Have I just wasted £400?!

Buttons76

Established Member
Reaction score
Just purchased an iPad 2 after months of umming and aaaaahing.
I broke the speed limit all the home as I was so excited about playing with my new toy but now I feel deflated. :thumbsdow
Why are all my apps the same size on my iPad as they are on my iPhone?
Seems pretty pointless buying something with a larger screen if things won't fit to the screen!
I know there's a x2 button to enhance it but this makes it all grainy and gash. To be honest, I can't believe I've never read anything about this....

This makes me think 2 things:
1) I'm missing something really obvious
Or
2) people just put up with it (not sure I believe this though to be honest)

Would really appreciate any help / thoughts on this.... :confused:

The thing you'll find is... The apps you have sync'd to the Ipad are Iphone apps that are compatible.. You'll need to purchase Apps specifically for the Ipad, generallly have 'HD' in the title. Some Apps for the Iphone work for the Ipad in it's native resolution, vast majority don't so the developer get's more cash.

Enjoy your purchase, you made the right choice, for now.

Ok, so if I'm understanding correctly..... If I want to look at Facebook or twitter then I'm better using the website rather than my app as it will be bigger AND if I want to read sky news or sky sports I would again be better using webpage over app for same reason?

that brings me to my original question.....

Have I just wasted £400?! :mad::suicide::confused:

No, but perhaps you should have done more homework if you were somehow expecting all iPhone apps. to magically appear in full resolution on your new iPad. Most of them look perfectly OK using the x2 button, and as you buy new apps. just make sure you buy the iPad version. And yes, you probably will be paying slightly more than an iphone user, but it'll still be only a fraction of what you'd pay for a PC or Mac version, and of course many apps are completely free.

Nearly all of the popular apps have iPad versions - you just need to hit the iPad side of the App Store and get downloading!!!

Ok, so if I'm understanding correctly..... If I want to look at Facebook or twitter then I'm better using the website rather than my app as it will be bigger AND if I want to read sky news or sky sports I would again be better using webpage over app for same reason?:

no,

as already pointed out, you simply need to download the ipad optimised apps, they have 'HD' at the end.

Or, look for Apps with a small + sign in the price/purchase box, which indicates they will work at full screen on the iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch, but all in a single App.

There isn't an official Facebook App for iPad, but there are loads of third party ones or you can use the website.

Twitter does have an iPad App, as does Sky News and Sky Sports. You just need to spend some time on the App Store to find them.

Jailbreak and install Retinapad from cydia.. It makes a massive improvement on some iphone apps.. Then start to download HD apps for the future. :)

All: than you for all the replies.... I have spent some time this evening downloading new iPad compatible apps and all is good.
On hindsight, I was a little too quick to be negative but that's a result of it being hard work fornme to spend my hard earned! :thumbsup:

Ok, I have to admit... I'm feeling the iPad love now... Thank you :smashin:

A lot of the websites work really well on the iPad and no need for the apps like Facebook, Sky News etc;

That said there are plenty of popular apps that have not been converted on the iPad store which is quite shocking.

Jailbreak and install Retinapad from cydia.. It makes a massive improvement on some iphone apps.. Then start to download HD apps for the future. :)
And im pretty sure that Retinapad (version 1.1.1 works better for me btw) will allow a lot of the iphone apps to run maximised after the initial run.

Whats this 2x button for iphone apps on iPad? Ive not come across this.

Whats this 2x button for iphone apps on iPad? Ive not come across this.

look at the bottom right of your ipad screen when an iphone app is running

Will do. Ive never noticed anything there. :rolleyes:

Downloaded RetinaPad today after seeing this thread and have to say I'm impressed with the improvement on the iPhone apps. Well worth the £1.87!!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom