Have i made a mistake buying HDMI cables?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by 1k memory, Jan 2, 2012.

1. 1k memory

1k memory
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I've just brought a 1m, 2m and thinking of getting a 10m HDMI cable from audio visual online, but having read the posts here i think ive made a mistake!

I paid about £30 each for the 1m and 2m (QED Perfomance 1.4) thinking that they will work brilliantly with my new Onkyo 609 + D8000 TV.

So after reading your posts would i have been better off buying the following from tvcables.co.uk and saving a fortune and not loose out on any pic quality or features as long as i get the High speed cables?
    I will need the cables to pass 3D and use ARC.

1m

2m

If this is true then i will be able to afford the 10m for future use in the ceiling void.
    For the 10m cables i did notice 1 for £12 and the others for around £40. Will the £12 one be ok? Will be used for a projector in the future, but want to put the cable in the ceiling ready until i can afford a projector while im doing the building work.

2. andy1249

andy1249
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,383
    Yes you paid too much , there are no picture and sound differences from HDMI cables , thats impossible , and at 1 or 2 meters any HDMI cable will do.

The £12 10 meter cable will most likely be fine.

3. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,228
    You could definitely have saved a fair bit on the short HDMI cables - any High Speed cable will cover you for 3D and ARC.

Installed HDMI cables have a habit of getting damaged - a careless drill or saw during the build/renovation process, rough handling of the connector or simply a connector to cable interface failure.

If you can run your cable in a conduit that protects it against damage thats always a good option and always run a spare cable, a tested draw wire and or a couple of lengths of CAT6 as your long term backup.

Joe

4. 1k memory

1k memory
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Guys,

Ordered them the other day so hopefully can cancel them before shipping, if not the return cost of posting them will be nothing compared to the saving.

I have Cat5 running to my Amp/Tv/HTPC but don't think i would need one run in the ceiling as well as a HDMI as it will be just for the Projector if i ever have one in the future, but thanks for the advice ref putting the lead in conduit, never really thought about that!

5. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,228
    Keep in mind many projectors will have an RJ45 socket to enable Firmware updates over your wired Network – you will also likely see a move to integrated web browsing/media playback.

Joe