1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Have I just thrown away £100?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Comer, Mar 12, 2002.

1. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    I was down to buying the MAudio delta dio 24/96 or the Delta dio 24/48. I ordered the 24/96 at almost twice the price of the 24/48. I will only be using the pc for dolby digital watching DVDs. Have I just thrown away the bones of £100, would the 24/48 have been just as good as the 24/96 for DD passthrough? If anybody knows (99% sure anyway) perhaps they could let me know as it may not be too late to change my order.

Thanks

Conor

2. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    I doubt anyone here knows for sure, Cliff from Digital Connections would be the person to ask. You could to post on AVS and see if he bites.

Jeff

3. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would be interested to know too :), my only wild guess is that 24/96 is futureproof for Home Theatre?.

James

4. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,938
    why didn't you ask/find out/research before ordering?

5. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    Very good question. I did. The answer to the post that I put up suggested to go down the more expensive route. However if I had to make a mistake, I would prefere to be stuck with a sound card that was too good rather than not good enough.

Conor

6. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    I posted the origonal post at the Avsforum and yes Cliff Watson did bite (I wonder if he knew that it is from him I have ordered the sound card). The thread has developed into a discussion that is about six and a half miles over my head but I did get this to the question as to which card, the 26/48 or the 26/96:

duell
    Senior Member wrote:

"He does have a good point... since he's not decoding anything on the PC and only passing SPDIF, there probably isn't any real reason to get a 24/96 card..."

To which Cliff answered:

"Only if he does not mind loosing the bass resolution, high frequency clarity and hall effects."

Cliff Watson

The link to the full thread is here

I think that I'll let the order for the 26/96 card stand.

Conor

7. Jenz

Jenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ahem,

I use the 24/96 and did prefer its audio to the 24/48. Its a great card. Worth the extra? Yes if you are not on a strict budget. This card will stay with you as your experience/HCPC evolves. The 24/48 may not have.

Jenz.

8. mattr

mattr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    So how does the sound card make a difference to bit stream pass-thru then ? It's just compressed data - isn't it like asking which hard disk gives the best zip file quality ? I was just going to get a Soundblaster 4.1 for spdif output see.

This is all getting far too expensive :(

9. Xeonic

Xeonic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is the same answer to the coaxial/optical connection discussion - jitter! As much as we should believe the ads in local high street retailer, "digital" isn't perfect :( If so, that mp3 you downloaded should sound the same as the CD you bought and played 100 times...

The fact of the matter is when the soundcard/DVD/CD e.t.c processes it's info, some is lost/thrown away/misinterpreted, and then guessed at, corrected and put out the speakers ;) The difference between an average device and a better one is how accurate this conversion is.

If digital was perfect, we'd all have $10 soundcards and $100 DVDs, and $1 optical cables. Well I would anyway!!

10. mattr

mattr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I was going to say "is it down to jitter or something" and it is ! I know everything ! :rolleyes:

I'll investigate other soundcards anyway - I don't have a DTS amp but do have 5 analog inputs so might just as well look at DTS decoding soundcards with an spdif for DD.