a DVD recorder and and those who have issues with the HS2

20. Stupot43

Stupot43

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Ok. This thread seems to have run its time, so I am going to post a new thread to find out who have HS2 machines and have Telewest digi boxes and don`t experience any problems.

Thanks to all those who have taken part in this thread and have helped me on this subject.

:hiya:

21. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Yes but the E30 performs flawlessly every time, when I went to school 20% was 20 in every 100. I don't want faults of any kind. Scale that up to the 65000 boxes sold when that figure was mentioned and that's 13000 people who have had faults of some kind. I don't mind setting the timer on the Panny and using autoview on the EPG. Alright I don't get two tuners, so what! with time shifted programmes you don't miss much anyway. I might go for Sky+ one day, but only when it performs like the Panasonic or if Panasonic were licensed to make them.

22. Party Animal

Party Animal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I might go for Sky+ one day, but only when it performs like the Panasonic or if Panasonic were licensed to make them.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope they perform better than the 3 Panasonic Digital camcorders I have.
    because all 3 lasted only a matter of months over the 12 months warranty before expiring and faults galore

so dont give me all that baloney about how good panasonic are...
    As to Sky + its the best bit of kit currently available... not one dvd recorder sold can record Dolby Digital 5.1 so for £200 notes its a complete no brainer and it works flawlessly - the picture quality is exactly the same as broadcasted stuff

23. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Faust,the main thing you are missing out on is storage of recordings at broadcast quality.
    There are lots of small glitches occasionally,check out Digital Spy for a good selection.However,despite the complaints,I have never ever seen anybody who would give Sky+ back.I have said it many times and its still true-the only people who really slag off Sky+ are those who have never used it.Have it for 2 weeks,your Panny would gather dust pretty quick

24. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Stupot43. Comet on line are selling the H2 for £600 free delivery. Ok it £50 more than your other one but cheaper than paying 25% restocking fee. The comet refund policy of opened products is shown below. You would have 7 days to test and se if the H2 works ok with your cable set up.

The re-stocking fee policy of most internet dealers is one reason that I will probably never buy from them unless such greed driven policy is amended.

COMET say........

Opened products
    If you bought your product online or by telephone, and are not completely satisfied with your purchase you can return it to us for a full refund as long as you tell us that you want to return it within seven days of the product being delivered. The product may be returned to any of the Comet stores throughout the country for a full refund. This does not apply to products purchased from a Comet store.

25. Stupot43

Stupot43

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Thanks Malcom, that`s very useful.
    I am usually very careful whom I buy from on the internet, but on this occasion I slipped up. Just goes to show it pays to read the smallprint before you click on that button, It won`t happen again I assure you.

26. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Perhaps it's just me and the way I look after things that is the key e.g. Sony t.v. recently replaced, still working 18 years approx 36000 hrs. Sony portable 22 years old still working. Toshiba Microwave 26 years old bulb recently went, (things just don't last), VCR Panasonic 14 years same heads still working, Sony VCR 5 years heavy use same heads still working, Technics seperates audio 17 years no faults. I could go on, but I think I've made my point. TLC seems to be the answer.

27. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    As you know phelings I am a regular on Digital Spy as well as this forum. It is the postings on DS that alarm me the most. A lot of problems mentioned by Sky+ owners are far more than glitches. The pace boxes appear to consume hard drives like wine gums, whatever the reason, be it venting or fan problems etc. this is not good. See my other post to party animal this thread re: longevity of products - that is the sort of reliability I demand from my equipment. When I see Sky+ boxes well into there fifth year without fault, then I might, but only might, put my toe in the water. I think until then I will keep faith with Panasonic.

28. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    After the demise of Betamax and I had to buy VHS. I have always purchased Panasonic VCR's. Each one has lasted years and years. with quite heavy usage. With no maintenance problems what so ever.

My Betamax machines were of course "Sony" Superior format that it was there is no doubt. But I can't say the same about the reliability. The first ever Betamax machine clapped out after about 3 years. I then got myself the Sony portable VCR and a video Camera (Not camcorder). The portable developed big time problems one month out of warranty. £125 bill to put it right. Still have it and it still works. Which is more I can say for the Betamax recordings of old which most are now unplayable. Old VHS tapes have survived with little problem other than normal wear and tear.

At a later date I also purchased a Sony DVD8 recorder deck. What a nightmare. Had four machines each developed a different fault literaly overnight. After the fourth attempt i gave up and had a refund. I have a cheapo Sony tuner/Amp. Lasted years and still have it no problems.

My first reel to reel tape recorder was a Philips and it was just great for it's day and reliable.I suppose at the end of the day it's the luck of the daw.

29. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Faust-I think there could be a problem with new Sky+ boxes,there does not seem to be problems on early Pace ones like mine.It must be a V2 problem.