Have I made a boo-boo?

JayCee

Distinguished Member
Was in between jobs today so dropped in to my local Richer Sounds and took the plunge and ordered a Yamaha RXV363 AV Receiver after having a look at it on the shelf and a Yamaha YSTFSW100 subwoofer (the glossy piano black version).
I have a Panasonic TH-PX80B Plasma Tv, SkyHD and a PS3...as detailed in this thread and wanted a 5.1 system just to be used initially in a 2.1 configuration with a pair of Tannoy HTS200 Tallboy spkrs for front R/L and to be used mainly for sound from the SkyHD, TV (using its Audio Phono out) and DVD/CD Playback from the PS3.
Just reading over the specs on the RS site here I now notice that under...

"Dolby Digital Plus/dolby Truehd" it states "no/no"

Does this mean it won't decode Blu-ray discs played on my PS3?
Also I notice on some websites under...

"Sound Supported Dolby Digital (5.1), DTS (5.1)," it states...

"Stereo (No Surround)"

Can anyone tell me what this latter part means?

The receiver won't be in stock for another 10 days so I can probably cancel and get something a bit more future-proof if needed.
Does the Yamaha RXV363 have a good reputation?...I can't find any reviews of it on the web so far...is it a bit "old-hat" now and that is why it's going so cheap at most suppliers?
Any replies appreciated, thanks.

stevelup

Distinguished Member
Hi

That amp is not really suitable as it does not process any audio from the HDMI ports - it simply passes it through to the monitor.

Steve

gednshaz

Standard Member
i myself bought a receiver today the onkyo txsr506{i think} was told that i would need a separate input for the audio other than hdmi.think for the all through hdmi you need a receiver with hdmi 1.3 capability:hiya:

stevelup

Distinguished Member
The 576 is the entry level Onkyo that can handle HDMI audio. You are correct - the 505 and 506 cannot.

Steve

Hi

That amp is not really suitable as it does not process any audio from the HDMI ports - it simply passes it through to the monitor.

Steve

I just wanted to add that I am in that situation now with a Sony STR-DA1200ES, if I were buying today I would buy a Receiver that could process audio from HDMI as well as the latest HD Dolby.

As I am not, I will be forced to buy the Sony 550 Blu-Ray player rather than the cheaper Sony 350.

Cancel the order is my advice.

JayCee

Distinguished Member

But if I'm content with feeding my SkyHD and PS3 directly by HDMI to my Tv and both by optical to the amp what am I missing out on?

But if I'm content with feeding my SkyHD and PS3 directly by HDMI to my Tv and both by optical to the amp what am I missing out on?

In my case HD Dolby audio decoding which is here to stay. If you intend adding Blu-Ray in the future (which I do) its the way to go.

JayCee

Distinguished Member
So the Sony STRDG820 would do this and at £60 more would be a much better buy and give me better results?

So the Sony STRDG820 would do this and at £60 more would be a much better buy and give me better results?

If it does HD audio YES, its futureproofing & its money well spent.

blaster master

Standard Member
If you plan to stay with the PS3 as your blueray player then this amp will do the exact same job as the latest amps available - the sound has already been decoded at the source - the PS3.
Your PS3 will decode ALL the latest audio formats to uncompressed format and your amp will acceot these via hdmi. You will not get anything more from a more expensive amp in terms of functionality, although sound would improve, but that is a case for every purchase and the more expensive one above.

If you plan to use a dedicated blueray with audio transmission in compressed format, then you need hdmi 1.3a to get the latest audio formats.

Right now you don;t need them and will pay for funstions you do not need.

I use a PS3 and therefore don't need 1.3a...1.2a is the same once audio is uncompressed.

Save the money - the PS3 is great and I assume will always upgrade to the latest audio formats so you will get them with this amp..using the PS3

stevelup

Distinguished Member
Hi

You are mistaken.

With an amp that cannot accept audio via HDMI, how exactly is the O/P going to transfer the uncompressed LPCM audio to it?

Steve

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom