Have I got the room for a Monolith? Pictures within...

jetsetjimbo

Established Member
Reaction score
Yet another 'Monolith or XXLS400' thread...

This one is completely down to practicality and if I physically have the room. I’ve attached shots of my existing MS 309i in situ which is about 380mm square.

I was pretty much decided on the XXLS400 but having seen so many people on here plump for the Mono I’ve been wondering if I have the room to squeeze one in.

It will have to go in the same place as the existing sub, all be it taking up considerably more room.

Is a Mono just going to be too big or could I get away with it? :devil:

For reference my setup comprises of a Marantz SR8003 receiver and 5 x Arcam Muso speakers.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 339
  • untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 320
Looks like it will fit to me (a Tape measure or custom made cardboard box will confirm) and will look like a nicely finished table. You could even add a glass top as some here have done.

Bear in mind the the amp is on the long side and projects out a bit.

Regards

Mark

I would say it should fit fine (just measure to check), but a little overhang past the alcove won't hurt... I'd ditch the rack in the corner and move it into there.

As Mark says above add a glass top (which I have done to mine) and it looks like a purpose built table - Food for thought attached ;)

Attachments

• Mono3.jpg
    Mono3.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 330
Thanks guys. I was a little concerned boxing it in between the sofa and the walls on the corner might be to the detriment of the acoustics?

The shelving in the corner matches one in the opposite corner and they both have the rear speakers on them so they need to stay really.

Rob did you get the glass top custom made?

Thanks guys. I was a little concerned boxing it in between the sofa and the walls on the corner might be to the detriment of the acoustics?

The shelving in the corner matches one in the opposite corner and they both have the rear speakers on them so they need to stay really.

Rob did you get the glass top custom made?

The close proximity to the sofa for me is actually good, you get some real butt-shaking effects when craking it up! Ok understand about the corner unit, I still think you could fit it, even if it means tweaking the sofa to the right a bit perhaps?

Yes I did get the glass top custom made, check out this post for details:
http://www.avforums.com/forums/15571356-post94.html

Right time to measure up :)

You're running an Antimode Rob. Has it had a big impact?

Where did you get the glass from? Just wondering where I'd need to look...

As you've got audyssey on your marantz I wouldn't bother with the anti mode. It's good if you've got no EQ, but I found audyssey did just as good a job and sold mine.

I found that putting some DVD cases out or something to make up the size make it better to work out the size .. the mono is not much in size bigger but more hight than anything.

Looks to me Like it would fit in going on the time I have spent looking and checking up for my self, Hope your finding have been good.

Richard

jetsetjimbo said:
Right time to measure up :)

You're running an Antimode Rob. Has it had a big impact?

Where did you get the glass from? Just wondering where I'd need to look...

Yes I am running an antimode, to be honest I don't actually know how much impact it's had on the monolith as I ran it with my previous xls200 and kept it in place. Perhaps I should try it in bypass sometime!! But on my xls200 it made a real difference and levelled out boominess I had, and peaks I didn't want. I'll try it in bypass this weekend to see if it makes a difference now :)

Re the glass, I had it made by a local glass company, came in at around £18 from memory...

Best of luck with the measuring ;)

Last edited:
I found that putting some DVD cases out or something to make up the size make it better to work out the size .. the mono is not much in size bigger but more hight than anything.

Looks to me Like it would fit in going on the time I have spent looking and checking up for my self, Hope your finding have been good.

Richard

That's a lot of DVD cases :D Have you gone for a Monolith?

Rob - Would be interested to hear what difference you find with the Antimode on bypass. How much difference they make seems be greatly dependent on the natural acoustics of the room. Is your room square?

The position in my room is in the inside corner of an open plan space.

I think it would fit either with the long side running along the sofa or along the wall with the radiator. I was wondering whether to go for the FF or the DF version. I think the DF will allow more flexibility with placement?

Why don't you try using your receiver audyssey setup before you think about an antimode as they basically do the same thing as I said before. If you don't use your marantz room setup for some reason then they antimode will do the job, but if you already have it, then you should use it.

Rob - Would be interested to hear what difference you find with the Antimode on bypass. How much difference they make seems be greatly dependent on the natural acoustics of the room. Is your room square?

I think it would fit either with the long side running along the sofa or along the wall with the radiator. I was wondering whether to go for the FF or the DF version. I think the DF will allow more flexibility with placement?

Yes I'll give it a go this weekend and will let you know, my room I think is not too dis-similar to yours, my lounge opens up into a dining room, so left of the pic I have posted up there is a small amount of wall and then an archway to the dining area and my sofa is on the right that you can just see. The lounge is actually square with the dining opening on one side.

If I were you I'd go for a DF version so you have no orientation issues around placement. Plus it will blend better and look like furniture. See if you can get a box made out of old cardboard to size and see how it looks. Thats what I did to make my mind up.

Why don't you try using your receiver audyssey setup before you think about an antimode as they basically do the same thing as I said before. If you don't use your marantz room setup for some reason then they antimode will do the job, but if you already have it, then you should use it.

Good call Pete, I'll certainly give that a try in the first instance.

Rob - Let me know how you fair with the bypass. DF it is.

Now i'm wondering if I should go all out and get the '+' but I think that's just overkill, especially given that I live in a semi :devil:

I went for the plus as once I'd got as far as deciding on the Monolith I might as well go the whole hog otherwise I'd have always thought I should have paid that little extra?

regards

Mark

I went for the plus as once I'd got as far as deciding on the Monolith I might as well go the whole hog otherwise I'd have always thought I should have paid that little extra?

regards

Mark

I'm not sure it's just complete overkill though. It doesn't go quite as deep as the standard does it but can go louder?

It's also bigger I think...

That's a lot of DVD cases :D Have you gone for a Monolith?

Well As some will know I am very indecisive always thinking what if. So at night it got to me .. I had the 400 on order in gloss black and started to think after reading up all the coments on the monolith how good it was and people saying if you have the space go for it.. so the next day I spent time on the phone with them. Started off my call with I was looking at there subs . after a long chat I was told that the Monolith would be better for films and fit my needs better if I could find space for it got for that, So I then told him to change my order after all its not every day you order a sub like this. I know when it turns up I will be happy and thinking OMG but at the same time I will not be thinking what if.

For me the gloss black and the extra £27 to have the monolith and never have to think what if just did it for me ... that and the long call.

My next problem is I think I need to upgrade my amp even more now .. there is no fancy tricks to help me sort out any problems or level set-up.
Just a shame the Yamaha A2 has not stopped working feel bad upgrading when there is nothing wrong with it.

I say nothing wrong it works 100% but its missing all the nice connections and set-up things.

Richard.

im in same situation xls400 or mono , the mono will look huge in my room but about same size as my hifi rack lol
arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

When did you order Richard? What sort of lead time have BK quoted you?

im in same situation xls400 or mono , the mono will look huge in my room but about same size as my hifi rack lol
arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

It'll be fairly big in my room too but the 400 isn't that small really... I'm leaning towards the Mono. See it as furture proofing. :)

Personally I'm not someone that upgrades often so I figure I might as well go for something that's going to satisfy my requirements for the forseeable future!

When did you order Richard? What sort of lead time have BK quoted you?

When I did the order for the 400 I was told week starting the 12th dec ... when I changed the next day for the mono I was told 3 weeks

I phoned up on the 30th yesterday to change the order and was told it might not be before xmas as 3weeks was very close to the shut down for xmas :-(

As I see it .. if you get the 400 you will think what If and if you get the mono you with be thinking OMG how big, But you will still find space for it

When I did the order for the 400 I was told week starting the 12th dec ... when I changed the next day for the mono I was told 3 weeks

I phoned up on the 30th yesterday to change the order and was told it might not be before xmas as 3weeks was very close to the shut down for xmas :-(

Boo! Less of a queue for the 400 then, I better get my order in! What finish have you gone for?

yea looks that way ,,,,, makes them more special :p

so you going to ring up and order one ????

have a chat with them see what they say 400 or mono

Richard

I'm just going to order one online tonight I think. I'm going to be out all day tomorrow and just want to get the order in there.

I'm decided on the Mono now. If I get a 400 I'll always wonder if I should have just gone for the Monolith.

:smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom