Have I got this correct - Bose 700 and Sonos Arc

Currently I have a C7 LG OLED. Everything feeds into it - AppleTV and PS4. No earc on tv but it can pass lossy Atmos via arc.

1. Both the Bose 700 and Sonos Arc only have arc/earc compatibility.

2. The Bose only supports DD and DTS

3. The Sonos supports DD, and lossy Atmos via arc, and lossless TruHD via earc.

If I have got all this correct then the Sonos is the better choice on paper due to lossy Atmos still possible via arc, along with regular dd. Then if I ever upgrade my tv I have the possibility of lossless TruHD also.

Am I missing anything?

I will be purchasing the full setup of either unit.

Has anyone else had this decision between these two soundbars?
I have previously owned a Samsung N950 but hated it. Choppy connection, limited support from Samsung once the new model was released and content only really shined with full Atmos.

BillRawles

I don't know many of the specifics of both bars (I do know the Sonos only has one HDMI and doesn't do DTS:X) but I would not buy a single HDMI soundbar if relying on ARC. If my TV had eARC I might chance it but I just think the chances of lip sync issues are too high with the older version.

neo06

Currently I have a C7 LG OLED. Everything feeds into it - AppleTV and PS4. No earc on tv but it can pass lossy Atmos via arc.

1. Both the Bose 700 and Sonos Arc only have arc/earc compatibility.

2. The Bose only supports DD and DTS

3. The Sonos supports DD, and lossy Atmos via arc, and lossless TruHD via earc.

If I have got all this correct then the Sonos is the better choice on paper due to lossy Atmos still possible via arc, along with regular dd. Then if I ever upgrade my tv I have the possibility of lossless TruHD also.

Am I missing anything?

I will be purchasing the full setup of either unit.
Arc would be a better option as compared to Bose. Bose's software is terrible as compared to Sonos App. Additionally Sonos gives your more flexibility with its speakers. Like you can use Sonos One as surround speakers or you can take them out of the group and use them as a stereo pair too. The sonos sub can be used with any of its speakers while Bose Sub always needs a soundbar to work. You do get Atmos support with Arc.

Arc would be a better option as compared to Bose. Bose's software is terrible as compared to Sonos App. Additionally Sonos gives your more flexibility with its speakers. Like you can use Sonos One as surround speakers or you can take them out of the group and use them as a stereo pair too. The sonos sub can be used with any of its speakers while Bose Sub always needs a soundbar to work. You do get Atmos support with Arc.
thanks mate yeah I’m settled on the Sonos now for sure. Just have to wait for Au stock now! I’m still yet to see or hear one in the wild too!

That’s great to hear thanks mate. I have owned the Bose 300 which I loved but had to sell, and the N950 which didn’t really
Impress me. I have been torn between the Bose 700 based on past experience or the Sonos.

The Sonos is going to be the one I opt for!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Home AV, TV, Tech News & Reviews, Plus The Best of July 2020
Top Bottom