1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Have I just wasted £100

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by G Canavan, Sep 25, 2004.

1. G Canavan

G Canavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Bought a Harmony SST-659 hoping it would put an end to all my remote woes but instead I've added to them. It seems unable to control my Hitachi plasma or Pioneer NSDV99 all-in-one.
    Is there a universal remote out there that,

1) operates the actual systems you own.

2) doesn't need you to have Steven Hawkin on your speed dial to help
    program it.

3) and isn't the same size or price tag of a laptop.

It would be nice to find one that lived up to the claims on the box.

2. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    The one I had would not control the Thomson TV in the bedroom. Needless to say it went back.

3. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    Ive got the MX-500 nice remote £100 brand new from fpsgamer.. got mine from a us seller on ebay.

Very easy to setup.. does not like parity bit signals unless its in one of the preset codes.. but I was able to get round that for mine anyway.. very quick to get up and running.. excellent backlight as well..maybe worth a look.

Currently for me its running :

Arcam dvd
    skybox
    slim devices squeezebox
    Thomson TV
    Tag av32r

Matt

4. G Canavan

G Canavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I think the trouble with the US remotes is they don't have the preset codes for European models. The Harmony seems to accept the model no for my Hitachi plasma but I end up with a load of functions that don't exist on my model like PIP and it hasn't got a clue what to do with my Pioneer NSDV99 home cinema kit, Sky+ has me scrolling through two or three screens to find what I want.
    The photos of the MX 500 make it look limited as a Sky+ remote.

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    having used the H 655 UK model and had very few problems i suggest you ring tech support in Canada and see if there is a UK firmware available for the unit or access to the european code list

6. G Canavan

G Canavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Had an e-mail from them to say they don't have many European buyers so I'm pretty much stuffed.

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    see if you can swap for H 655........

8. The Robman

The Robman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My recommended solution would be to get a "One For All" brand learning remote (like the URC-7562) and JP1 cable, then you'll be able to program the remote from your PC and will be able to make it control every function for every device in your system.

With JP1 you can also consider US remotes as you're not bound to using the built in codes.

To see if JP1 is right for you, read this...
    http://www.hifi-remote.com/jp1/help/

If the OFA remotes available in the UK are too expensive, or you just don't like them, I have several US models available for sale (starting from $19 US) and can ship any of them to the UK for $9 postage.

9. doink

doink

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    buy a second hand pronto... as easy or complicated to use as you want.

10. FazerThou

FazerThou

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    You could try a pronto neo. Works for me.

11. RossC

RossC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    H655 bought in the UK does everything I've ever asked it to, and is very simple to set-up and use. Great product so far.

12. Skip67

Skip67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Hi guys, bit of a newbie flid so have just posted this post on another thread. It looks like you may be able to help me Horny Dragon (?!?!? ) so I thought I'd stick it on here as well. Here it is..

I'm looking for a similar type of remote as the author (family friendly etc) but am concerned that the remote may not utilise all my equipment. (I've never had a universal remote before, so bear with me.... :cool: )

I have a Pioneer PDP-434HDE plasma, Arcam DV-79 DVD, Yamaha DSP-A1 AMP and a Sky+ box. I also have an old Panasonic NV-HD600 VCR.

Will the Harmony 655 run all the functions or my amp or just the main ones ? I assume that I will still have to use the Sky remote for the Sky+ functions or is the Harmony capable of that as well ?

Sorry to sound a bit dense but, as I said, this will be my first Universal remote purchase.

Cheers.

13. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    H655 will do all sky+ fuctions.......:D Once amp is set up it will do most things it will auto switch video and audio sources ie there is a watch TV button which will turn on Plasma TV, AMP and sky+ or set Sky+ as PVR and have watch TV just turn on plasma and amp or just plasma... then press watch a movie amp will switch amp to DVD sound, turn off anything uneeded...... switch input on plasma to DVD input and away you go...

14. Skip67

Skip67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Thanks HD. So basically pretty simple then ?

I assume that, once set, it would also choose what sound option on the amp I had preset like Movie Theatre, TV/sports or whatever ? When in DVD mode do you know if the Harmony would enable you to switch between those settings, or even switch 'effects' off altogether ? ( I ask as with Withnail and I I find it best to switch 'enhanced Pro Logic' OFF......until they bring out a decent transfer that is.... :mad: )

( I just turned down a second hand one for £60 on eBay as well because the seller was a stroppy git... :( )

Is there a big difference between the UK and US ones then ? I see there are more listed in the States than here.

15. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    UK (europe ones) are a set up for uk devices ie they have SKY+ codes available for them.... BIG + also get warranty and stuff....

16. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
  17. Skip67

Skip67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Aye, I know what you mean. I never like to buy electronic stuff from overseas if I can help it. I was just considering it as there seem to be more Harmonys listed from the US on eBay, and I wanted to use my PAYPAL balance to fund it.

More about that on your Powerbuy thread mate...

18. Mike-M

Mike-M

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Horny,

I'm very interested in one of the 655's. Got the pronto at the minute which is OK but not very tactile. Searched the net only come back with one place to buy from, which in past experience often has no stock and don't bother telling you. Can you give me any info on other suppliers.
    Tried to access the thread you've posted but can't get to it for some reason?

Thanks

Mike

19. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    powerbuy has not materialised as i would have liked........... nevermind..... i can pointyou to a couple of of suppliers who stocked them locally but not on the web which is why i wanted to run the powerbuy...... but then people strat saying you can buy them from the US for $xx.xx etc and there was not enough interest and Spectra didnt want me to do it so removed the thread. SO i kinda gave up....... They are cracking remotes tho mate.

20. Mike-M

Mike-M

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Any chance of a PM with the details. I'd rather get a European version and start on the right track. Believe me I've spent a fortune in petrol returning remotes to Argos that did'nt work. Would much rather spend the extra now and get the bizz.

21. Mike-M

Mike-M

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Just had a thought, (it happens to the best of us).

I use an AV amp when watching DVD's and a stereo one when listening to music. Can the Harmony be programmed to deal with two different amp's?

22. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    YEs you set watch a DVD with AV amp and listen to music by stereo amp (activities are so much better than Macro

23. Antpink

Antpink

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    Canavan,
    Depends what you want the remote to do - just replace a bunch of remotes with one box, or set up so that you can do one-button activity based commands? I want to get a programmable remote for the latter, but availability in Singapore is crap, and buying from overeas is too risky, so I guess I'll wait until there's a market here - apparently Logitech will bring the Harmony here one day! Until then I have an old and trusty Sony RM2000 that works a treat with anything and everything I've tried it on, although the code database in this old unit is limited, so a lot of learning is required for newer components (like the TV, amp, CD player, DVD player, cable box, bedroom system - in fact everything bar the equally old VCR!!). And for limited one button stuff you can program the 3 system buttons with a series of commands (such as turning everything on and selecting correct source and mode for movies or TV watching), but is limited to only 3 on this model. It does for me, for now, and has now been upgraded to newer models that are probably better.
    Just somethng else you might consider...

24. Gizmo 76

Gizmo 76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +522
    Got my Harmony H655 Remote from HiFiBitZ today, speedy service :smashin:

Initial setup of the remote has been pretty painless, 10 minutes from opening the box, and the remote was running all my setup.

It is going to take a bit of tweaking on some of the devices, I don't want all the commands available really, just my most used ones.

The only downside of the remote so far is not actually the remote itself, but the software that is used to program it. It is a web based program, so being connected is a must. This is not a problem for me with broadband though, but it does make updating your remote a bit on the slow side. Also i think the software could be a bit more straight forward, I want to create a new activity just to select a certain input on my display (for my Xbox), now doing this is doesn't appear as easy as what it should, maybe i'll get use to it's quirks. But a piece of software on your computer(not web based) with an easier interface would be prefer'd.

But overall I can see me using this everyday without any issues, once tweaked
    ;)

Giz.