Have i just been scammed?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Thug, Jan 23, 2018.

1. Thug

Thug
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,968
    Just received several emails to an email address that i ONLY use for accounts and some important online purchases (so not my usual email address).
    Most of them are to say that the account has not been successful, which were all with the same company called lookagain (using callcredit), where whoever has done this is using my surname (with both Mr and Miss before it) or the name Mr Cockburn or Miss Cockburn with an address in Peterlee (who i have no idea who these people are).
    However they have also managed to open and account with JD WILLIAMS and ordered some items (soft toy and clothing for just over £50).

I have contacted these companies, and the one that was unsuccessful LOOKAGAIN was via online chat and stated that they would pass it onto their team.
    The other JD WILLIAMS stated i had to send an email (which i have done).

I have no idea how they got my details or even if they have used a credit card, but will check with the bank.

I could understand if someone had gone through my bin, but they would have to guess my email address as its not spelt the same as my proper name.

2. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48,262
    It would certainly seem your security has been somehow compromised... Good job you are on top of it.

3. Jowsey

Jowsey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +380
    Not sure if you are already but may be worth signing up for MSE's credit club.

It's a complete credit report and file in conjunction with Experian (I think) for free. I'd start by going through that with a fine tooth comb!

4. Spendy26

Spendy26

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +363
    Did any of these emails have attachments? I get them daily to my work address and they simply get ignored. I would say its just a chancer! I even got one from next saying thanks for the order when i hadn't ordered anything. I think some people mainly people 50+ worry far to much about what pops up in the email box. If you didn't order anything then don't worry about it.

5. Thug

Thug
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,968
    I NEVER open attachment, even if off people i know (unless i confirm it with them first).
    I hardly use this email address. its only for online shopping accounts or for things like BT etc.
    I guess it could be a chancer, but they live about 30 miles away from me, so a little close to home.

On Saturday we went to Ernest Jones and paid for something on credit and the guy used a tablet to set it up, i am worried that this has been intercepted somehow.

6. DPinBucks

DPinBucks
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,015
    Get on to your card supplier ASAP and tell them what's happened. They'll be very helpful. If you can, look at the account online; there may be a suspicious pending transaction.

Did the email give any indication that they had actually used your card? They may have just been phishing.

7. Robbowal

Robbowal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,285
    When you say you contacted the companies i trust you looked them up and didn't use any details found within the email.
    And to echo the others contact your bank and inform them of the situation as it could give you more cover if anything were to go wrong, and change the password for the email address just to be safe.

8. Hixs

Hixs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,163
    Someone has your card details. Phone the bank and cancel them all.

Happened to me once many moons ago, luckily the bank blocked the purchase as it went against my spending patterns (ie I was poor and didn't spend).

9. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,464
    What seems odd to me is that they used your email address.

As I understand it they have got hold of your credit card details and tried to create accounts in your name but presumably using their address - otherwise how would they get the goods.

Most have failed (lookagain) presumably because they do a proper checks against the details provided, but one (J D Williams) has been successful.

But why would they use your email.

Are you sure the account creation have actually been attempted rather than these just being phising emails.

I.E. they have your email address not your credit card details.

Cheers,

Nigel

10. Thug

Thug
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,968
    I always search for a phone number or email address and not take the one on the email for granted.

I have checked my CC and both appear to be in order.

11. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,464
    Suspect it is phishing then - all they have is your email address and name.

Most email clients will show the true email address if you click on it or hover over it.

You will see then that rather than being from [email protected] it might be [email protected] or something totally different.

That is a sure sign of phishing.

Cheers,

Nigel

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
  12. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17,069
  13. FishDUDE

FishDUDE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +489
    I'd imagine your email address was stolen from one of the many security breaches, bt use equifax to credit check customers and had a large one a while ago I think. Not sure what was taken but it has happened a lot of late.

Or it maybe someone you emailed once with that email address was hacked and they are spamming all of the contacts

14. Doug the D

Doug the D
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15,875
    Please tell me that in your line of work you'd shred any information that's even remotely sensitive.

My rule is simple, if it's got anyone's name, address, or is medical in nature (box labels with names etc.), it all goes in the shredder.
    I bet loads of people throw credit card bills, prescriptions, bills from utility companies and all sorts in the recycling.

If anyone went through our bins, all they'd find of note is that we drink diet coke, my wife's addicted to fat free yoghurt at the moment, and we like Marmite. Not much use to a scammer.

Although thinking about it, I might stop using 'Marmite123' as my password for everything...:D

15. When In Rome

When In Rome
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,723
    We're fed up to the back teeth of scam emails and some of them (yes William McDonald Receivables Approved especially) you unsubscribe but it makes no difference and still they keep rolling in.

You can't reply to these cretins because their email addresses are fake, believe me I would love to throttle the lot of them. [​IMG]

Giftcards, bitcoin, bogus job offers, golden rule is multi-check anything coming in that is obvious scamspam and delete wildly. [​IMG]

16. Rog69

Rog69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,292
    Never hit the unsubscribe on these things, all you are doing is confirming that the email address is active and their efforts are getting through to someone, you will only make things worse.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  17. Thug

Thug
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,968
    It was more a figure of speech.
    Most the stuff we do now is paperless, and the rest is shredded. However it’s still easy enough to know personal details without going through bins as that’s sooooo 1990’s.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  18. Ste7en

Ste7en
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,382
    This. I used to joke that the 'Yes' and 'No' buttons under 'Are you sure you want to unsubscribe?' both returned 'No'. Best thing for this is block sender and spam folder.

It sounds to me like @Thug has used a site in the past that has had a breach.

One problem with rarely used email address is that people rarely change passwords etc.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  19. ChuckMountain

ChuckMountain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,303
    I don't think you specifically stated but am assuming you have changed your password on that email now?

20. When In Rome

When In Rome
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,723
    I know and I agree but someimes I do it because of frustration and anger. Someimes I will write and send a reply containing words that could never be repeated here, knowing the postmaster will return it but it makes me feel better. What I would physically like to do to these morons would also be unprintable. And I'm only a dog!

21. Showoff

Showoff
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,243
    Did JD WILLIAMS confirm that an account had been opened with your email address and items ordered?

Firstly I’d be surprised if they told you that. Secondly it makes no sense for a crook to use someone’s email to use their or anyone else’s credit card.

Most likely as others have said, they have your email and the emails you have received are not really from the companies they appear to be and it’s a phishing attempt.

22. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17,069
    Whilst totally agreeable advice, people mustn’t forget that most email is unencrypted and can be read by nearly anyone who knows what they are doing at multiple stages of the transfer. More often than not it is transferred in plain text and bouncing off several servers before reaching its destination. And even then the end client in nearly 50% of all internet traffic doesn’t use an encrypted connection to their server either.

As such, unless targeting someone specifically, the last thing I would do is make myself known and hijack their email account. It is much better and less noticeable to stand by and watch and read the email traffic ;)

23. When In Rome

When In Rome
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,723
    It ain't necessarily so... [​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. ChuckMountain

ChuckMountain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,303
    Yep I agree with you too on that point and that is why I cringe when a company sends a password through in the email either from a password reminder or here are your new account details. School boy error :facepalm:

It would have to be a fairly sophisticated hack though to snoop on one of the pipes that the messages are going through, given the sheer amount of volume of data going these days.

Incidentally I don't know long how long Gmail has been showing the level of encryption on email but it does tell you these days with a padlock. Not convinced by it yet though .....

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
  25. Thug

Thug
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,968
    Skip rat looking through commercial bins. Still plenty of that going on. People do it for food quite often (usually to feed pets, or so they say :thumbsdow).

26. When In Rome

When In Rome
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,723
    You're right. I Googled bin dippers and it all seemed to point towards people from Liverpool which I thought highly ambiguous and unfair when there's good and bad everywhere.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  27. Doug the D

Doug the D
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15,875
    I'm certain you're in a much more knowledgable position than I to know about the evolution of crime, but I'm fairly confident that there are still lots of low-tech or brute-force crimes happening in the modern world - one look at the recent spate of motorbike thefts in London (and other areas) tells us this; you don't get much more low-tech than a hammer and an angle grinder! Or even worse, the scrotes riding scooters and mugging pedestrians/ car users at knifepoint.

Whilst I don't think that my rubbish is routinely looked through, it only takes a few guys snooping around a few streets to gather a treasure trove of information on people's daily lives and routines, all useful to those that know what they're looking at. All it takes is one hotel reservation in the recycling bin for a crim to know exactly when a house is unoccupied, easy pickings...

28. krish

krish
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Astral Crescent, Zoovroozlechester, Betelgeuse V
    Ratings:
    +17,594
    yep and just don't click anything on the email
    - unsafe sites, malware, keyloggers etc ...

29. alan280170

alan280170
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,381
    Always throw some food waste on top of the bin, I find curry the best. ;)

30. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,464
    Interesting thing happened over the last couple of days.

I have been experiencing some fluttering in my left ear - I've since been to the GP and it looks like it is just a wax build up which simply needs cleaning out.

But when it first started I googled the symptoms and most hits came up with a form of tinnitus.

This morning I found I had three emails about cures for tinnitus. I can't accept that as a coincidence but what puzzles me is that during my googling at no point did I create an account, was logged into an account or provide my eMail address.

The eMails are not malicious, and the companies seem legitimate but their contact was unsolicited and very targetted. How did they get my email when all I did was visited related medical sites.

Cheers,

Nigel